Would this appeal to anyone? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Would this appeal to anyone?

I have a small software company that lets people create databases. We also give away free database designs to people who have the software, so I'm always trying to think of things that might help people out.

I was thinking of doing a database where people could keep information about their pets (like vet records, pictures, etc.). Do you think that's something that people would actually use, and if so, what information would you want to see?

Thank you very much for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think this is an interesting idea. However, you would have to come up with some aspect of the design that would make it worthwhile for users. Most people don't have so many pets that they need something as large as a database to organize their information. What would this system offer that could not be obtained through saving the information in my Google Documents?

I think that tech savvy people would not be likely to use this type of system without some sort of really cool innovation that would put it a step above simply storing their information in a spreadsheet. And it would have to be intuitive enough for people who are not tech savvy and are less likely to store their information on a computer at all.

As far as the pictures go, you'd need to provide some sort of linking/posting capabilities because many people already "store" their pictures using services like flickr and photobucket.

Just some things to consider.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
I think this is an interesting idea. However, you would have to come up with some aspect of the design that would make it worthwhile for users. Most people don't have so many pets that they need something as large as a database to organize their information. What would this system offer that could not be obtained through saving the information in my Google Documents?
It kind of sounds like you're thinking it wouldn't be a worthwhile addition?

Just to clarify, I wasn't thinking anyone would only use the software just for a pets database, more just as a nice addition for people who already have it. (The idea is you can keep everything in one place to minimize having things scattered around. You can see some samples of the other templates I've designed at http://www.databaseoasis.com/available-templates.html.)

Quote:
And it would have to be intuitive enough for people who are not tech savvy and are less likely to store their information on a computer at all.
It's actually designed for the technically challenged.

Quote:
Just some things to consider.
Thank you. I really appreciate your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ah, now I understand a bit more what it's all about. Seeing the site, I think the pet stuff could definitely be a good addition. I think people who were using the system would be interested in having that functionality. Cool!

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Playful Pup

I think it would be good for breeders aswell e.g with dogs to keep all details of the dogs that they have studded out.. dates..litters.. and things x

Mummy To -

- Spike

- Lots

- Cookie

- Dexter
And Of Course My 2 Children

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell19 View Post
I think it would be good for breeders aswell e.g with dogs to keep all details of the dogs that they have studded out.. dates..litters.. and things x
Ohh... that's a good idea. Thanks!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Newborn Pup

I think it would help for vet records...maybe a program for vets to use? I know some still use paper files for everything.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
I think it would help for vet records...maybe a program for vets to use? I know some still use paper files for everything.
Thanks. If anyone works for a vet, I'd be willing to give you the software for free if you help me design something that would be useful. (The same goes for any other ideas.) You can e-mail me at [email protected].
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Newborn Pup

I think this is a wonderful idea.Its like a private pet safe deposit box.That's Cool.Great idea.

yoby

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

for breeders it would be nice to know how many in each litter, morality rate, dates of shots, dates of weaning, names of adopters, coat colors maybe, weight, height, length and so on.

for reptile owners/breeders it would be nice to know the feeding scheduale, ages, length, weight, breeding pairs, breeding seasons, egg laying date, hatching date, number of eggs, number of non fertile eggs

for common owners the age, weight, pictures when young, pictures when older, ya know like a baby book, date of shots date of checkups ... even sizes of collars and memos of booster shots.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 AM
chinchilla breeder

I know breeders use data bases. I know I would if I found one I liked enough. Right now I write it all out, and being up to 60+ chinchillas that is a lot of writing LOL

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Newborn Pup

i think it might work, it be easier then having a huge folder with all the papers inside. i think it be more suited for people who have lots of pets rather than just one or two...but then it would depend on how organised the person is.

would ur software offer a reminder service for like when ever the next vet check is due?? ooo and a kinda cool thing would be like when u open the program as well as having the pets name to choose from to open their documents u could have a little picture of them next to it ^_^ that would look soo nice ^_^