Breeding - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 08:13 AM

Wood shavings are only suitable for large dogs and I think horses (?). You cannot use them for any small pets.

The only safe wood shavings are Aspen, and kiln dried pine is ok, but not very absorbant. NO pine and NO cedar.

Hanlou... you're from Derbyshire too! Small world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Curmudgeon

To be fair, Cedar is the real villian in the wood shavings. There is some dispute as to whether Pine shavings are as dangerous to small animals as some people make them out to be.

Western Red Cedar is very high in aromatics that have proven to be irritants ...and effective insecticides (which is why they were used in the first place). They have been linked to asthma, liver damage, and various other "bad things" when animals (and people) are exposed to them long term.

Fresh pine shavings produce are not as aromatic, and produce a MUCH weaker allegic response.

As Spud mentioned, kiln dried pine and Aspen are considered safe.

There are other products out there that also work as well, or better, than wood shavings.

Paper litters (some made from recycled paper), corn cob litters, wheat grass litter, strips of paper (trade name of Eco-litter), ...and my favorite ..Timothy Hay.

I wouldn't recommend the corn cob bedding ...in my experience, it molds very fast.

The wheat grass litter inhibits the production of ammonia ..a very good thing.

I like the Timothy hay because it's a good snack as well as litter, and I can buy it cheaply (by the bale) and just keep it in the barn or garage as long as you keep it off the ground.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 04:53 PM

Lol Spud!! Small world, eh?! I live on the outskirts of Derbyshire, on the border of Nottinghamshire. We're near Mansfield, and on the Robin Hood Line to Nottingham. I used to live near Matlock, but had to move back home due to illness.

Back OT - I agree with what's been said about bedding, however, I must point out to you that the post made regarding them said that a rat breeder uses them, and rats have very sensitive respiratoty systems, so any allergic reaction that could be created affects them acutely. Better, as said, to 'play it safe' and use a bedding that's known to be totally safe for our 'furbabies'.

(I've yet to see any aspen shavings over here in the Uk. Not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen any myself.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 04:53 PM

Double post... apologies.....

Last edited by Hanlou; 09-02-2005 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Double post!!
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 05:15 PM

Maybe Pets at Home sells it? I would've thought that large chain stores would.
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 05:37 PM

Hmmm, well, I haven't seen any there - however, I try not to shop there as there have been so many hideous tales of woe about that particular chain of pet shops. I won't go into details right now - it's probably way too OT!! just wondered really, if anyone had seen any.

I do wish pet shops would sell the Ecopetbed / Bedxcel - p+p is ridiculously expensive, although I pay it because I like the cardboard bedding best and it does last ages.
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 09:15 PM

I know that this is of topic and i am probably going to start a war here but i just thought that i would express my feelings on something a lot of people in this thread have been saying.
To generalize about pet stores is not fair, i will be the first to tell you that most pet stores are ridiculous in that they will sell you anything just to sell something. Some will tell you a male is a female and so forth, and alot will tell you that breeding pigs is super easy and will encourage you to do it.
Heres the but, I happen to work in a pet store that prides itself on not doing ANY of those things. The owners wife breeds all of our pigs, and each pet quality pig comes with a little birth certificate/care package with all of the animals information and such. They also come with an agreement to not breed your pet quality pig, the person must sign it and agree to the terms before we will sell them a pig. We keep one or two show quality pigs in the store at given times and they too come with all of the same information as the pet qualitys but the people do not have to sign an agreement. We do not sell show quality cavies to kids or people that do not know what they are doing. We are like this with all of our animals. For instance kids that come in to buy hamsters are given an information booklet and are told to come back in a week. Any kids that are serious read the booklet and are back, and the ones who were just doing a spur of the moment "mommy i want that" never show.
I think the generalization about pet stores hurt my feelings. I am a pet store worker and i pride myself on only selling pets to deserving people and not selling pets to people that do no seem like proper owners. Our store is the only one that remains in our town because none of the others had these principles. We like to keep our customers coming back, it is never about selling something right now but setting these people up so that they come back and succeed in their pet keeping.
Not all pet store employees are brainless buttheads trying to push product, some of us care too much about the pets to be that way. I for one will not serve people that try to buy rats for snakes, and my boss doesnt mind, he will not ask me to compromise my beliefs in order to sell something.
We do not cater to customers looking for disposible pets because it is wrong and unfair to the animal and also because they dont come back. By focusing on the people who are serious and informed we have better customers and a better store.
Pleas do not generalize, it hurts those who are trying to make a difference.

By the way, I am completly capable of telling the sex of any pet in our store that is able to be sexed, i dont think that i should be made to feel ashamed for working in a pet store. Some, but not all of your posts were derogitory towards pet store employees, painting a picture of stupid brainless pet pushers, and it made me sad...
To Mods: I know that this is completly off topic and i apoligize, i just had to be sure that the people responding to this thread got to read my post.

Last edited by Phawn; 09-05-2005 at 09:21 PM.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 09:19 AM

I am not, in any way, 'knocking' all pet stores. But here in the UK countless people have had horror stories (including me!) from Pets At Home. I wish that pet shops were more responsible etc (not the place here so I won't go on) but Pets At Home has not got a good reputation amongst animal lovers here. Even so, there are some stores that make an effort and they have responded to info. by updating their 'ratty info' sheet and rats in there should now all have BioCatolet not wood shavings as a matter of course.

It is, of course, a very personal decision, but I do try and shop on-line now. I find pet shops with animals too upsetting a lot of the time. Education is essential, but it seems to be a very long and slow process.

ETA: I'm glad you work in what sounds like a fantastic pet shop! Keep up the good work.
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:07 AM

You are an example to all and should be proud of the work you do. I had terrible experiences with pet stores & wish I could say otherwise. The last time I bought a guinea pig from a pet store, she had ringworm & a bad cold. I realized this by the second day I had her, & rushed her to the vet to confirm. I called & visited the pet store to tell them that my pig was ill & that there was a good chance the 2 pigs caged with her were sick. Since they were already sold, I begged them to let the new owners know so treatment could begin. Unfortunately, the manager of the pet store didn't get what I was trying to do. He kept repeating that I should fill out forms to apply for reimbursement of vet bills. That was totally not the reason I went back. I'm sure they did nothing. I just hope that whoever bought those pigs took proper care of them.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

thank-you 4 ur advice but i came here asking a simple question & havn't got a simple ansewer so what's the go with that???? also my guinea pig could already be pregnant casue i weighed her & she weighed 400g
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://guinealynx.com/breeding.html
http://guinealynx.com/reproduction.html
Those should answer your question.

Stephanie

Tags
african grey, animal lover, animal lovers, aspen shavings, corn cob, corn cob bedding, dried pine, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, litter tray, local shelter, male guinea pigs, pet quality, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, pine shavings, timothy hay, vet visit, vet visits, wood shavings