Yesterdays News...for rodents! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yesterdays News...for rodents!

Who here used/uses Yesterdays News for rodents,like rats or mice or whatever?

I use aspen currently...but since I have so many rats,the bags I get are no longer lasting.I mean,they last me a week.I do my cages every 2 days and the bags of aspen really don't last anymore.

I know some people use YN for rats and I saw huge bags of it for about $9,while a bag of aspen thats not even half the size is $6.So I am thinking of chaning to that.I still may buy aspen to mix in...but what are your opnions?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Well, I don't use it with rodents but am now using it for the rabbits and love it! It absorbs much better then aspen and is easier to clean. Although with the rabbits I just clean the litterboxes once a day...I'm not sure what your cleaning scedule with the rats is.

By the way, don't bother getting the special "small animal" one. It's the same thing as the un-scented cat litter...only more expensive! Plus, you can can get bigger bags of the cat one.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:50 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I am also thinking on using it, for my rats and my bunny. I think it will be good for both of them and it will be a lot safer for my rabbit as she is on pine shavings. My rats are on aspin and I was planning on getting my rabbit off it very soon. So if I buy the YN I can use it with a bit of aspin so they still have a bedding material and not think it is food (I don't think the rats will even try it as much as my rabbit as they HATE pellets, but my rabbit may be confused and think it to be food. Hope to see more info about it on here so I can make a better judgment also! Thanks Lisa, I needed to be reminded of this and needed more info on it also!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Fluffy Chimphead

I know its not the same but i used the yestedays news for my cats and they hated it. we used it becuase tigger had an open cut on her foot and the vet thought it wasbest to use tht so as not to get the dust of the litter in it. if ur rats and rabbits aren't diggers it will work but both the cats we had then love to dig in the litter and they were unable to dig properly since they like to be quiet while we are in bed and the litter was really loud when they dug in it. I say give it a try and see if you like it. Buy a small bag to see rather then getting the big bag and finding out that either you are your animal babies don't like it.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Well, I don't use it with rodents but am now using it for the rabbits and love it! It absorbs much better then aspen and is easier to clean. Although with the rabbits I just clean the litterboxes once a day...I'm not sure what your cleaning scedule with the rats is.

By the way, don't bother getting the special "small animal" one. It's the same thing as the un-scented cat litter...only more expensive! Plus, you can can get bigger bags of the cat one.
I clean my cages every 2 days...sometimes every 3 days.

I didn't even know they made it for small animals...but I never pick up the small bags, as they would only do me like a few cages and thats it.I wanna get the large bags they have out for cats.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I clean my cages every 2 days...sometimes every 3 days.

I didn't even know they made it for small animals...but I never pick up the small bags, as they would only do me like a few cages and thats it.I wanna get the large bags they have out for cats.
I've seen ones for rodents, rabbits, and ferrets. But they're all the same thing .

I totally understand about not getting small bags. The small bag wouldn't last a day in this house!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:45 AM

would it work for guinea pigs? aspen is so messy and carefresh ect is soooo expensive. that sounds a little more reasonable.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

I use YN for my rat, I *love* it. Even after a week, there's no smell, you'd think the cage had just been cleaned or something lol. I definitely like it more than aspen. I get the big bag of the "cat" litter...I can't even imagine how expensive it would be if I got the "small animal" stuff!

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I just went out tonight and bought a large bag of YN.I do cages tommorrow,so I shall see how I like it.So far,I hear alot of good feedback...so I cannot wait to try it!

* Lisa *

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:50 PM

Tell me how it turns out Lisa. If it's better than aspen i'll probably change over too. What is yesterday's news anyway? Like "paper"?
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
Tell me how it turns out Lisa. If it's better than aspen i'll probably change over too. What is yesterday's news anyway? Like "paper"?
It is actually a cat litter...apparently they make it for rodents now too,but they are in small bags and are more expensive then the large bags of the cat stuff.It is recycled paper pellets.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:22 PM

Ah. Gotcha.
Wonder if wal-mart sells it? (wouldnt see why not)...
Let me know how good it is.If you find it better than aspen I'll try it out too after I get the aspen all gone =) .

I love the fact that its recycled too.Always a plus!!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yep,Wal Mart does sell it.Thats where I got it.It is in the cat litter section.They have big bags (the one I got) for $6 or the JUMBO bags for $12.I only got the big,just in case I didn't like it.I will definatly let you know what it is like.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 06:38 PM

I'm considering switching to that after our aspen is gone too. But that's going to be at least three months, we got a TON while it was on sale about a month ago. Let us know how you like it.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I use it for Gunny (my ferret) and love it

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out

Tags
aspen shavings, bird cage, dried pine, guinea lynx, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, kitty litter, litter box, litter boxes, pine shavings, timothy hay, wood stove pellets