bad hay? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

Question bad hay?

anyone get or use the 24oz kaytee natural timothy hay bags? The hay looked really good and Hagrid LOVES it, but then i got to the midle of the bag and the texture is totally different (stiffer?), the color is brownish and hagy will NOT touch it....

bad bag or are they trying to pull something?......

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Kaytee isn't the best. I've seen lots of brown, low quality hay in their bags at Petsmart. Oxbow makes really high quality hay and my rabbits love it. You can probably find a supplier in your area or you can order it online. There is a lady that sells it near me and I always buy it in 9lb bags. It lasts a long time and the whole bag is green and fresh. Kaytee's pellets aren't very good either. They are way too high in fat. I switched over to Oxbow timothy pellets and the rabbits love those too.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

i would never buy kaytee hay.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've used Kaytee for my chins once in a pinch. I think you'd be surprised at the difference between it and Oxbow. Use Oxbow once and I can almost guarantee you'll never go back.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I would love to use Oxbow for my animals but it's too hard to get here and way too expensive to ship enough for 13 chins and 2 rabbits. I get my hay at the feed store in bales. It's fresh, green and everyone loves it! Kaytee is terrible hay if you ask my critters. It doesn't do me any good to get it in a pinch, cuz the picky little ones won't touch it.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

hm...good thing we only got it to start off...... he does love it tho. the good bits....but we ARE looking for the other....

thanks

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

I use feed store hay also, Kaytee hay is fine but sometimes while they are baling it they get some of the stuff that sits in the rain and it isn;t the best. I've even heard that oxbow has old hay sometimes it all depends on how the weather was while it was being baled. It doesn't mean it is all bad just that bunch.
It is way cheaper to find a feed store that can get locally baled hay. You aren';t paying for shipping that way.

Here is a good hay supplier on line

http://www.kmshayloft.com/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:18 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I get my hay at the feedstore too. Buying hay for 30 guinea pigs would be too expensive going to oxbow. Shipping gets you...

The feed store lets me go and pick out my bales to it's not too stemmy or brown looking. I get the greenest and softest hay and all my pigs are happy with it.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Tags
guinea pig, timothy hay