The Comfort Harness... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

The Comfort Harness...

What are your opinions or experiances on these? They come in sizes for bunnies,piggies and ferrets and also rats.I was interested in getting one for my rats, but would like to get some reviews on them first...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
What are your opinions or experiances on these? They come in sizes for bunnies,piggies and ferrets and also rats.I was interested in getting one for my rats, but would like to get some reviews on them first...
my son wanted to get a harness for his piggies too. i haven't really looked at them yet though.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:57 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I wouldn't get them for your guinea pig. I have heard many stories about them. They can easily get out of them. They could also easily break thier back. A GPs spine does not bend backwards, like other rodents, so if it was to run to fast and get to the end of the leash, "snap" that could break its spine. Not to mention guinea pigs are prey animals. THey would most likely be terrified if you tried to walk them. I don't know about Rats, seems like they could easily get out of it also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Playful Pup

i have always had problems finding leashes for guinea pigs that work. they always seem to get out of them. good luck.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree with Ambieruns10 about not getting one for a GP, they are are too delicate of a creature to withstand a harness and the risk of injury is far too great.. I honestly don't understand why they even make them for piggies. The thought has never even crossed my mind to put a leash on either of my boys.

Sorry I just had to put my 2 cents in about guinea pigs, I have no idea about rats though
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
I wouldn't get them for your guinea pig. I have heard many stories about them. They can easily get out of them. They could also easily break thier back. A GPs spine does not bend backwards, like other rodents, so if it was to run to fast and get to the end of the leash, "snap" that could break its spine. Not to mention guinea pigs are prey animals. THey would most likely be terrified if you tried to walk them. I don't know about Rats, seems like they could easily get out of it also.
Awww...poor piggies...I never knew that about them...such a sin if that happened.

Rats like being outdoors, but yeah they are prey items for some animals, thats why I don't let them far from me, plus they usually don't stray from me anyway.I had a guinea pig harness, it was adjustable and I had it on one of my old rats with no problem before, she never got out of it and it stayed on...however I lost that long ago...

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:47 PM

Thats why guinea pigs should never have a ball or wheel to play in.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
I heard that...I heard that those balls for guinea pigs are not a good idea...but I never heard why...yikes!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:

Just curious why. Because we are going to adopt a hamster at a shelter tomorrow, and about a few months ago we accidently ordered a ball big enough for a guinea pig, and we will be donating this item because she also has 5 guinea pigs there. If you mean that they can easily get out of them, I usually tape mine when my hamsters are in them, or are they dangerous in another way?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:05 PM

Guinea pigs shouldn't use them at all. They are bad for thier backs. A guinea pigs spine doesn't bend backwards like most other rodents. They could easily break thier back playing in a ball or wheel.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePaws
Just curious why. Because we are going to adopt a hamster at a shelter tomorrow, and about a few months ago we accidently ordered a ball big enough for a guinea pig, and we will be donating this item because she also has 5 guinea pigs there. If you mean that they can easily get out of them, I usually tape mine when my hamsters are in them, or are they dangerous in another way?
As I just learned, guinea pigs can ruin their spines in those balls...

Hehe, I tape my ball when my gerbil is in it too, only because it opened once!!

* Lisa *

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
As I just learned, guinea pigs can ruin their spines in those balls...

Hehe, I tape my ball when my gerbil is in it too, only because it opened once!!

thanks I will let that lady at the shelter know about that.

Yeah, one of my hamsters learned fast that if she banged her ball hard enough the lid would come off and she ended up having a half an hour tour in my kitchen, mainly behind the refrigerator
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Part of the Pack

I tried it on my rat, Spirit, absoultly hated the thing 83
He had a weird reaction, he would get all stiff, then wobble around, like a drunk. Finally he wobbles to a corner and workes his way out of it, jumping and snuffing in distaste.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Glowing New Mommy

Actually i had a harness for my guinea pigs.... they liked it... not putting it on but being able to go out in the summer, they enjoyed themselves..of course i never pulled on it or tried to walk them, it just ensured they wouldnt run away.. but oh yeah, i would NEVER get a ball... i had a harness for my rat when i was little.. not the comfort one, but a harness none the less, and they liked that too.. i guess ive always had very social pets

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Part of the Pack

My rat is social, they just hate, with all their hearts, things around their necks.

Tags
guinea pig