Silent Spinner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Silent Spinner

Has anyone had any experiance with the Silent Spinner wheel? What about the Wodent Wheel?
I am going mouse wheel shopping in the next few days and I want something safe and quiet.Suggestions?

They have a wheel now,it is no set brand.It is a plastic red wheel that came from one of them hamster starter kits.It squeaks like something sick,even after being oiled! So I want to get a new one.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I have never used the silent spinner or wodent wheel. I have heard that the silent spinner only works for a little while and then gets loud, but it is probably the quietest you will find.

I have the comfort wheel. It is VERY loud, so I wouldn't recommend it there, but my girls love it and I have found that the cleaner it is the less loud!! It comes in lots of colors too and it lasts a long time. I had a blue one that lasts through...oh probably...30 mice (2 years) and then finally it retired and I got a new purple one

1st generation

My mice now

They can both fit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Oh I have a Comfort Wheel somewhere.I never knew that is what it was called.I cannot find it though,mine is yellow.

The wheel I have right now looks alot like the CW,but attaches to bar cages.Even with cleaning it and oiling it,it still squeaks way too loud...ugh!
Last night I could not sleep and had to remove the wheel overnight.I felt kind of bad about it,but even in another room I could hear it and was kept awake!

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yes...I had one like that that came in the hamster cage, so I know what you are talking about. The comfort wheel isn't quite as bad but pretty close!

There is also the flying saucer one. I have never used that one and I don't really like the design...it seems like it wouldn't work well but I am not sure on the loudness factor.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:43 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If you are using the silent spinner in a cage then it's okay. You will have to oil it every once in awhile. I used to use a drop of olive oil and it would take the squeak away. If it's in the cage you can attach it to the bars.

If you are going to use it in a tank I wouldn't recommend it. The base doesn't sit quite right and it rattles against the bottom of the tank.

*Missy*
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Rodentologist

I have the spinners, but really smart animals can take them off their hubs.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 AM
the rodent lover<3

I have a simple green plastic wheel for Eddie. I oiled it, No squeaking but you know when he's in it, even if you're not looking. it is Similar to the comfort wheel.

David has the one the gerbils had since they wouldn't even TOUCH it

David has this

It makes noise, I haven't tried De squeaking it, though. I will soon.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Hello Earthling

Dang squeeky wheels. To bad they don't make treadmills for mice.

All the times I have played with wheels at the store (yes I am that weird) they all squeeked but the silent spinner was the quiest

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks everyone for the opinions.
I am going tommorrow or the next day to look at wheels.Until then they have their current wheel.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 PM

I have the sam wire one as above adn it was loud until I oiled it and then nothing it was good. Plus it was pretty cheep.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

The Silent Spinners so far has been the best choice that I've found in my opinion. It does take on what I describe as a "patter patter patter", but in my opinion, it's far less obnoxious than most.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Remember though that the silent spinners will need to be cleaned almost daily. All the times I have used one, the mice would run and potty at the same time. Also the smell can leech into the plastic.

*Missy*
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have a habitrail wheel which came with the mini cage. It is really quiet and only needs cleaning every week as it has a thin gap in the centre of the plastic which debris falls through. Unfortunately this model only fixes onto the cage so you need the mini but I think Habitrail do other wheels too, not sure but might be worth a check
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 04:46 PM

I have a Silent Spinner wheel, it's great!

It is very quiet, but I had to make a few modifications (easy, as long as you have tape!)

Where the colored section meets the white, it is not quite tight enough so it rattles a bit. To fix it, push them together and use clear Scotch tape (do it about three times in different places)

This is the quietest wheel you will ever find (once you make my recommended modification)!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 11:30 PM

I picked up a super saucer type wheel for the mice yesterday at petco for 2.00 clearance. good price but mice don't know what to do with is thing. so we went back to the old metal cheepy. I have seen and spunn the silent one in the store but was concerned with the connectors in the back as they where quite loose.