Furminator - a Brush for cats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Furminator - a Brush for cats

Have you heard of this brush for cats? I went into my vet when my kitty was sick and we got to talking and she showed this brush to me. I have alot of cats and always am looking for new things. But she noticed that my kitty could use some extra help with brushing (even though I do brush him) he really has problems with furballs. So, she told me about this brush called the Furminator. I thought she was joking, but she wasn't. It is awesome! You barely have to comb through their hair and tons of extra hair comes out! It doesn't hurt them at all and the hair that comes out, is all of that nasty hair that they would be licking out and tossing up later! You only have to comb them once or twice a week, and you have to be careful not to put alot of pressure into combing when you do brush them. I also put my cats on the Iaams diet for hairballs and that has helped too. But I just had to pass this on for anyone else that has not heard about this brush. It come in two different colors, the yellow handle is for dogs and the blue handle is for cats. I still chose the yellow handled one because I have such big cats and that is what the vet recommended for me also. Where I am, I could find them either at Ranch and Home or PetsMart. Hope I helped someone out there, because this was great news for me and my kitties!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Hello Earthling

This brush is amazing... but the one we got is for our dogs....

Their a bit pricy for the real one not the knockoffs

I think we pays almost 80.00 for ours but its work wonderfully

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Newborn Pup

They do work very well. The humane society recommended had them and recommeded it to me when I got my last kitten about a month ago. You can find the large one at this link for under $35.
PETS-GALAXY.COM :: FURminator DeShedding Tool (MEDIUM) - 2.6" wide edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Newborn Pup

The furminator works very well. It was recommended to me by the humane society when I got my last kitten. You can find the large ones at the link below for under $35.

PETS-GALAXY.COM :: FURminator DeShedding Tool (MEDIUM) - 2.6" wide edge
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Newborn Pup

at our grooming shop we have quite a few dog owners that bring their dogs in for grooming and since they are up at eye level on the table we check for abnormal things and we have been seeing a lot of cuts all over theire skin on quite a few of our dogs. and when we ask the owners about it it all comes down to the same thing they have all got the furminator and dont realize they are brushing to hard, so you have to be really careful as the scraping is prone to staph infections

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

OMG!!!! That is terrible. When my vet told me about the brush I was lucky enough to get a demonstration before I went out and got the brush. AND, my vet was very very sure to tell me that you have to be careful when brushing NOT TO BRUSH TOO HARD, because you can scalp your pet. It takes just a light brushing and the hair comes right out. Oh, poor pets. There should be a way we could get the message out. We have started here, maybe pet shops that see this happening could put up signs too?

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Newborn Pup

The FurMinator is basically a glorified stripping blade on a T-handle. Bamboo makes one called the FurBuster which is the same thing only quite a bit cheaper. It's still not as cheap as a stripping blade though.

Degu mum to Douglas and Roger
Kitty mum to Polka, Meera, Tonga, and Wally.
Parakeet mum to Bermuda
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks siberianmum. I was just getting ready to say that. All it is is a 40 blade on a handle. You can razor burn or cut them really badly if you do it too hard or in the same spot for too long. Same with a shedding blade. And you have to be extra careful with cats because their skin is really thin.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am glad I read this post. I just got one and did the cats and bunnies. Wow it works extremely well. I will be sure not to brush too hard - especially with the bunners since their skin in thin.
I needed something good for them - the cats are always tossing up fur balls and I worry about the bunners because they cannot toss up fur balls!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I am glad I read this thread too...i'm afraid to try it
I don't trust myself...heh.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Newborn Pup

I've used this product on long haired dogs and it worked great! But on my bulldog, with her short hair, it didn't work at all. I use one of those rubber brushes with the nubbies and it works excellently!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Part of the Pack

I love this brush for my dogs. We saw it at a state fair and my in laws got it for their cat. So when we got our puppy I bought one for him. I did see a demonstration on how to use it so we don't scratch the dogs with the teeth.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Newborn Pup

Furminator

Thanks for the posts, we have 3 dogs that shed and have been thinking about this brush and now have better information.

chrisndcindy
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I use the zoom groom for my cats and it works really good!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Newborn Pup

I got a furminator because one of my cats sheds nonstop and when I brush her once, sometimes twice, a week she's practically shed-free. Her hairballs have nearly stopped when she was throwing them up at least once a day. Still get the occasional one but the furminator is amazing, I love it. (:

My other cat doesn't shed as much but when I pick up the furminator, she won't leave me alone because she loves it. I have to push her away to brush the other cat. Heh.

The Family:

Chilly - Pepper - Escher - Divinity - Berry - Hammie - Fishies

Tags
dog owners, humane society, pet shop, pet shops