Nutro - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:41 PM

Cool

As far as feeding Nutro or any other dog food goes;

only Science Diet & Eukanuba are scientifically proven to give your pet onlyt the required amount of ingredients. Lowering the chances of medical problems caused by too much or too little of the bodys needs.

This is also why Generaly only Science Diet & Eukanuba Perscription diets are carried at a vets office.

Some vets offices carry Waltham and Purina DM. But other than that Science Diet & Eukanuba are The Best dog foods.

Nutro is high in fat which breaks down into energy in dogs, and high fat makes your dog hyper. Its like giving a 3 yr old 2-3 chocolate bars.

As for the coat. Science Diet has a diet for Skin & coat, for those with Extra dry skin.

Those are my takes as a Veterinary Technician. Most ill animals i see everyday are on a food other than science diet or eukanuba. by ill i mean kidney and liver issues, diabeties, etc...

As a trainer= I have had dogs who were on the following foods ( dogs that were already high energy and dogs who wre not high energy)
Pedigree(EEEEkkk), Nutro, Authority, Old Roy.

when switched to Science Diet or Eukanuba they mellowed out their coat improved bad breath went away..

Please also note that bad breath can be a cause of serious liver,kidney,and heart disease in your pet.

Hope this helps y'all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:12 PM

Ok

That is one opinion.
You can find alot that disagree, and alot of facts to back up why Science Diet isn't a great food...or at least seemingly one of the ONLY good foods as you put it. Anyone can do a little research and see this for themselves. That, or simply look at the ingredients listed on the back..of Science Diet..and read about what some of these terms actually mean, and you'll know why these can't be quality feeds compared to some others that have much better stuff going into them. I was also a vet tech, so I have that experience going for me as well. Vets and their employees are pushed into accepting that Science Diet should be one of the top foods in the world...and not always for the right reasons. Not all Nutro is high in fat. Just like not all Science Diet is high in fillers. Granted, Eukanuba is a decent food..and superior to many. But anyone who can spend a little time researching what the ingredients in dog food really mean..can see for themselves what Science Diet is and isn't.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

since we started our cat on nutro natural there has been a huge difference, shes digesting it better, her stomach isn't bothering her as much and shes going to the restroom in more solid form...

We did the science diet special one for IBS and it didn't work at all, the vet took her off pretty quick, but the nutro is really working wonders...

Now I am switching my dogs to it as well, they are on pedigree right now (not my choice) and so we have slowly started mixing the foods...

I wanted to thank everyone for their opinions and feedback, it has helped alot...we are pretty happy with the results and mama is happy with it as well...thank you all so much

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:04 PM

That is your opinion and as a Vet Tech, VNA, Dog Trainer, and as a Pet Owner I disagree. This will be my last post on this topic.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:55 PM

Glad she is doing better! I assume that is her in the picture there? Do you know her background and if she has any Siamese or Balinese in her? She looks alot like my 3 Balinese mix cats.
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

I don't know her background...parents and such, she was in a liter that was thrown away as babies...I got her from the feline foundation when she was 7 weeks old...she has been cronically ill and they suspect FIP, but you are right, she looks alot like yours...I have better pics of her...just not on the computer yet lol...I have no clue what her parents are, but I hope they got treated better than she did
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m1.JPG (30.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ma1.JPG (29.9 KB, 4 views)

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:55 AM

Sorry to hear that. Has she had tests run to try and confirm that it might be FIP? That is such an unfortunate disease that so many don't even know about..and many vets STILL do'nt mention. I hope that diagnosis isn't correct.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:55 AM

ps..she's gorgeous...
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

thank you, she my baby, she was my valentines gift ...she will have been with us 3 years this year...the only way to say for sure its FIP is an autopsy...they did so many tests and alot of the results point to it...so we don't have other cats (so that no other cat can possibly get it) and she will never ever ever even sneak out (so she doesn't spread it or catch anything)

when we went to look at cats we had gone several times, trying to find the right one...the day we went they said they had some kittens and took us to a seperate room...Ken and Ashley went straight to the all black kitten...but once I looked at Mama there was no other cat for me she was sick when we got her, they had her on some meds, but she wasn't getting any better...so I took her to my vet who did so many tests, she had tons of seizures and was so weak, no one thought she would make it, but we agreed that as long as she was willing to fight we would fight with her...and now she is a huge chubby kitty that makes everyday so much better (she has some brain damage from the seizures and high fevers so she falls at times or walks into the wall waiting for it to move like the door lol)

I know I went way off topic from what I started here, but with all her medical problems she also has IBS and after trying alot of foods nutro has been the one that has helped her alot... shes an amazing kitty who beat the odds

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 06:12 PM

Happy Dancer.

