before I get new piggiez - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question before I get new piggiez

Since my dear Speedy died I'd like to get another pet. Mom wants me to get two now. I've read up on this before but I'd like to hear it from you. Two girl piggies are ok, a girl and a guy are okay, but two guys would fight? Is that statement true? Maybe some of you have had guys together and can say they got along well. I'm going to get my piggies at Petsmart. They usually are delivered at the same time but I don't know if any of them would be from the same litter. (I guess I should ask them huh.) >_<

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoOmiEz
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

Don't get a boy and a girl pig. They will mate and you will end up with a mess of babies on your hands and the babies need to be separated from mom at 3 weeks to avoid further mating, plus dad can get mom pregnant immediately after delivery. I would highly recommend two of the same sex, either sex, won't matter! When a pair is introduced at a young age (and most pet store pigs are young) they will bond and do just fine, even two boys.

Please reconsider getting any pet from a pet store. Look for a guinea pig rescue close to you. There are too many unwanted pigs in the world and buying from a pet store only adds to the over population. If you do go to a pet store, make sure you know how to sex them yourself. Don't trust the pet store employees, as most don't have much of a clue.

~Chalupa, Lady, Moxie, Paiseley & Boozer~

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 10:22 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggiemommy
Please reconsider getting any pet from a pet store. Look for a guinea pig rescue close to you. There are too many unwanted pigs in the world and buying from a pet store only adds to the over population.
I agree. You should definitely try a rescue first. Also, when you go through a rescue you will know more about the pig because they are usually in foster care. I had two girls and a boy, but I had the boy neutered. They all got along great.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

yeh..I wanted to go to an adoption area, but my mom said no. I've read about adopting pets rather than buying em at the pet store many times. I'll ask my mom again, but she was worried about the adopted pets being unhealthy because of previous owners. I'll go search for local rescue places in my area. Thx for your advice.

GoOmiEz

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 11:45 PM
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Don't get a pig from PetSmart -- ever. They are guaranteed to be sick and if they've gone too long without treatment, you will only have your heart broken when they cannot be healed...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 02:47 AM
Bat
Playful Pup

I actually prefer havign two boy pigs, rather than two girls, since in my experiance the boys tend to be more laid back. The males seem to be more willing to just relax and go to sleep. This could be because all my males were brought up by Moe from when they were 6 weeks old, and Moe trains them into laid back adorableness

However, as soon as there is more than one male, and somethign that smells like female guinea-pig I have had problems with the males fighting, having said that my current pair of females fight constantly and have to live apart in order to avoid blood and fur everywhere.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 08:14 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I have found that all of the pigs that I have adopted from rescues are healthier than pigs I have gotten at Petsmart. The ones I brought home from Petsmart had URI's and I had to bring them into the vet to get them meds or they would have died. It was touch and go with one. I will now only go to shelters and rescues, if they are fed an adequate diet and have ample space in their housing they should live a full and happy life.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

okay, I'll go check out the SPCA. Does anyone know where Petsmart gets their guinea pigs from though? My mom finally said we can adopt two piggies. The SPCA only wants $5.00 if you adopt, and mom liked that idea. lol.

GoOmiEz

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I agree. The rescues take much better care of their animals than the pet stores. If the piggies are sick, they treat them. I never buy animals from pet stores (except fish). I recently broke down and got a hamster from Petsmart and she has mites. When I confronted them about it, they denied that their hamsters were scratching.

Have you tried Petfinder.com?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

ah jeez, thats not very cool of them. K, I searched on Petfinder but the locations were too far away from me, thx anyway. I'm sure theres some cute lil' piggiez in need of adoption somewhere around here...lol. ^_^ good luck with your hamster!

GoOmiEz

Tags
guinea pig, guinea pig rescue, pet store, pet stores