Rat Cages - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Rat Cages

Ok, so I went to the pet store to buy some rat food, the petstore is far from me and I have to take the bus so it's an adventure XD.
Anyway, went to buy some ratfood *coughcameoutwiththewholestore<_<* and I saw this awesome cage <3 It was like a ferret level home thing (those ferrets,so spoiled they get everything =x) but it was made for rats XD I stood there for 20 minutes debating whether I should get it or not.
I already have..lets see..6 cages. I decided I was going to sell the other cages, three of them, and get this one, but knowing petco, I'd come back three weeks later and when I ask them about the cage they'll be all what? What cage? I went to the website to find my beloved cage and it WASN'T THERE. So now I don't want to get rid any of my cages if I can't get that good one.. Does anybody know what cage I'm talking about? Do you know of a simliar cage?
And it had a wheel, that didn't take up much space, and had no wires <3
The only thing that I thought might be problem is that my rats throw eachother against things..all the time when they squabble XD It was hard to tell the dimensions of the cage, all the bars criscrossed each other x.x If anyone has this cage, do find it to be a problem? I don't want a rat's head cracked against wire shelf thing.
https://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...R=8089#details Something like this.

Aaand, if anyone wants to buy a chinchilla cage with wheel, or/and a guinea pig cage that was customized for rats (if you want you can take the chicken wire off 8D) or a hamster/mouse cage
e-mail me or note me or let me know some how =B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

That looks like a really good rat cage, but I never had one before...so maybe you should wait for someone else to come along with better advice!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 04:03 PM

I have a 4 story ferret cage that I used for a rat for a while. He was older and didn't really like being out much, so it worked fine. Most active rats can fit easily throught the wires, unless they are meshed. Mine is very difficult to clean.

*note about petco* They have been in trouble several times for animal abuse. Is there another petstore you could go to?
http://www.peta.org/Living/at-spring2003/comp2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

*shrug* The petco I go to have healthy looking animals, they even use carefresh instead of the wooden shavings of pine or cedar.
They also have care sheets for all the animals they sell and I've yet to see a half eaten animal on the bottom of a cage, which is more then I can say for others. They also refuse to sell rodents as live food and have a sign explaining why and encouraging people to buy frozen instead.
Also I've noticed, this is mostly in California, San Fransisco to be exact. Take it from someone who works in a chain store, they're not all the same.
I also visit petsmart =)
Oh, by the way, I stopped by what I think is a privatly owned pet store, and they treat the exotics, ferrets, skunks, hedgehogs, like royality, but the rodents are in horrible condition, over crowded and in a small area. Their cages are poorly ventilated and I could smell the pine and urine eminating from it.
Also, the animals looked unhealthy, their fur was just, off and dull and..I dunno clumpy. I noticed this in the gerbils especially.
Also, there were half eaten animals in the cages. Like I said earlier.
Now, this could just be an animal lover being over dramatic, but is it enough to report on?

And, I got the rat cage, it's a cage made for rats, but has three levels, it's very nice, a little bit of a pain to carry outside to hose down. There's a wheel that one rat actually uses =3
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 PM

That one looks a lot more rat-friendly than mine. It came from a huge warehouse closeout store for $40, so it wasn't a bad deal.
A lot of abuse happens in a lot of different pet stores. Most of them, in my opinion, should probably be shut down. But thats just my opinion. I have been known to rescue (not buy) animals from many different pet stores around the area, once I find a home that wants them.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:38 AM

when i was a kid id steel the sick pets from the petstore and take care of them, then find new homes! so thats rescueing not buying!

sorry your cage is gone! i have had great success making all of mine.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 04:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

Nice cage Fubie!

There are some pet stores here that are horrible and others that I can tolerate as they take care of the animals.But in general I dislike pet stores.I rather people rescue or get their animals from someone who wants to get rid of them, or even a reptuable breeder.

I currently have 5 rats, 3 are from a breeder, all with good lines and genes and 2 are rescues.I stopped buying rats from pet stores, since my rat ~Sterling~...she was the last rat I ever bought from a pet store.She came with a respitory infection,outer ear infection,tumor and was scabby...I constantly had to bring her to the vet and she was on meds for the remaining of her life, which was shortened... Ever since then, never again...unless the pet store took care of the animals and I could see they were healthy...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

