Great hamster food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Great hamster food

Since I got my hamsters I have been feeding them mazuri pellets and I havent found a hamster yet that doesnt like them and my girl is VERY picky. they are a good price too and last a while. the ingredients are good so you dont have to worry about them eating junk and they cant pick and choose what they'll eat like most diets

my only recommendation is test your dwarf hamster to make sure they arent diabetic before you feed this. and of course supplement with a good quality seed mix for variety

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Betta Bomb

Thanks for the info! It's been a few years since I had hamsters but I only had 1 and I bought him a pile of different things from the Bulk Barn to mix up. He loved it! ^^ It was also cheap, I researched what hamsters ate and created the mix.

Also, how do you know if your hamster is diabetic??
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I use diastix you put them in a clean container and wait until they pee then dip the stick in and read it

Proud Mommy to-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Betta Bomb

wow, never heard of that.. TY So is this standard protocol with all dwarfs? And how often would you do it?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

With winter white and russian campbells both of which can also be called siberian hamsters yes. Even though Kodi is negative he is on a low sugar diet. Personally for a diabetes negative hamster I would test monthly and with a diabetes positive hamster I would test weekly to twice weekly. I have never had a diabetes positive hamster though. Hazel hamster is the only seed mix I would recommend for a diabetes prone hamster. Chinese may also be prone to diabetes I am not sure.

Proud Mommy to-

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Betta Bomb

Wow, interesting!! Thanks for the info!
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Playful Pup

Chinese are prone to diabetes, however none of my litters have ever been positive for it. Diabetes in the Hamster species is hereditary since the first batches of Dwarfs where from similar diabetic parents. They didn't know of it at the time but figured it out quickly and ever since, Reputable Breeders have been trying to breed out Diabetes but it hasn't been a full sucess yet. I have been breeding my Chinese with one of my goals being to keep them Diabetes free - however Diabetes can occur any time in their life or be "awoken" from their genetic history at any time in their life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Betta Bomb

Wow, so how far exactly into the pool is it?
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

I've never owned a hamster or bought hamster food, but I'm cautious with any animal that I own. Some people buy Purina brand food for their rabbits or guinea pigs, but I look for a brand that is known to be excellent. I've been very happy with Oxbow products for my guinea pig, and I would use them for a hamster even though Oxbow is not the cheapest line of products that you can buy.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Oxbow is an excellent food when I get mice I plan to give them it. However hamsters would rather starve than eat a food they don't like and I've heard a lot don't like oxbow. Before I got mazuri I was deciding between it and oxbow.

Proud Mommy to-

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Petsmart used to sell Oxbow food for hamsters, but I looked on-line to read the reviews and didn't see it. I would never say to give a food to your animal that it didn't enjoy. There's a saying, "First do no harm". As I said before, I don't own any hamsters yet, so I don't have any experience with them.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Betta Bomb

Going by that logic then, I could feed my dog a diet consisting of only people food and my bunny would eat raisens all day. They enjoy it but it's no good for them without a proper balanced diet in place as well as guidance and scheduld portions.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Lol that's not at all what I said. Mazuri is a very good food. However a good quality food doesn't matter if they won't eat it. I have a very picky eater and even she loves mazuri. However a seed mix for her is hard to find

Proud Mommy to-

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Betta Bomb

sorry, not you. I was responding to the above post by uro when he said to give them what they liked. Obviously, you're demonstrating the importance of reading the ingredients and then matching that to the picky one. I apolgize to the harshness of my above post uro, but sometimes I get blunt.. Especially when I got a few in me!
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Thanks I would def recommend it its all my picky girl will eat.

Proud Mommy to-