have any of you used this type of kitty litter - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

have any of you used this type of kitty litter

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1120847524691

Its not neccarly this brand but i want to know if it works. I am always trying to find way to get my bed room less stinky. Someone at the natural pet store had something like this but it was natural liked it. I was curious if you guys have used it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 06:01 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Crystals work really well for urine. I'm not crazy about the way that they work with feces. I would suggest mixing them with regular litter.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I used it several years ago for another cat I had...great for urine (but it turned the crystals yellow)...for feces...it pretty much didn't work

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Adolescent Pup

I agree...the urine turns the crystal yellow...but it's supposed to, i guess that's how it traps the odor...however unless you scoop like twice a day it does nothing for feces...
the only way i got my kitty's litter box from stinking was when I bought the self scooper litter box....

~Misty~

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 12:58 AM

Try the Tidy cat with odor reducing crystals. Its Candice's suggestion of mixing both. Its regular clumping litter with crystals in it. Right now I use Everclean but I have used the Tidy cat previously and thought it was okay.

I have used every type of of litter box imaginable including a self cleaning one at the cost of $400.00. My husband complained about it all the time even though I liked it. We went back to a regular litter box and a litter locker and I scoop it about 1 - 2 times a day with three cats and it keeps the odor down pretty well. I feed only high quality dry food (Wellness) and their poops are kept at a minimum to begin with so that helps.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

lol ok now i sorta wanna try and watch the crystals turn yellow (ok i have way too much time on my hands) i scoop after my cat poops mainly because it stinks. then i light about a gazillion candels and occasionally spray the house with air smelling good stuff. Does the litter maid thing work pretty well i know its about 200 dollars.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

I just use fresh step clumping litter... and then I scoop once a day or every other day... I have a little fan with oil smelly stuff on top of the litter box to help too. WOrks pretty well but Callie isn't very stinky

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickiesmurf
Does the litter maid thing work pretty well i know its about 200 dollars.
I got mine on sale at Target for $186.00. I works really well...it scoops all the litter in to this plastic thing and then when your ready to change it you just snap on the lid and throw away the litter tub....but you have to remeber to change the tub right away...since I moved the litter box is now in the basement...and if i forget to go change it the thing just keeps scooping and scooping till it over flows...but I really like it.
But you may want to check out prices in you area...cuz the litter tubs are like $13 for like 6 of em...and you can only use "premium clumping litter" it says...they sell litter specially for it but it's really expensize too....I've been using Fresh Step and it works really good plus i get fresh step points to Michael can get something when we've got enough.....i've never tried Tidy Cats...just cuz it doesn't say "premium" on the box....

~Misty~

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 12:41 AM

Personally I hated the LitterMaid and it is sitting in my basement collecting dust. I used one brand of kitty litter that was deemed premium I think it was arm and hammer and it caused a 1/2 inch solid layer of clumped cat litter on the bottom. I took more time to clean it than cleaning a regular litter box and it smells awful. I also used it for two cats. If you have on small cat it probably works better but with two it becomes very time consuming and costly. I didn't like how the litter stuck to the rake either or the fact that the rake doesn't go all of the way to the bottom - hence my 1/2 inch thick layer. I wouldn't waste the money.

I do like my $30 Litter Locker and my $12 litter box. I have 3 cats now and I use a high quality clumping litter that I scoop once maybe twice a day and put it into the litter locker that locks the smell up. Takes about 2 -3 minutes a day. I can usually stretch out a complete wash down of the litter box to every other week. I can dump wash and dry the litter box in 15 minutes so for me its easier and a lot more cost effective to do it the old fashion way.

I would love to find a good kitty litter that doesn't track all over the place though! I think crystals are good for that but I don't want to switch to the crystals just yet.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Tidy cats has a new litter out specifically for small spaces. I haven't tried it yet because it's sort of expensive. I just use one of those less than a dollar air freshners near the litter box and i haven't had a problem. The one i use is a odor neutralizer so it doesn't just make it smell like rose smelling cat box. I only scoop the box once a day unless it really needs it. I'm waiting on my litter locker Got one with my shop and save greenpoints! lol Good luck with the smell. I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment so i understand the need for a nonsmelly litterbox.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Playful Pup

We use EverFresh, and we really really like it! We have tons of cats and tons of litter boxes. It's a great clumping litter with out those nasty perfumes, it isn't dusty either, and it has great odor control. It also lasts a long time, a lot of clumping litters break down after time, but this one clumps for a really long time. We get it at Petsmart $17.99 for 30 lbs, on the spendy side but for some one with only a few cats it shouldn't be a problem. We purchased one of those electronic litter boxes, or littermaids, and we really don't like them. It didn't even scoop half of the pee or poop up (our cats pee and poop on the bottom of the litter box), not to mention in our opinion it's not very sanitary, but maybe at that time we weren't using a good enough litter. I am sure they have improved them since then. However I do not reccomend it at all.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Playful Pup

I may have to look into this. Peggy is not the problem. Once I brought Spike into my home, he just is an animal when it comes to pee. When I go to scoop out the box, there's hardly any poop, but there is so much pee! I use fresh step cat litter and cannot stand the clumping litters for some reason. Maybe I should switch to clumping?

Mommy to Peggy & Spike

Too many to name!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Glowing New Mommy

i used to use regular clay litter, but i just recently switched to Tidy cats clumping litter (i combine the regular, with the antimicrobial and the crystal kind all together) and i use the liners made for clumping litter... i have 3 cats, 4 cat boxes and i love my setup

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

we had a bunch donated to the humane shelter not that long ago but we had to mix it with reg cat litter because although great for urine horrable for feces

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

i use the special kitty multi cat scoopable litter for my lil monsters with a covered litter box and it really helps with the smell. I tried the cyrstals when Tigger had an infection in her paw since we couldn't do the clay stuff. We tried yeasterday's news and it seemed to help with smell and what not but the girls didn't like it too much and wouldn't use it. so no matter what litter you switch to introduce it to then slowly so then they will use it.

I didn't like the crystals becuase like everyone is saying for the feces it didn't do anything unless you scooped it while it was fresh.

Tags
covered litter box, dry food, kitty litter, litter box, litter boxes, pet store