Snak Shak Hide-Away - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Jenna-they WON'T eat them. Rats especially are very picky eaters. If something makes them feel bad, they won't eat it. And IMO opinion if you're finding them something to eat and destroy in the process then buying something they won't eat would be pointless.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 02:35 PM
What If Your Mother Was Watching You

Someone mentioned rats not doing well with alfalfa or something- I think most people who have rats know that if you put it in their cage, it is going to turn into pee-soaked swiss cheese eventually. I don't think rats actually 'eat' their things- they just like to make confetti out of it. I have often wondered if you could not employ the rats to make bedding for everyone else- and the gerbils, too- my boy gerbs can disintegrate a cereal box in 5 minutes flat. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I have been frosted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 08:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
Jenna-they WON'T eat them. Rats especially are very picky eaters. If something makes them feel bad, they won't eat it. And IMO opinion if you're finding them something to eat and destroy in the process then buying something they won't eat would be pointless.

Since when were rats picky eaters? Out of all the years I have owned rats,I have NEVER seen a picky rat.They will eat almost anything they can if given the chance.

The alphalfa tho they didn't eat.Thats just one of the few things they wouldn't eat.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

my rats would eat anything, BUT alfalfa. so no picky rats in my over seven years of rat keeping

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Think about it. When you give rats something new what do they do? They'll take a bite then wait a few minutes to see if it's okay. That's what I mean by picky eaters. It's not brain science.

*Missy*
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
Think about it. When you give rats something new what do they do? They'll take a bite then wait a few minutes to see if it's okay. That's what I mean by picky eaters. It's not brain science.
That's not really being picky, that's a defense mechanism... And mine have never done that, they sniff it for about 5 seconds and then dig in whether it was intended to be food or not.

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 07:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nara
That's not really being picky, that's a defense mechanism... And mine have never done that, they sniff it for about 5 seconds and then dig in whether it was intended to be food or not.
Yep,thats how my rats are!Sniff and dig right in!No hesistation at all!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

same here

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Mine sniff, but usually when I give them something new it takes them a minute to eat it.

*Missy*
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 09:47 AM
What If Your Mother Was Watching You

I found this little alfalfa and honey house at walmart of all places- too small for rats, but my gerbil boys love it! I should have taken a picture of it before they buried it, but here it is anyway-

And of course I let them start chewing the box up before taking a picture- this was the mostly intact side LOL

It's very roomy- big enough fo 5 or 6 gerbils, I'd bet- and cost what- about $6 I think. The only thing I didn't like is it had a wooden bead on the top- I was afraid it might either be too hard for teeth or possibly present a choking hazard- so I broke it off before giving them the hut.

Definitely good to check strange walmarts in other towns- as I also bought a dozen waterbottles on clearance there- 25cents for the 8oz and 50cents for the 16oz ones- perfectly new waterbottles, just a brand they aren't carrying any more. So now we have replenished our back-ups LOL

I have been frosted

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Playful Pup

I've seen these in the store.. be careful.. one of the main ingredients is shavings.. you try hard enough to get your kritters NOT to eat thier shavings.. why give it to them on purpose?
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 05:58 AM
Rodentologist

I don't know about any other animals, but they do market these for guinea pigs as well, and I definitely don't reccomend them for guinea pigs. All the sugars are not good for them, not mention that the alfalfa is inappropriate for piggies over a six months old.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Love em

My rats go crazy! for these things. I give one to Topaz and it's gone in a week. It's like ratty crack at my house lol, so they are limited on how many they get. My moms chinchilla however doesn't touch hers, I've seen some that get HUGE!!!

http://pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/...bac12d18d2.jpg

this one seems pretty big if thats an adult g-pig.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have alot of Snak shak items for my Hamsters. i have that hide-away, a log to hide in, and a food dish. Rats will love this little hideout. My hamster doesn't eat it, but I see little nibbles here and there. There are ones for larger animals too like rabbits and guinea piggies, Overall they are great for any rodent/small animal (Also they have a guinea piggie log!)

I have a feeling I'm not in Illinois anymore.

1 hamster
1 Bearded Dragon
R.I.P. Blue, Nikki, Nosey, Hurley, Roxie.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:59 PM
laugh often

The huts I buy doesn't contain shavings but anyways My mice went nuts for the huts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna

Tags
baby bunny, chew toy, chew toys, food bowl, guinea pig