Frosty Paws frozen dog treats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

Question Frosty Paws frozen dog treats

I had never seen this product before until last week in the grocery store (sneakily mixed in with all the human ice cream treats, lol). I thought "wow, Charlotte's gonna love this!" because she always tries to mooch ice cream from me when I'm eating it. So I bought it. It comes in four little ice cream cups (like the ones you buy at the gas station that come with little wooden spoons) and looks really yummy! I almost ate it

Anyway, I fed it to her as per the instructions on the box. She loved it! Unfortunately, she immediately started heaving and had to go outside to throw up. I thought maybe she ate it too fast or something so I decided I'd wait until the next hot day and try again.

So today I split it up into pieces so she could only eat a small piece at a time (and not just gulp the whole thing down). I watched her carefully and she seemed to be fine so I fed her each little piece. She was okay for a few seconds and then started heaving and again went outside to throw up.

I've been reading product reviews for this and no one seems to have had this problem! Has anyone tried feeding this to their dogs and did it have any negative effects? I really wish she could keep it down because she really goes crazy for it and loves the taste. Any insight would be appreciated

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Maybe she has a sensitive stomach? Sophie is like that...she can't eat treats that are too rich. What are the ingredients? Is there alot of dairy or something?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

I'm not sure how to interpret ingredients labels very well but the first few ingredients are:

Water
Dried whey
Soy flour
Animal fat
(followed by a couple more dried whey products and a bunch of other stuff)

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
I'm not sure how to interpret ingredients labels very well but the first few ingredients are:

Water
Dried whey
Soy flour
Animal fat
(followed by a couple more dried whey products and a bunch of other stuff)
It could be the soy flour since dogs can't digest soy that well...I'm not sure. But it's probably just too rich. They sell dog pudding, though, that you can cool or freeze. It seems easier to digest and comes in a few flavors. PetCo has it in the summer .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

my sister in law feeds her lab those all the time, and she has never had any problems

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have given mine them before and they have always been fine. I split one between other day when the power was out and the freezer was warming up. They were fine.
They also have them for cats although my kitties are not too crazy over them.
One time I found freezer pops for dogs. They were stinking and sticky but if they cool them down I figured what the heck.
You can always make your own with cold treats with ice cube trays. I have already frozen water and gravy for them. Just watch the sodium in the gravy.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have never even heard of it lol...but it sounds interesting...mine always want ice...and have learned to get it on their own from the ice dispensor lol...we have frozen their treats and such, but I never knew they had ice cream for doggies...hmmm I will have to look into it

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I bought Frosty Paws for Elvis the other day but have not given them to him yet. I'll be careful to watch him to see if he starts to get sick. Since he's a little dog (8 lbs) I'll just give him half a serving. I'll let ya know how it goes.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Glowing New Mommy

my dogs have never had Frosty Paws but they sure do love ice cream from Dairy Queen

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my dogs love ice lol...just ice...I have looked for the frosty paws here and so far nothing...hmmm I will keep looking

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer
my dogs love ice lol...just ice...
My Callie is the same.. she begs for ice cubes! By begging I mean 'sitting pretty' in front of the freezer until we give in and she gets one Then she will bat it around on the floor for awhile before she eats it.. I swear she thinks she's a cat sometimes

I haven't heard of or seen frosty paws here.. I'm gonna keep an eye out for them now!
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

maybe it was too cold? Allie eats ice all the time, but there little pieces given to her one at a time on hot days, if she drinks water on hot days she'll get sick. so maybe the treat were too much cold at once?
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I gave Elvis a part of a Frosty Paw treat and he was fine. I figured if one cup is for a big dog, he should have much less, so I gave him 1/4 of a cup. He loved it & did not get sick from it.

about ice...I was afraid he'd choke on it when the piece gets small....those of you with small dogs...how are they with ice cubes?
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

My dog is a huge Great Dane by the way, I forgot to mention it in the original post. But for some reason, even feeding it to her in small bits made her throw up. I guess it just doesn't agree with her. I wish it did though because it seems like such a cool little treat.

Owned by:

Special Pets in Heaven:
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Oily Chickenspew

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Lee Mommy
I gave Elvis a part of a Frosty Paw treat and he was fine. I figured if one cup is for a big dog, he should have much less, so I gave him 1/4 of a cup. He loved it & did not get sick from it.

about ice...I was afraid he'd choke on it when the piece gets small....those of you with small dogs...how are they with ice cubes?

My pomeranians at my dad's house back home eat ice all the time w/no probs. we put it in their water dish and they pack it around and eat it all day long...and when the ice is gone... they beg for more!! THey've never choked on them or anythign...they just chew 'em down like crazy

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail

Tags
elvis lee, terrier mix