Anyone ever use Linoleum for their cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Anyone ever use Linoleum for their cage?

I was thinking of getting linoleum instead of Coroplast for my cage this time. It's just a pain for me to get coroplast and I know this floor store that will probably give me a scrap of linoleum if I ask nice.
I like the look of Cavy Spirits big cage with door and flap. Looks a breeze to clean.
here it is:
http://imageevent.com/cavyspirit/cavycageslinoleumbase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Fungus Mungus Rep

I used linoleum in the first cages I made, till I found choroplast. I did it a bit different though. The floor was linoleum, the sides were cut pieces of plastic siding (for houses) and it was sealed at the base and corners with clear silicone sealant. It was a pain to make and clean compared to the choroplast that way. But it was what we had for almost for the first year. And it worked OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 07:04 PM
still waiting for a title

I don't know it I would touch it or not. Isn't Linoleum toxic because of the chemicals used?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have no idea if Linolium is toxic, but i can't imagine it would be healthy if they ate it. I have 1 that would probably give a few nibbles to test it out but I don't think they would make a habit out of eating it when there is plenty of good food to eat.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

We use linolium for the bottom of one of our piggie cages, found it to be cheaper then the plexi glass as a bottom, but we still use the choroplast for the edging around the grates..... the linolium makes for easy clean up and the way hubby did it, there is no way they can possibly chew it, and well their bedding is placed over it as well.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Fungus Mungus Rep

Oh, I forgot to mention I made the sides of plastic siding in order to prevent the chewing of it. When only the floor was made of it, it couldnt be chewed. But the way I did is harder to clean.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 11:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My vet warned me against ever using it for a cage material because it is indeed toxic.

Stephanie

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 11:37 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jade wouldn't it only be toxic if the guinea pig could get to it to chew it? or is it toxic in general? just asking as I use this for the base of the bottom of one of their cages, however like I mentioned above there is no way for the girls to chew on on it....Just curious

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Fungus Mungus Rep

You can use report cover binders to prevent pigs from chewing the edges. They will just slip right along the edge if you can get the cuts on the linoleum pretty straight. Just that it takes a lot of these and if you are trying to save money you probably might as well get choroplast. Dunno.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm not sure on that one. I can email her and ask though.

Actually she's out of town, but it looks like lead is the main concern and it seems that chewing is where the problem would lie. I'd be hesitant to even use it in the first place b/c of the lead content.

Stephanie

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 06:46 AM
Toilet Paper Deputy In Training

I use linoleum as a base. The sides are made of linoleum but not the way pictured on cavy cages. The linoleum is stuck to something if it is in the cage. The base linoleum is stuck to the foam board. The side linoleum (in the back and sides of the cage) are stuck to a peice of wood. Then I have a giant towel over the linoleum, and it seems to work fine.

In the cavy cages pictures it just seems so curvy and I don't know how that works.

here are some pictures of my cage. Although bedding would not work for this type of cage. I don't have any chewers, and even if I did I don't think it would be a problem because everything is so flat and so stuck together. They may see it has such a hard object that they don't dare chew it.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Looks like it's pointing towards No, I better not do the Linolium.
I love your cage Allysse but I can't use towels- tried that already and it was much too much laundry with 6 pigs. Plus i really should throw away their bedding considering the problem I have with them. Love your new Avatar too- cute, arn't you glad you got that title?

Tex , I thought of that just this morning with the notebook binders. Would you know how much they are ? Maybe I could get a box of them online cheap. Can you just get those plastic edges seperate or do you have to buy something else that goes along with them? The pigs have not been able to pull them off? I guess they could be glued on too.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 12:23 PM
Fungus Mungus Rep

Well, so far the only things I have used them with are the houses and the edges of coroplast. It normally fits so snug they cant be pulled off by the pigs. In fact when I say "slip right on" that is misleading to, because I first have to stick the back end of a ball point pen or something tapered like the end of a hobby knife, between the the edges of the binder to widen it. Then getting it on is a bit of work, but not too much.

The price varies. But the walmart ones dont fit as snug and arent as durable. office supply brands are best. Here I can get a box of them for about $11.00 at "Sav-on Office Supply". I forgot how many it comes with because I havent done it yet. Still just buying them 3 to 6 at a time which is about $2.00 to $4.00. They do come with the clear plastic report covers. These are the old fashioned report covers that are clear plastic and you slide the binder over the back edge of the plastic cover after inserting your report. But you can throw those clear covers away, or find another use for them, or add them to your goodwill/church yard sale donations. (someone might have a use for them if we dont)

Oh, and I suppose they could be glued on if necessary. But if they arent glued on, then they are easily replacable when and if the pigs chew and damage them.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the onfo. I think I will probably do it with those plastic edges. I think if they can't get to the edge they won't nibble on it.

I will buy a box of them though.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Toilet Paper Deputy In Training

:cool: In response to my avatar

Tags
cage mate, guinea pig