Pet-friendly airline - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Pet-friendly airline

Not a product but a service, the owner come up the idea for comfortable pet travel compare to ordinary airline with many cases of injured and death of animals.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31083094/

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Not a product but a service, the owner come up the idea for comfortable pet travel compare to ordinary airline with many cases of injured and death of animals.
Yeah i heard about that but its really expensive...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Playful Pup

I agree, it's way too expensive! I wish dearly that I could use it for our hedgehogs but none of my customers have been willing to use it. I don't like reg airlines so if you want a hedgie flown to you I only will in the spring & fall because of the heat and cold under the plane -and I wont send one anyplace where it is normally real cold or hot. We fly out of DFW in Texas so yup spring and late fall or forget it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Part of the Pack

Really it's up to the owner to decide if they can pay the fee. If I were to move across country I'd find the cost of hiring movers and then flying worth the hassle. I'd for sure fly my pets as comfortably as I could. It is expensive but it's a fledgling airline they have to be able to afford the overhead.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't think that was more expensive than flying an animal in cargo on a normal airline?

My parents had to fly their dog once and to fly her cargo it was like $275. I'm not sure if maybe it depends on the size of the animal though? Their dog is a cocker spaniel, so she's not huge.

I wish they could allow the owners to fly with the pets though. Even though this does sound better than them going in cargo, I would still be nervous having my pet flying with strangers and a bunch of strange animals.

I also think it will be a lot more useful once they fly to more locations. I don't know if they fly pets other than cats and dogs at this time either? I went on their site and could only find cat and dog info.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Part of the Pack

I've been on a lot of flights recently where a toy sized dog has traveled as a carry-on. As for the cargo I have no idea how much it costs I've never gone more than a couple hours drive with my pets before.

~Ren~

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Playful Pup

My inlaws used to travel with their dogs but it was always very expensive. It's a shame the airlines won't allow small pets to travel in small crates under the seat in front of you for free. I have a friend that takes her sugar gliders with her on the plane (in her bra!). I honestly don't know how she does it. I know if I tried they would turn me away! ha ha

Jana (gr8pots)
Wife to my wonderful husband Richard,
Mom to Nichole, Grandmom to Ashli, Shelly,
Markell & Kayla.
Godmom to Ana & Natalia &
Petmom to: WFB Glaze & Silica,
Syler & Halle our Mountain Feist &
Sushie & Patriot our Bettas.

Custom Cage Liners

Pottery
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8pots View Post
My inlaws used to travel with their dogs but it was always very expensive. It's a shame the airlines won't allow small pets to travel in small crates under the seat in front of you for free.
Like I said in my above post. I've seen a lot of that as of late. Someone I was traveling with once (a co worker) was so annoyed that a woman on the plane had a Pom with her in a small carrying case. Honestly I think most dog are more well behaved than most small children on planes.

~Ren~

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Part of the Pack

Found this article to day.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31129066/

No wonder people would rather drive cross country with their pets than fly...

~Ren~

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah small pets can sometimes fly with their owners if their carrier can fit under the seat - However the animal has to be very small and there are species restrictions. I know some airlines don't allow rabbits to travel in cabin, and I'd assume that most of them wouldn't allow things like sugar gliders and other exotics.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Playful Pup

There are ground transport companies for dogs that are much less expensive. As they say, just google it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Playful Pup

Way too expensive!

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Newborn Pup

Spirit Airlines allows small pets (dogs cats birds) to travel in the cabin w/their owners on domestic flights. Fee is $100/carrier, and the pets must remain in their carrier for the flight duration. My Zeuss flew Spirit when he was only 10wks old, and he loved it!

Interestingly, if two pets can fit into a single carrier then only one fee is paid. Not too often that this comes into play, I imagine.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Re: Ground Transport Companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleGuyScott View Post
There are ground transport companies for dogs that are much less expensive. As they say, just google it.
Yes, I agree. It is also important to find a ground pet transport company that's certified. Not all pet transport companies are the same.

- Tender Loving Care for Pets
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Newborn Pup

It shocks me how much they charge to fly big dogs. It would be cheaper to drive most places unless that is not an option.

Tags
pet travel