There are tests you can do for FIP other than autopsy, however you cat has to be very very ill for it to show up.

I went through having a litter of rescue kittens... h=they had their 1st two shots before their immune system was weakened, They all had FIP except one.

There however is no treatment for FIP.. But its also a very rare disease.

Best of luck with your cat. I hope all goes well. I lost my baby of 4 years in September. A georgeous solid black siamese mix. Its hard.

-Tabitha
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 07:16 PM

Fip

While there is not a single test that shows whether or not a cat has FIP, you can have bloodwork done to check titers..or levels of antibodies. Now, this doesn't without a doubt rule OUT FIP if levels are low..nor does it without a doubt prove FIP with HIGH levels..but your vet can talk to you about how very high levels can show that there seems to be FIP present. A cat does not have to be very ill for levels to show. Some cats are carriers and have hardly any symptoms but can show elevated levels. Some are carriers and have low levels..some are mildly sick and have levels off the charts. Our vet sends blood to a state lab, the best in the state, to check these titers. While there is no treatment for FIP, there is supportive care. Some cats don't make it as long..some can go on for awhile and not be as affected by the disease for some time. You mentioned your cat having IBS.. vomitting is a sign of FIP if your vet hasn't mentioned that already. Sadly, while many view FIP as rare...it's not so much anymore. It's just that more vets, for whatever reason, don't talk about it as much and many don't think of it as much of a threat, say compared to FIV or FelV.. but in reality, while not COMMON in most places, it's definitely not uncommon either.
Anyway..kudos to you for giving her a good home she's gorgeous..and best wishes with her continued health.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 07:22 PM

This is one good link that explains titers.. http://www.vetinfo.com/cencyclopedia/cefip.html
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

yeah they did a ton of tests and retested to keep checking her titers...and all of the different tests point to FIP...the vet told us that there is no one test to prove FIP, the only sure diagnosis is an autopsy, but differnt tests can help with the probablity of diagnosing a cat with FIP...she had tests done weekly for a long time to keep track of her levels and she had to have all kinds of meds....drops in her eyes, nose, and ears...then seperate drops for her mouth and then a pill for her to swallow...it was a pain doing all the different meds multiple times a day, she faught it big time, but we just kept at it...th vet highly suspects FIP and so we treat her as a cat with it...no other cats will be in around her (they get it from fluids like the litter box the vet said) and we still take her in for tests...that way we can catch her getting sick before its to late

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 10:53 AM

Yea, FIP is a contact thing. Your cat could lay on a table, and get off and if another cat lay walked across the spot and then licked its paws, bam theyve got it too. I am sorry to hear this news. I know its hard when your best friend is ill. If you ever need to vent. Im here. Your a good mama, most people wouldnt have even bothered.
Best wishes, you and your cat are in my prayers!
-Tabitha
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 03:38 PM

I fed Nutro products for years and all my animals did great on it. Over the past couple of months though, I switched them all over to Science Diet. The reasons are simple.
A) I get it at a great price working at the vet's office
B) It's lower in ash which means they are less likely to get UTI's.
C) I'm getting my Nutritional Advocacy Certification and Science Diet products really are extremely healthy for their skin, coats, digestive tracts, teeth, joints, and overall health. I'm even using the Science Diet t/d as treats and the dogs think it's great! (t/d is especially for oral care) At 3 and 5 years old, neither dog has ever needed a dental cleaning!

Tags
african clawed, african clawed frog, clawed frog, dog food, doing fine, kitten food, litter box, nutro natural choice, pet owner, royal canin, siberian husky, vet tech