Frosty Paws frozen dog treats - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

arent great danes sensitive to food etc. i know they are an easy breed to get bloat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

Yup, they are prone to bloat. She's had a preventative gastropexy many years ago and has never really had any problems in terms of bloat or digestion (we've been really lucky with her in every aspect, she's 11 years old!). I think it was just one of those things that don't agree with her (she's had regular ice cream and ice with no problems).

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

I got these a while ago, and I havent gotten any in a long time becuse I havent gotten around to it, but my dog loves these. The only down side about it is that my hand gets cold while I hold it for him while he licks it. But other than that, they are awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

I give these to Molly and Lucy and they haven't had any problems. Didn't realize there were feeding instructions though, I just let them eat how much they want lol. I put it in a bowl and let Lucy go at it, since she's so small she just licks at it and takes a few bites and she's done. Then I let Molly finish it off. First time I gave one to her she licked at it until it was gone, now she puts the whole thing in her mouth and chews it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Glowing New Mommy

Theres feeding instructions on how to give your dog ice cream? doesnt make to much sense to me

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Naked Dog Mom

I got some for Ein once (we are struggling to keep his weight close to normal, so he does not get high calorie treats very often) and we had no problems with it.

I never noticed the feeding instructions, either. I just opened it up, put it in a bowl, and laughed at him while he pushed the bowl all over the kitchen trying to lick up (and then chew up) the ice cream.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Naked Dog Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Lee Mommy
about ice...I was afraid he'd choke on it when the piece gets small....those of you with small dogs...how are they with ice cubes?
I'm not sure if you consider a corgi "small", but he adores ice and has no problems with it. He just chomps and chomps (I think he chews ice into smaller bits more than he does anything else). I suppose it's possible to choke on it, but I would guess that the ice would melt too quickly from the warmth of their mouth and throat. Isn't a dog's body temperature 101 or something like that? No guarantees, I guess, but I personally wouldn't worry about it.

oh, and we don't have an ice maker built into our fridge, so Ein eats the size of cubes that come out of an ice cube tray that you fill up and put in the freezer.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

my dogs love frost paws, they even know the word,

"Heres to the liars and the cheaters and the cold mistreaters, to the mamas boys who cant make a stand, heres to the superficial players the "i love ya" too-soon-sayers, if you hear me girls raise your hand, lets have a toast, heres to findin' a good man!"- Danielle Peck
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

i just got some of these for Troy he loves them and i've had no problems at all half the box is gone i'm saveing the other two for when he's really good

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:58 PM
RAT ADDICT

My sisters just bought Frosty Paws for their dog,Coco.He is a 9 yr old terrier mix.He is not small and not large and not quite medium...he is in between all that!Haha!!

Anyway Coco LOVED them!He never got sick either.And yes,he loves ice cubes too!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

mine doesn't like ice cubes but he sure did love those tasty paws frozen treats

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Playful Pup

Exclamation Homemade frosty paws!

I know I'm really late on this thread, but I have some good recipes for "homemade frosty paws". The Frosty Paws they sell at the grocery store are really not good for dogs...they have some nasty ingredients in them and a lot of chemicals/other stuff not so great for dogs to eat. I personally stay away from them! Actually I did once buy them a very long time ago for a previous dog, (before I knew what the ingredients were) and she would not touch the stuff. I tried giving them to friends' dogs and NONE of the dogs would eat it!

You can make your own dog dessert like Frosty Paws at home for MUCH cheaper and they are actually healthy and good for your dogs! Most of the recipes use yogurt. I use plain organic yogurt so there is no salt or extra stuff added. You can use the recipes below or you can do what I do and make up your own. I usually mash up whatever fruit I have handy and mix it in with the yogurt, sometimes I add a little oatmeal or honey for texture/sweetness, then I freeze it in cups. The dogs LOVE these especially on hot days.

Here are some recipes. You can also use these as Kong fillings, just plug the small hole, put the mixture inside and freeze it upright.

BJ'S Peanutty Pupcicles

∑ 1 ripe banana
∑ 1/2 cup peanut butter
∑ 1/4 cup wheat germ
∑ 1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Mash banana's and peanut butter, stir in wheat germ. Chill 1 hour. Place in container, store in refrigerator or freezer.

Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt Treats

∑ 32 ounces vanilla yogurt
∑ 1 cup peanut butter

Put the peanut butter in a microwave safe dish and microwave until melted. Mix the yogurt and the melted peanut butter in a bowl. Pour mixture into cupcake papers and freeze.

Fruity Yogurt Treats

∑ 2 kiwi fruit -- mashed
∑ or jar baby food fruit
∑ 8 ounces strawberry yogurt -- or other

Mix together, freeze in ice cube tray. serve.

Yogurt Pups

∑ 16 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
∑ 3/4 cup water
∑ 1 tablespoon sodium-free chicken bouillon granules

Dissolve bouillon in water. Combine water and yogurt in blender and blend thoroughly, Pour into small containers for freezing, cover and freeze.

Pup Pops

∑ 2 chicken or beef boullion cubes (sodium free)
∑ 3 cups water
Dissolve boullion in water. Pour into small styrofoam cups or ice cube tray. Freeze. Serve frozen.

Frosty Paws #1

∑ one part instant oatmeal
∑ two parts water
∑ instant chicken or beef bouillon powder (sodium free)
∑ (optional) large glob of peanut butter

Mix and let sit for a few minutes until the oatmeal absorbs most of the liquid. It isn't even necessary to heat it. Spoon into small containers and freeze. Some other suggestions to add: yogurt, pureed liver, garlic, pureed vegetables.

Frosty Paws #2

∑ 1 banana
∑ 4 oz. plain or fruit yogurt
∑ 2 oz. water

Process in blender or food processor till smooth. Pour into old frosty paws cups, ramekins or something similar. *Freeze and Serve.This recipe fills about 3 FP cups.*

Homemade Frosty Paws #3

∑ 1 quart vanilla yogurt
∑ 1 medium banana
∑ 2 T peanut butter (I use natural style)
∑ 2 T honey

Puree the banana in a food processor (a blender would probably work fine). Add the peanut butter and honey

and continue processing until smooth. Add yogurt and process just long enough to blend all ingredients together. Place 18 small paper cups (bathroom size) in a baking pan (one 9x13 or two 8x8 work well). Fill paper cups to about 2/3's full. An ice cream scoop or a measuring cup makes the job easier. Freeze until solid. I

transfer the frozen treats to zip-lock bags for storing in the freezer.

Frozen Jerky Pops

∑ Bouillon (sodium free)
∑ Jerky Strips
∑ Water

Fill a muffin tin with cool water and add a pinch of bouillon. Place a Jerky Stick inside and freeze.

Bananarama

:1 fresh banana
2 tbs wheat germ
1 tbs plain yogurt (can use your pet's favorite flavor as well)

In a bowl, mash up banana. Then, add wheat germ and yogurt. Mash all ingredients together and use spoon to add to a muffin tin or cups. Freeze for 4 hours.

Pugs Pops

-1 Quart fruit juice
-1 banana, mashed
-1/2 cup yogurt

Mix ingredients together thoroughly, then freeze. This can be eaten by people too.
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

thanks my dog really likes those frosty paws but i knew they weren't good for him so i only bought them once. i'll have to try you resipies.

home to:

post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Thanks for posting those recipes! I don't like the ingredients in Frosty Paws either. These like so healthy and yummy!
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:07 PM

My dogs love Frosty Paws and luckily have never had a problem. Although they also eat kitty snickers (cat poo) so I don't think they have very sensitive stomachs.

Tags
elvis lee, terrier mix