bedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

Exclamation bedding

what do you all use for bedding....? trying to better our knowledge.

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 03:02 PM
I live in a Pigdom

I use kiln dried pine. With as many pigs as I have it is the most affordable choice for me. The bag must say it is kiln dried for me to use it.

If one of my pigs is sick or have had surgery I bed them on towels.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 03:30 AM
Playful Pup

i use timothy hay- my guinea pigs love it!

guinea
pig
cute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 01:43 PM
still waiting for a title

I can only use Carefresh because Patrick has allergies to everything else.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Part of the Pack

I also use kiln-dried pine, purchased from the feedstore (cheaper than from a petstore).

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

I just started using Carefresh. It's sort of pricey but it works very well. I used to use pine but that was when I had more than 5 and was changing cages more often.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I also use kiln dry pine because of cost mainly. I just bought this woody pet (wood pellets)today and want to try it out in 1 cage. It would be nice if it works out because the film of woodshaving dust gets all over the place and I'm really tired of that mess.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 09:35 PM

Tell me how that goes I stopped using wood stove pellets because they had this nasty odor that I couldn't take. I mixed some aspen in with the carefresh today and the whole bedding seems softer. That is good news for my piggers little feet!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't think the wood pellets will work here. The bag only covered the bottoms of a couple cages and I still used the pine shavings over the top because I thought it looked rough on their little feetsies. I like the smell though. I wish carefresh came in huge bales and was 5$ in white of course, I hate the grey stuff.
I don't understand how you can use hay for bedding, it's not asorbant at all.
Right now I have my rabbit on newspapers with straw on top, but the bunny is litter pan trained and I just have to dump that out all the time.
Towels are nice but if I clean them out in am they stink by Pm (using towels)
I wish they would make something more afordable that works.

Last edited by Linda Lee; 02-05-2005 at 09:37 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't currently have a guinea pig but at the times where we've had them we used Aspen bedding and had no problems.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aspen is really nice and suppose to be really safe, but it cost double the price of pine shavings. I guess it's great if you just have a couple pigs.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 08:44 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I wonder if aspen and Carefresh can be mixed together; I have both. The Carefresh costs me five dollars a week, which isn't too bad, I guess. (?).
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 06:11 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, sure you can mix them- I think you'll even get the bedding fluffy when you do that.
I would have to use at least 2 of the largest bags(maybe more) of carefresh a week- and carefresh cost 13.99--16.99 for the big bag I think.
$5.00 a week is good., that's what I spend on pine shavings a week.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 12:41 PM

I've been mixing it up for the last 3 weeks and I really like it. It has all of the smell deterring properties and fluffiness that I prefer the girls to be in. It has cut costs by half.

I spend around 5.00 a week by combining them.

Tags
dried pine, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, litter pan, pine shavings, timothy hay, wood stove pellets