pet water fountains - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

pet water fountains

I was thinking about investing in a fountain for my dogs. Spyro is a big drinker but Loki tends to be picky and sometimes doesn't drink as much as he should.

I was trying to find more info on them...such as if they filter anything more than large particles (like a faucet or pitcher filter for people.) How well do they work? Can anyone recommend one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

since your pets water bowl should be changed adleast once a day minimum i just use this they work pretty wonderfully and arent very expensive
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=10847446

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

I had one of those but cleaning was a you know what lol. Maybe it was the type I had?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

I've been wanting to get one of these for my dog...

http://www.glacierpointforcats.com/index.php

They look kind of weird but they are (lead free) ceramic and suppose to be easy to clean. They have a carbon filter and remove things like chlorine etc, much the same as the filters made for human drinking water.

You can get different models based on what you want, they even have one that comes with a cooler to keep the water cold. And you can buy replacement parts like filters or any other part on the site.

I've never tried one so I don't have personal experience but they seem to get good reviews. They are more commonly sold for cats I guess but I originally heard about them from a fellow dog owner who said she loves them for her dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 07:19 PM
It's all for them

That's an interesting design!

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

I like that...1 gallon. My boys drink A LOT lol
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Newborn Pup

Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain--Best thing ever!!!

Have you looked into the Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain? (I got it on sale at PETCO.com and also got free shipping due to a promotion on their site) My co-worker has one of these, which he uses for his cats. He recommended it to me because he's noticed that it actually helped his cats stay hydrated by encouraging them to drink more water. My dog, Dre, sounds like your dog, Loki-- picky. So, I decided to give this a shot. Initially, Dre was intrigued by it but didn't drink.. After nearly 15 minutes of investigating it, he started to drink. I've had this for two weeks now and I can honestly say that it really did encourage him to drink more and hydrate himself on a regular basis. Anyway, I like it because it gives him clean water each time he drinks opposed to the regular bowl of stagnant water. Also, it filters out hair (Dre & I both shed tons of hair) and other debris.

---
Save a life or two and adopt a pet!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Zoo Keeper

there is a ceramic one i want that is great

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=0

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

I did look at the Drinkwells as well as a few other ones. However that is all it claimed to filter which isn't a problem but If I could skip filling up a bowl with my filtered water and just gave them their own (and it filtered the same) then it would just be easier lol.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Betta Bomb

My sister brought to my attention yesterday that the filters are capable of producing some gelatinous stuff. She showed me a picture and it looked like jello. she claims it sprouted almost overnight on the filter. She has Catit brand carbon filters/fountain.. It was disturbing.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Resident Zoologist

I currently have this one:

http://www.netpetblog.co.uk/wp-conte.../06/665941.jpg

But although it works, I am not terribly impressed with it, and am looking at purchasing something like:

http://us.petvalu.com/sites/default/...ages/59996.jpg

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I have thought about them since Jezebel loves drinking from sinks. I've always read cats especially love running water so have thought about it but right now the budget is tight so am just cleaning the water dish daily

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Playful Pup

Wow! Great idea! Your pet will surely love the water fountain. I wish I can also make one.

are like potato chips, you really can't have just one…
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It is almost hot year all year round and we use this pet waterer,perfect for pets. One of our dog doesn't like to drink from it first but as soon as saw others drinking with fun, he starts to use it too.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Newborn Pup

I had one for a few months but it was such a pain in the butt. It ran out of water all the time and if you wanted to move it, you had to drag the whole cord and everything.