Carefresh Pet Bedding - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Playful Pup

I love Carefresh. =] I've tried a whole bunch of different bedding types before... but none of those just quite cut it. I had once used Cedar Chips with my Guinea Pig, and turns out... that was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. Poor Emma =[ We won't get into it. But now, I use Carefresh for all 8 of my gerbils and they love it! I'd say it blocks out the smells pretty well too. I've also found that it absorbs quite quickly

My Pets:

[[2 dogs]] Snickers [mine] & Skooter [my mom's]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[[3 fish]] Peppermint, Periwinkle, & Peach Fuzz

[[1 Hamster]] Marshmallow

[[4 gerbils]] Basil & Paris [my pretty girls] and Posh & Buddy [my crazy men] =P

[[RIP]]

x Opal, Serena, Kiera, & Myles.
I love you all so much! You guys were awesome Gerbs. =(
I hope you're back together & having fun like you used to!

x Diablo (July 4th 1995 - Jan 15 2007)
I love you too Bobo! It hurts me so bad to know the pain you went through your last few months!

To all of you; my love. <33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Part of the Pack

I love carefresh too. I bought Cedar once too by accident. I got it for my first Hamster Heidi, she totally hated it, she dove to the top level of her cage and would not got to the lower level where the cedar was. At the time, I so spoiled her, I thought since she didn't like it I would change it to the other stuff I used back then. Later on I found out all the health problems it causes. Thank goodness she let me know right away that she did not like it at all.
post #33 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Part of the Pack

I used aspen once, because none of the petstores were open (Hurricanes, forgot which one it was, so many x.x) and my rat's parts where turning odd colors X__X I had to go to walmart, which has no idea how to care for small animals, and two hours later he started sneezing up a storm, which scared me to death, my first rat sneezed alot before he died =\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 05:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

I don't hate carefresh, but I no longer use it either.I use aspen.I started buying carefresh and then Saukrates, one of my rats developed an allergy to it...so I stopped using it all together.It is also very expensive! I can get a big bag of aspen for $6, while a smaller bag of carefresh is like $10!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #35 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:36 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I think Kaytee Soft-Sorbent bedding is the best.
post #36 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:38 AM
Part of the Pack

I have to use the aspen it doesn't have the oils in it, I have 6 cages so I can afford the carefree I looked at because my gerbils noses were turning red all the time, I was using pine at that time. they are doing fine with the aspen bedding

Captain Jack sparrow
"There will be no living with her after this"

This is my first baby Girl Nibbles, isn't she so so cute!!!
post #37 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Playful Pup

I've NEVER Used Care Fresh because of the Price.

But a Bag of it is in the New Hammie Cage Kit I bought made by Super Pet, So I'll let ya know what I think once I get it all set up and a Hammie put in it.

But if it Mildews that Quick I won't be able to use it even if I wanted to as my Wife is Severely Allergic to Mold and Mildew.
So I have to keep all of my Cages SUPER CLEAN with daily changes of WET Shavings.

I don't like Aspen because of the Price.

And noemal pine is to dusty.

But I use a Kilin Dried Pine Shavings bought in a 5 Cubic Foot Bale at a Local Farm Supply, that is Sifted to remove the majority of the dust.

It last me about a month and only runs me around 6 Bucks.

So it'll probably be Kilin Dried for my New Hammie to.

But I'll let ya know what I think...

This is ME at the Pet Shop and the Doors Locked:
Let ME in, Com'on Let Me in....

Pets You just Gotta Have'm.

And You can't Help but Love'm.

