Carefresh Pet Bedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Carefresh Pet Bedding

What do you think of this? Carefresh Pet Bedding
I like it because it can be used for several different kinds of animals!

I use it for my ferrets & am much happier with it than with other beddings/litters I have used in the past.

Overall- it does an excelent job of absorbing odors & keeping the dust down. Although it is not 100% dust free is is less dusty than other products. I have found it also doesn't dry out the ferrets skin as bad either!

So what do you think? What animals do you or have you used this product for??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I tried it with my chins and would never buy it again. I HATE the way it smells when wet and I don't feel it did any better for me than Aspen does, which is much less expensive.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:51 PM

I agree with Jade, I tried it with the chins and the hedgies and HATED it. Aspen or kiln dried pine are cheaper and do a better job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Miss New Booty

We use it and like it, we rotate between Carefresh and Yesterday's News. Feline Pine was good, too, but it was a tad dusty. I guess it's all preference. I didn't like the Aspen as much for some reason.

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks gals for your input - it is all important!

I can't use aspen or pine with the ferrets cause of the scents involved. I could tell you something worse *cough* corn cob bedding *cough* but it may start a debate lol.

I'll start a new thread for that one though.
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:44 PM
I Heart My Job

I use it for my hamster because you can't get aspen in the stores around here, only the really nasty cedar and pine stuff. It's not bad, but I'd probably rather she had wood shavings. Having never been exposed to aspen, I can't really compare.

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Herp Nerd

I tried to use Carefresh with my snakes at one point. It just became a soppy mess every time they went to the bathroom, and mildewed stunningly quickly if there was even a hint of moisture around. I switched back to aspen, I find it much easier to deal with for my (and my animal's) needs. For my rodents, I use kiln dried pine or aspen as well.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:20 AM
Part of the Pack

I was using carefresh for my hamsters but they were always sneezing so I switched to the aspen and it cleared it up right away.

post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:30 AM
I Heart My Job

I've never had a sneezing problem with the hamsters.

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

I agree with what Steph said. I didn't care for it.
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmaster
I've never had a sneezing problem with the hamsters.
That is so weird. Both of mine used too at least they would do what sounds like a sneeze.

It only stopped when I changed the bedding.

I do use carefresh as a backup when I run out of Aspen though.

post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Because of my allergies to wood shavings of any type, I use Carefresh. I would never use anything different. I go a week without changing any of my cages (unless a waterbottle leaks or something) and I think it's great. My babies sneeze for a few hours after I change the cages but then they're fine. When I used Aspen, Gordy, who is my guinea pig (and my only critter at the time... the one who started it all...) would sneeze all the time. Her eyes would water constantly, not to mention my eyes and nose... I love Carefresh. I wish they sold it in 100 Liter bags. That's about what it takes to clean all of my cages each week. It's expensive, but worth it.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

The regular (gray colored) carefresh held urine odor too much, but the new ultra (white colored) is wonderful, and doesn't smell!

post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Part of the Pack

I think Carefresh is awesome, I just can't afford it with the number of cages I have!

post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 08:12 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6496
I was using carefresh for my hamsters but they were always sneezing so I switched to the aspen and it cleared it up right away.
hmmm... quite the contrary with me: I have used wooden shavings for my hamster (the very first one in a grown family), and she was sneezing. after switching to Carefresh, sneezing has stopped. since Kuzia has got used to that type of bedding, I buy huge bags of Carefresh every time and use it for all my hamsters (I have 4 right now: 3 syrians and 1 dwarf, but Kuzia - the one that was sneezing - is a possible mom-to-be... hope-hope )

Tags
ball python, carefresh bedding, corn cob, corn cob bedding, doing fine, dried pine, dried pine shavings, feline pine, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, litter box, litter boxes, pet supplies, pine bedding, pine shavings, prairie dog, prairie dogs, timothy hay, wood shavings