Nutro - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

Nutro

We bought our cat Nutro Natures Choice Complete Care and I was wondering if anyone elseused this brand and if it was any good...see when we were searching for a food that would be gentle on our cats stomach the lady who stocked the shelves from the nutro company talked us into it (sad I know) and now I am researching it...so any info would be much appreciated

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't know about the cat one, but at one point our dogs were on it and Sophie didn't do that great. I don't like how it has corn, so I don't feed it. It's better then other brands, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

All I feed is Nutro Natural and I haven't had problems with it. I feed both my dogs and my cat Nutro. So I like it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

thanks for the feedback...we are trying so hard to find the best solution for mama...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Which formula are you using that has corn in it?

I feed my dogs and cat Nutro and I'll never feed anything else unless they stop making it or change it to something crappy. My cats gets really bad hairballs if I feed them any other kind of food. Also, Smokey has hip problems and use to have to take really expensive medicine for it. Now he doesn't since I switched the food.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:14 PM

Mem was on Nutro and did really well. He is a Persian and his coat looked great although he still did have some hairballs.

I ended up having to put him on Royal Canin Persian food because the nutro pieces were to big and he would end up eating half the piece and the other half would end up on the floor.

Both my dogs are on it, one is on senior and the other is currently on high energy formula although he is about to change to large breed unless we take up skijoring this winter. My Senior is the remarkable one, she is 11 and no one believes me that she is more than 5, shiny coat, clear eyes, very little stiffness (only when she wakes up in the morning).
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchris_28
Which formula are you using that has corn in it?

I feed my dogs and cat Nutro and I'll never feed anything else unless they stop making it or change it to something crappy. My cats gets really bad hairballs if I feed them any other kind of food. Also, Smokey has hip problems and use to have to take really expensive medicine for it. Now he doesn't since I switched the food.
It was the dog one. Nutro Max? Or something like that. We only fed it for a week or so because we were out of the other food and I sorta wanted to try it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hmm...I'll have to look at the ingredients on the Max again b/c I was going to switch mine from the natural choice to the max.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 03:07 PM

My persians had very sensitive tummies.
Being persians produce more stomach acid then most cats, when they would eat to fast the stomach wouldn't have time to start digesting, and well back up came the kibble.
I started them on Royal Canin Special formula, and it was GREAT! My cat's never had hairballs, never leves me half digested kibble anymore and they looked great.
Then Royal Canine came out with the persian formula and Omar is still on that today (he's 9), This kibble took Vet's 3 or so years to develop, just like the sensative formula it starts breaking down before it get's to the stomach, the kibble is also shaped for their little mouths.
My cat's have been very happy and healthy on this food for many years, And even my Vet guesses wrong on Omars age, everyone thinks he's alot younger.

http://www.royalcanin.ca/products/fn...special_en.php
http://www.royalcanin.ca/products/fn...persian_en.php

I used to feed my dog nutro, i do feel they have a very good food for the price. But unfortunetly my dog kept getting impacted anal glands, it seems the food had to much fiber and she wasn't able to express them naturaly. I have since changed her food and she's doing much better.

Last edited by andreaS15; 11-03-2005 at 03:10 PM.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 09:48 PM

I, too, feed Royal Canin foods. My cats love it. The bowl is never full the next day, completely empty.

I know with the Persian food, it's a flatter kibble that's easier for the cat to eat, simply because Persians have a flatter face. They also use human grade chicken in all of their food, so it's highly edible to the cat.

Nutro is a good food as well. I like the Royal Canin/Nutro lines more than I like Science Diet, Iams or Eukanuba.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 AM

I feed my puppy Nutro Natural Choice (Chicken Rice & Oatmeal) and he likes it. It does not have any corn in it. It also has no by products or synthetic preservatives. I did a lot of research and I will not feed my animals anything bad so I would recommend it.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:48 AM

Nutro is a good food. I feed Nutro lamb meal and rice to my dog. Right now shes on lite because she got a little overweight. Shes a siberian husky and has a sensitive stomach as used to throw up when she was on Iams. Haven't had a problem since being on nutro.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:22 PM

we used to feed our dogs Nutro Ulta which they did good but we switched them to candiae.
For our cats we still have them on Nutro. We've been feeding them the Nutro Max. They seem to love it.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:05 AM

There are different Nutro lines..the Max line generally has corn in it and isn't so great on ingredients. There are "Natural Choice Lamb and Rice" feeds w/out corn..this is what I feed to my dogs and they've always done well on it (as well as the rescues/fosters we've had over the years).
Iams is pretty much junk. When it was bought out they seriously downgraded on ingredients to make it cheap for grocery stores to stock and carry. Science Diet as well..is crap if you really look at the ingredients. It's a shame so many vets push it/people into believing it is a quality food.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:26 PM

Thumbs up Nutro is Da Bomb

My dog switched over a month ago and his coat is wonderfully shiny his breathe is less offensive and he has a sensitive tummy so that is the one he is on he loved it from the get go wont ever feed him any thing else Mmmmm Mmmmmm good! He told me to say that LOL

Tags
african clawed, african clawed frog, clawed frog, dog food, doing fine, kitten food, litter box, nutro natural choice, pet owner, royal canin, siberian husky, vet tech