Rabbits Fur Sprays - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Rodentologist

Can they give any specific nutrient that theyt hink would cause that much hair to fall out? Because honestly I think if it were nutritional the rabbit would likely be in stasis and dying before losing that much hair.

You've been told multiple times that simple overgrooming won't make a rabbit lose all of their hair in that huge kind of area.

It's frustrating to try and help because you don't have any reliable vet care and don't have a lot of experience with rabbits so the notes we're getting are very disjointed and difficult to understand. I hope this at least makes you rethink your breeding scheme

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I never had long haired rabbit before and all these things happened to me all at once.. That is why im concerned if my way of treating/grooming them is right or wrong so i wont make mistakes all over again..yes ive been told about overgrooming but this is the first time i groomed until he gets bald that is why i keep asking such questions..sorry if its bother u..and about nutrients they dont provide specific they just guessing and will take him to vet later for check-ups
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Rodentologist

It's not a personal bother but it is very frustrating to watch two of your rabbits having medical ailments you can't treat while you also don't have the local means to get appropriate medical care for them (especially since one has a shattered foot which is a painful and acute condition).

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I know..its very frustrating that it occurs at the same time..but if theres anyway i could do to them to make them healthy i would do it..i kept they clean..cage disinfected everyweek..i groomed them everytime..most of the time i spent taking care an play with them..these things are out of my control
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well i have visited 2 vets for him.. the doctor said that the fur fall off because of 2 reasons, due to environmental change and smell, and because of predators around him..

well he said that the bunny is from Indonesia and its just arrived here yesterday, the temperature and environemtn there is different than here.. the doctor check there are no symptoms of mites and said the fur will grow back normally.. i hope they are right..:S
post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

How did the vet check for mites and/or fungal infections? Did they do a skin scraping and look under a microscope or anything like that? Did they do a blood test?

What tests did your vet do?

When you groom the bunny, how much force are you using with the brush? You should always brush gently and don't pull too hard on the fur. Form experience I know that rabbit fur actually pulls out and usually you won't see signs of it being pulled out like blood or skin injuries etc. I've seen bunnies fight and pull out huge chunks of each others fur and all that's left behind is usually a big bald spot where the fur was pulled out. Is it possible you are grooming her too roughly and accidentally pulling too much hair out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM
is a little "special"

Really? Yikes, didn't know that. I always thought there would have to be blood if the fur was yanked out. Oops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Betta Bomb

I agree with Jenni, it does sort of suck for us to help when such vague details are given. I mean, everyone here wants to help to the best of our abilities but the responses are vague and there is too much in between of us asking specific questions about specific nutrients and the like. Also, I thought you only had 2 rabbits? With such unreliable bunny care out there I wonder how we can help your bunnies get better if there is no local help?
How much are you putting into the vets? I know I can't afford 2 and 3 vets in a day! And anything prescribed by vets should be clearly labelled on invoices and reciepts, which is why we ask for the information. We DO want to help you. But it seems with one thing after another happening to them there needs to be more reliable local help.
Best of luck
post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Betta Bomb

Another question, how was the rabbit shipped from Indonesia? What was the confinements? How long was the trip? Who responsible for caring for it before, during and after? What other changes occured to it? {food, water, etc. .}
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Really? Yikes, didn't know that. I always thought there would have to be blood if the fur was yanked out. Oops
Yeah...there's not necessarily blood. I feel really bad about it, but I actually recently accidentally ripped a chunk of Ziggy's fur out and it didn't bleed at all - he just got a bald spot in that area. He's on injectable antibiotics and I was trying to tent his skin to give him his shot, but I accidentally grapped a chunk of fur and he pulled away at the same time, and the fur I was holding onto ripped out

I've seen rabbits fighting before too and they often pull chunks of each others fur out and a lot of the time there is no blood, just bald spots where the fur is pulled out.

post #41 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well.. sorry for the delays in replying the email... as for the vets... they didnt use microscopic... they just look through the skins for any signs and etc... and as for the brushing.. i just brush him like i normally do... and other than that i dont know... that is all i really know.. its what the vet told me..
post #42 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:28 PM
is a little "special"

@Michelle: Aww, poor Ziggy! He must have looked kind funny, LOL

@D animality: You can't tell for sure or not if they have mites by just looking at their fur. The vets need to do a skin scraping and look at it under a microscope.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #43 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Btw is it okay to give my bunnies vitamins powder as a supplement since they cant eat veggies..they say its the subs for veggies at the time being
post #44 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 PM
is a little "special"

... Why can't they eat veggies?? I usually stay away from extra vitamin stuff. As long as they get a good diet, it's rather unnecessary IMO.

post #45 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

okay thanks!! well i dont give them veggies at the moment since they are 3-4mnths old... ive read from this forum that veggies should be introduced gradually when they are already 6months old

Tags
fur, rabbits, sprays, static, tangle