Cooling Pet Bed - Anyone have this? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Cooling Pet Bed - Anyone have this?

Does anyone have this cooling bed from Drs. Foster and Smith, or one similar?

Dog Beds: Cool Bed III for Dogs at Drs. Foster & Smith

Please provide your opinions.

They had something different earlier in the year, which didn't require filling with water but were out of stock. Now they don't have it anymore. You have to fill this one with water...I have cats. I do trim their claws, but still, if they manage to puncture it, what a mess.

They are indoor only, and I'll probably stick this in the 3 season room. We do not have air conditioning, as we have a boiler system and it can get pretty warm in here.

We renovated the basement in large part so the cats would have a cooler place to hang out, but they don't seem to go down there when they're home alone . So, I'm always trying to provide cooling alternatives for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

I found this site too...but it says the mats recharge in 3-5 minutes, which suggest chemical reaction?? I'd be concerned about safety. It doesn't say what they're filled with.

ThermoCool Pet Mats - Thermo Mats
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Smile

It sounds like a great concept! I just wish I knew a little more about the product as well.

-K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I forgot about this thread~

Here's the girls enjoying their Cool bed III. They LOVE it, and it really does seem to work as advertised. It stays cool even to my touch when the house is pretty warm. On the days when it was expected to be miserably hot I would stick in the fridge for a few hours at night, and then cover it with a towel for day time use.

My boyfriend says he wants one in his size - it's really nice and squishy.

I'm keeping this one in the 3 season room, which is where kitties like to spend lots of their time. But, I'm considering getting a second one for upstairs since it get so stinking hot up there.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:55 AM

Ohh nice!! No leaks or the like?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
Ohh nice!! No leaks or the like?
Not yet. I was worried about that, having cats, but I trim their claws regularly and it seems made of pretty durable rubber. I've only had it a few weeks though, so I can't give a long term opinion yet.

On days it's really hot and I put it in the fridge it does get condensation from the temp difference though, that's why I stick a towel on top. It's not even enough to soak a towel - the top is still dry (but cool) for kitties to lay on.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:15 AM

They sound very good i wonder if i could get lucy one my 10 mth puppy but saying that she would chew it and then it would be no good
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria
They sound very good i wonder if i could get lucy one my 10 mth puppy but saying that she would chew it and then it would be no good
I had to supervise my girls with it at first because Goblin did a couple of investigative nibbles, but I redirected her and never let it down with them unattended until I was sure she wasn't interested in chewing it. Puppies are much bigger chewers though! So rotten, but cute!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 10:04 PM

I haven't tried the cool bed III. What we use is a "Pacific Plush Pet Bed". It doesn't use water, but it has a flax seed filler and can be chilled in the freezer, or heated in a microwave. My dog has had one for just over a year, and he loves it! It's great because if we're going to the beach for a picnic, we just put it in a plastic bag and stick it in the cooler with our lunch. It keeps Pepsi, (our dog), nice and cool. In the late Fall and Winter, we just "nuke" it for about 4 minutes, and it keeps him comfortable for hours!

I also like the fact that the cover's made if "minkie chinelle",(forgive me if I mis-spelled it), on top. It feels like a soft velvet.The bottom is nylon, so it just wipes clean. Best of all, it's is removable and machine washable. The bag inside is made of a material they call a "ballistic nylon", and hasn't punctured, or ripped!

Is there anyone else who has one of these? We had bought ours at a trade show last year and they said that they were going to sell them in ebay in 2007. I hope they did, because I think it's something that would really fly! Sorry if I sound like an infomercial, but this is one of the most practical things I ever got for our Pepsi!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Hi Mike!
Welcome to Paw-Talk! I've seen similar items, altough I'm not sure if was your item specifically. I'd always wondered how long they'd stay warm/cool with that type of filling. Thanks for the info! There'd certainly be less to worry about with leakage, and it would certainly weigh less if you wanted to travel with it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:19 PM

I make bedding for my ferrets and I just add a velcro "pocket" to some of their bedding and stick a frozen waterbottle inside. Works well for them.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 11:15 PM

Hi Millie,

Sorry for taking so long to reply; it was my birthday on the 4th.

In answer to your question, the heating / cooling effect lasts for about 3 hours on average, and it only takes about 2-3 minutes to re-heat,(depending on your microwave).In the freezer, I just leave it in there for an hour or so, .It says you could leave it in there for as long as you like. Hot, or cold, my Pepsi just loves it!

Tags
dog bed