And You can't Just STOP at One.
post #38 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Part of the Pack

I use the Aspen because my gerbils aren't allergic to it, but it is dusty too. That care fresh is not for me, not only is it expensive it is in a small bag, I have 6 cages to do that is not enough for me I like the aspen though, I had pine and poor babies' noses were so red all the time, I had to put antbiotic ointment on them

Captain Jack sparrow
"There will be no living with her after this"

This is my first baby Girl Nibbles, isn't she so so cute!!!
post #39 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I can't stand CareFresh. It's ugly, smelly when wet, mildews quickly, dusty, and it sticks to things when wet. Someone said it's like paper mache but it's more like glue. (not to mention too expensive when you are changing 20+ cages per week) Yuck!
So, all 20+ chinnies, rabbit and ratties all use kiln dried pine.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #40 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I got the gray carefresh a long time ago when I got my chin. I read that it was best. I hated it. Chins aren't really dirty animals but it smelled within a few days. Since we had a good amount of cages, the lady I lived with at the time went and bought a big huge bag of kiln dried pine at a southern states for $6 I thnk. That would last a long time and was cheap, and the only thing Ih ad to do in return was clean and basically take care of her daughters hamster and guinea pigs. I didn't find it bad, with my 6 cages I had to clean, 2 more weren't that bad.
At the beginning of this year, my mouse had babies, and I decided to buy the carefresh because It hought it would be better than wood chips. The one thing I noticed and actually discouraged me more than price from buying it again was the dust on my pinkies. Plus at $10 for a small bag, I would use that in one cleaning of all my cages. The big bag really isn't that much more, and I bet I could use half of it filling the bottom of my rats cage. I bought aspen instead, and actually it does keep the smell down. (I forgot to mention that I bought the carefresh ultra).
The only carefresh I would buy now is the $5 bags of the pink carefresh for my neices mouse cage because she loves pink. She's going to have 2 females, so I don't think the smell will be too bad. I might even mix it with a little bit of aspen. I think carefresh is one of the worse beddings and I would ether stick to aspen or kiln dried pine. I can get a HUGE bag of aspen for $10 and at a farm supply store it'll probably be cheaper.

*Missy*
post #41 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Also it is true, on the white carefresh, it looks dirty in a day from the poop. It does look gross, and like the cage hasn't been cleaned in weeks.

*Missy*
post #42 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Part of the Pack

I tried carefresh on my mice, ew XP
The smell was AWFUL and since they're in my room it's twice as bad XD I stuk 'em with wood shavings now, much better =) But I still use arefresh for the rats, they don't smell, well, right now it smells like hard boiled egg, 'cause I just smashed one for them, lol.
post #43 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubie
I tried carefresh on my mice, ew XP
The smell was AWFUL and since they're in my room it's twice as bad XD I stuk 'em with wood shavings now, much better =) But I still use arefresh for the rats, they don't smell, well, right now it smells like hard boiled egg, 'cause I just smashed one for them, lol.
Out of curiosity, what kind of wood shavings do you use? You do know that pine or cedar is toxic, right?I use aspen and find it the best so far!There is a hemp kind of small animal bedding I heard was safe and wanna try it!Has anyone here tried that??

* Lisa *

post #44 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Part of the Pack

I was talking to my friend about the dangers of pine bedding and she said she used pine, or cedar, I don't remember and she had her mice for 5 years =x Not saying that doesn't make it dangerous tho ^^
I doubt the bedding is pine, it doesn't smell piney. But I had to do something about the smell, it made me gag when ever I walked into the room, regular zoo smell I can handle. Mildow moldy urine smell gets you right in the nose and then down your throat >.o
The shavings are exactly the same thing the petstore used, they have a big trash can and they fill a bag for you o_o So it's a mystery bedding..
post #45 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

Nah...pine is not good at all...it is toxic.I know people who use it too, but that doesn't make it right...they really are poisoning their animals.

I know the mouse smell!I have 11 right now and they are kept in an animal room and it always stinks of mouse smell, even when the cages are cleaned!I am used to it, since I have raised mice for years...but it does still stink...especially the boys!

* Lisa *

Tags
ball python, carefresh bedding, corn cob, corn cob bedding, doing fine, dried pine, dried pine shavings, feline pine, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, litter box, litter boxes, pet supplies, pine bedding, pine shavings, prairie dog, prairie dogs, timothy hay, wood shavings