911 Guinea Pig Help Please!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation 911 Guinea Pig Help Please!!!!!

My name is Lee and I have 4 guinea pigs 3 of them from the same liter and pet store ( 6-8 months old ) and another larger older boar added not long after.Basically my delima is Mr. P who is the largest young boar.He got along fine with the others untill about a week ago. His testicles grew all the sudden and i can only imagine he is if full puberty.
He started by mounting the others, especially the more timid of the pigs.He allways was the more overbearing of the boars but all of the sudden the mounting has changed to teeth chattering and biting!! We seperate him for a day or so in another cage only to see him tear his cage apart and when we reunite him with his brothers he picks up right where he left off. PLEASE help with any suggestions while we will not turn our back on Mr. P we don't feel its fair to the other boars to have to live in fear PLEASE and THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What size is your cage? Most people don't realize how much space guinea pigs need and it's the most common cause for them to fight like that. This might help: http://www.guinealynx.info/housing.html. In fact, check out the rest of the website--there's a ton of great info .

If he persists, you could also look into neutering which might calm him down. Just be sure to go to a vet experienced with guinea pigs.

Welcome to Paw-Talk, by the way.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Rodentologist

Ditto to Sasami, how big is the cage? Four boars really need ~16+ square feet to cohabitate nicely.

Neutering is a good thought, Sasami, but it really doesn't calm guinea pigs down in the same way that it does with bunnies and such. They'll still be obnoxious, overbearing, and very dominant afterwards. We typically neuter boars that don't get along with other boars just so we can find them a ladyfriend.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Neutering is a good thought, Sasami, but it really doesn't calm guinea pigs down in the same way that it does with bunnies and such. They'll still be obnoxious, overbearing, and very dominant afterwards. We typically neuter boars that don't get along with other boars just so we can find them a ladyfriend.
Ah, I see, that's interesting.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well my cage is pretty big i made it myself about 4x 4 and I geuss at this point we are entertaining neutering him. But I do have a 2 story cage in the backyard we have been working on will be ready in about a week.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Newborn Pup

From what I've heard, neutering may be quite risky with small animals like guinea pigs, so I'd suggest it may be worth doing a bit of research into it first before deciding either way. I've got two boars who similarly started arguing as they grew up, and they now live in separate cages - they can be perfectly happy like this, their cages are next to each other so they don't feel alone, but at the same time they each have their own territory and they can't get at each other!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Rodentologist

With a qualified vet, it's not a dangerous surgery (well, any more than surgery is inherently dangerous for any living thing, including humans). We do routinely neuter boars, and haven't lost any in years, since our vet first started doing neuters.

However, as mentioned, 9 times out of 10 it's because the boars are stuck in pet store cages, which are essentially glorified litter boxes.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Newborn Pup

Yes, I agree that you need to find a good vet - in my experience, some vets know more about guinea pigs than others, so find one that you have confidence in and can discuss this with. Ask at your local surgery which of their vets has the most experience with guinea pigs.

I would still recommend researching different people's opinions and experiences (like you're doing anyway by posting your question here, and ask for the vet's opinion as well) before deciding what's best for you and your pigs, and not taking just one person's word either way. Guinea pigs have different personalities, so what's the best solution for one guinea pig may not be the best solution for another - some boars will just not get on, no matter how much space you give them. You know your own guinea pigs best, so you need to find out about the different options and then decide what's the best for your guinea pigs.

Tags
guinea pig 911