May I point out that the rats are sleeping UNDER the hammock? 8D

Here's something I'd like to point out
Now, I was skimming through some forums, and a person asked what he/she should look for in when buying a rat from the petstore.
There was an overwhelming rersponse not to get a rat from a petstore, but from a rescue or a breeder.
Riddle me this.
How is getting a rat from a rescue any better then getting one from a petstore?
Seems to me they're in the same boat. Actually. I think there's even MORE of a chance with behavioral problems and illness with rescues.
What the dillio?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_vegan
That one looks a lot more rat-friendly than mine. It came from a huge warehouse closeout store for $40, so it wasn't a bad deal.
A lot of abuse happens in a lot of different pet stores. Most of them, in my opinion, should probably be shut down. But thats just my opinion. I have been known to rescue (not buy) animals from many different pet stores around the area, once I find a home that wants them.
40 bucks is an awesome deal, 'specially for a ferret cage.
This cage is actually called, the rat mansion 83
Anyway, I diffenatly think petstores should be put under more pressure, I'm sure if people learned a bit more about them they could be the eyes and ears for the animals and keep the petstores under close scrutiny.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubie

Now, I was skimming through some forums, and a person asked what he/she should look for in when buying a rat from the petstore.
There was an overwhelming rersponse not to get a rat from a petstore, but from a rescue or a breeder.
Riddle me this.
Seems to me they're in the same boat. Actually. I think there's even MORE of a chance with behavioral problems and illness with rescues.
What the dillio?
Ok, I think I know what's going on, I was thinking of a rescue as in animal shelter.
I have a rescue webpage bookmarked and I'll look into adopting some rats when I move out =B
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubie

Riddle me this.
What the dillio?
If you've looked through past posts you've probably already read my opinion on this......

But remember that rats at pet shops almost always come from a rodent farm. Not a nice place. Personally, I don't want to fund the rodent farms or encourage them by buying animals from pet shops. So I have adopted several rats from shelters and from other people who have fostered them or needed to rehome their pet. I have had rats from pet shops in the past, but I wouldn't do it again. I don't believe animals should be sold in pet shops for all sorts of reasons.

It is, however, a very individual decision. My decision is based on my moral views, not on health etc. though pet shop rats are not reknown for having outstanding health - the rodent farms aren't bothered about breeding for health, they just want cute coloured rats that will sell well.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanlou
If you've looked through past posts you've probably already read my opinion on this......

But remember that rats at pet shops almost always come from a rodent farm. Not a nice place. Personally, I don't want to fund the rodent farms or encourage them by buying animals from pet shops. So I have adopted several rats from shelters and from other people who have fostered them or needed to rehome their pet. I have had rats from pet shops in the past, but I wouldn't do it again. I don't believe animals should be sold in pet shops for all sorts of reasons.

It is, however, a very individual decision. My decision is based on my moral views, not on health etc. though pet shop rats are not reknown for having outstanding health - the rodent farms aren't bothered about breeding for health, they just want cute coloured rats that will sell well.

I already updated my post =3 When I move I'll be looking to adopt rats, and I'll be able to adopt more then one at a time, for females, I'm looking for about 4 and males, two, so I'll be able to keep brothers and sisters together. And the pictures they have show they're healthy and happy, not mention adorable beyond words <3 ^_^
One day I'd like to breed rats, for a hobby and to breed the best rats possible. And I'd like to be able to keep all the rats that I can't find suitable homes for. That's the big thing, if you can't keep them all, then don't breed them all =\

Just a side note, I got my rats as pups, who were actually too young to be weaned, but, alas, it's not their fault, and me not getting them wouldn't really accomplish anything since they breed the rats like crazy anyway in the backroom. So I got them for two bucks apiece, and for the most part they're pretty sociable.
Luci is less so, I think 'cause he was like, 4 weeks when I got him, which is way too young =\ but Spirit was the same way and now he's loving and affectionate, who get's the tar bit out of him by luci -_-
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 AM

Love your rat cage!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Eek i think Iam going nuts, I sat there trying to figure out what that white thing was finaly hit me that it was your rat.
I love that cage, if i had a rat I'd have one of those but, i dont so I dont.How much was that cage.

May I point out that pound arn't the nicest either.My cat Tazz had kennel cough, mites, fleas, ticks, infections in his eyes ears mouth and his rear, and we think he may have something wrong with his digestive system.In my life I usally animals in pound in worse conditions then petstore, and these aren't the ones they get off the streets.Tazz was born in the pound.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 11:32 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Just because Petco animals look healthy, it is another thing on how they are treated and their genes. The animals @ Petco is breed for Quanity NOT Quality, they wont pick out the animals with good personalities and health genes to breed, so your getting animals with bad gene lines like hereditary infections and cancers (etc) that could get sick, which cost you more money to be bringing them to the vet more often, and die because of it. It is safer to get them from a reliable breeder as you know their living conditions, Gene line and the rats will not be as sick and prone to illness as pet store animals. I have had Pet Store animals and they get sick and I would not get from them again, only from a GOOD breeder or a rescue!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Last edited by GeishaGirl; 08-08-2006 at 11:34 PM.

Tags
animal abuse, animal lover, animal shelter, chicken wire, ear infection, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, kennel cough, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, rat cage, rat food