Carefresh bedding - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC Chinchillas View Post
I won't use it. I have seen people with chinchillas who ate it and died due to intenstinal blockage. I know someone who's chinchilla chocked on it and died. I just stick with pine
Pine& cedar isnt even safe for any small animal....btw... D0N'T even consider switching to it..

I liked Lisa's answer,I loved aspen& yesterday's news mixture.Yesterday's News on the bottom,aspen on top,or aspen in the cage,yesterdays news in the litterbox for those that were littertrained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Part of the Pack

Thats scary about the chinchilla having an intestinal blockage from the carefesh. I kind of gave up on bedding a while ago when all Henry would do was shove it to the sides of his cage or send it flying out of his cage. Since then, he just had his bed, house and litter box. When my new bunny comes home, I'm justgoing to use the stuff i use for my mice in his litter box,its hemp bedding, Ilike it. Its low dust and pretty good for odour control! I wont buy that carefresh stuff again I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

normal pine is bad for them but if it's kiln dried it's fine. All of my little ones are on it (the bag has to say kiln dried)... isnt yesterdays news pellets?? (not sure).. Oh I was at the petstore the other day and found that annoying nesting material they sell that can get wrapped around feet and can kill little animals if eatten even though it says it's safe.

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:15 AM

Did a search online & theres a debate on whether kiln dried is fine...some say yes,others say they wouldn't risk pine,period.
Anyone know 110% sure? A lot of it seems to be the chemical reaction urine has on the pine shavings.With those types of beddings its the phenols& hydro-carbons thats harmful.

Maybe kiln died 'is' "safer",it does go through an intense heat process.Hmm...

I havent ever saw it in stores around me.Just the regular pine& cedar blends.

Yes YN (yesterdays news) is in pellet form.

& That bedding you are talking about,that soft stuff,often marketed for hamsters,you are correct,its highly dangerous.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ive seen cedar marketed towards small animals and really couldnt beleive it, all of the things they make that are really unsafe for the little ones, Usually I buy a huge bag of kiln dried pine the main use for it is for horse stalls but it also has directions and such for small animals. Hamster houses - mainly not safe my gerbil chewed the roof off and swallowed a couple of the nails used to hold it on before i even knew it had nails in it, litter boxes and other soft plastic "toys"-could eat pieces and get really sick, never seen anyone litter box train a hamster or gerbil mine are all too willing to chew anything plastic up. watch what you buy the small animals most things are really unsafe. mine have a coconut in each cage (they chewed all the fur stuff off and people dont beleive its real anymore lol) lots of cardboard tubes and after i clean the cages I put a tube stuffed with timothy hay in to make a nest and then later give them some paper, and some toilet paper to chew through and add to the nest they love it

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:38 AM
the rodent lover<3

I use CareFresh and my gerbils seem to love it, I think my mom bought Ultra this time, and it seems way better!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

mine just get covered in dust all the time and it seems like they sneeze alot more, maybe your dont chew it up as much as mine do because my friend uses carefresh for her guinea pig and she does alright with it

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 08:19 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerbilCrazy View Post
mine just get covered in dust all the time and it seems like they sneeze alot more, maybe your dont chew it up as much as mine do because my friend uses carefresh for her guinea pig and she does alright with it
Do you give your Gerbies some extra stuff, such as Toilet Paper, Cardboard rolls, peices A cereal box? If not, try it. They chew it up and use that as their litter too. That may prevent some of the dust!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx Angelica<3 View Post
Do you give your Gerbies some extra stuff, such as Toilet Paper, Cardboard rolls, peices A cereal box? If not, try it. They chew it up and use that as their litter too. That may prevent some of the dust!
Agreed with that ^_^.

Anyway;;

I love carefresh, although I've never tried ultra, I'll try and remember that next :p.

It really helps the odor, but yes, it does have dust. But other than that, all my pets love it.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I use the CareFresh Ultra. My hams all seem to like it, although it is dusty when I dump it out, but it seems to settle once it's in the cage. I tried aspen, but one hammie was allergic to it and it just didn't seem very soft for them. To each his own I guess!!! As long as what you're using is safe and your pets are happy with it, use what you like!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:59 PM

I use CareFresh Ultra for my ratties and they love it. They love burying themselves in it. The Ultra isn't really as dusty. It comes out dusty but then it settles and I never really see any of the bedding on them except when they just come out from underneath a huge pile of it XD

But I had to do trial and error with bedding, especially with the hairless rat....I think it's mostly to each their own with that.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 10:29 AM
http://simplyhomemade.org

It gets nasty way to fast in my opinion. Petco generic paper bedding works a lot better.

-
-
-
-

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Playful Pup

In my opinion, its not terrible, but it could use a lot of help. I don't think its worth the price. I use ultra and used to not to because my hamster, well he has an inflamed behind weirdly so I have to use soft bedding. Before I had used aspen and he kept on nipping at his rear because it was irritating him.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." ~ Roger Caras
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

I used Carefresh natural, and it has a bad smell to it.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Newborn Pup

we use it for my daughter gerbils and at first had a hard time getting use to the scent but eventually grew accustomed to it.

Tags
care fresh