Breeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Breeding

Hi i'm new to breeding & want know what age my guinea pigs should
mate. My female guinea pig marley is 3 months old & my male barney is 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Seeker of Orbs

i don't know that breeding these furry friends is, uhm, looked upon well here. ??

aah, barney...i've known some great pigs named barney.

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Your best bet is to go back to the breeder you got your quality breeding stock from and ask them what they suggest. They can also act as your mentor should the one of the very many breeding complications occur and you need help. If you do not have quality stock from a reputable COE breeder, then you should never breed these 2 no matter what the age.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 02:00 PM

Why do you want to breed, when there are thousands of pigs in shelters waiting to be adopted?
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

well because the shelters close to me are dogs & cats only.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

so you're going to have one litter of babies and keep them all and seperate the males and females after that?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

well no not all the babies but yes i will separate them.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:06 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

What are you going to do with the others? And whereabouts are you located? You don't have to give the exact location, but a roundabout area would be nice.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Australia & i'll keep a couple from each litter & my cousins want 1 each
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 11:35 AM

i dont think you should even risk the the health and life of your guinea pigs... if they arent show quality (are there shows for guinea pigs?) and you just wanna breed them to breed them, dont you think thats kinda selfish? i mean, i doubt they wanna have babies, maybe you shouldnt make them
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 02:50 PM

I agree. If it isn't necessary, it's not worth putting your female piggy's life at risk. I have a friend that was supposed to get a baby pig from a litter born to her friend's pig. When the time came, all the babies died, as well as the mother. Eventually, she ended up getting one from a pet store. If I hadn't taken in my sister's guinea pig (because she didn't want him anymore) I would have gone to a shelter.

The decision is yours, of course, but please think it through. Don't rush into it, or you might have regrets later. I'm sure you want the best for your little ones!
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I have a feeling your mind is set regardless of what is said here, but your reasons for breeding are wrong and selfish. I just hope that your GPs don't die in the process. I sure hope you have a breeder to mentor you. I know I am not the only member here who fears the upcoming 'emergancy' posts.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Why don't you just buy some more? Or check newpapers ads for some. I'm sure you can probably find some "free to a good home" in there. There are just so many things that can go wrong.... How old are female guinea pigs when their pelvic bones fuse, does anybody know?

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 04:40 PM

Have you fully researched the subject? It might help to check out sites like Cavyspirit.com & read the section on breeding. Warning - some of the stories are upsetting, but are very real. I don't want to come on too strong, but keep in mind that even when people say they will take one of the babies, they may not when the time comes. All too often, the animal is dumped because the owner didn't want to or wasn't capable of taking care of it. If they really wanted a guinea pig, why don't they have one already? You will end up with all the responsibility and no help. That won't be best for you or the pigs. Did you know that some types of pigs should not be mated? If they are, they can produced "lethal" results - babies with small or missing eyes, internal problems that cause pain, deformities, etc. Can you handle that if it happens?
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Here are some rescue groups to check out that are in Australia.

This one is in Sydney- http://www.geocities.com/sydneyguineapigrescue/

This one is also in Sydney (Sutherland Shire, Sydney)- http://www.thecarerescue.org/contactus.html

I don't know if you live in Sydney or near Sydney, but just a thought... I'm sure if you're near, they'll consider meeting you halfway.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
african grey, animal lover, animal lovers, aspen shavings, corn cob, corn cob bedding, dried pine, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, litter tray, local shelter, male guinea pigs, pet quality, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, pine shavings, timothy hay, vet visit, vet visits, wood shavings