Brownie results came back - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi everyone,

Our vet obtained a sample of our guinea pig (Brownie) about a week ago. The vet said she had a fungal infection from ringworm. She was losing some hair around her right ear but only there. She is very active and has gained weight (she went from 335 grams to 431 grams) in the last two weeks. The vet wrote an order for some Griseofulvin (generic name) or Griseoful (brand name) it is an oral suspension. Over the last three days she hs experienced some soft poop. The vet says that may happen from the medicine. She is to take for 45 days. We have had her for about three weeks and purchased her from a pet store. This is the first time I have owned a guinea pig and want to make certain we are doing all that we can for her. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this or can give me any info that may help. She is only about two months old and love her and want only best for her.

Thanks for all the help.
Love this site.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've never owned a guinea pig, but fungal infections are common and I'm sure that she will be fine. You've done the best that you can by giving her love and the care that she needs when she needs it.

The only advice that I will give for future reference, is that next time you buy an animal, try to get it from a professional breeder. Pet shop animals often come from farms where animals are bred without care - thus resulting in many health problems from tumors to recurrent respiratory infections. Of course, I also recommend animals from animal shelters, as any medical conditions would have already been identified by on site vets (hopefully).

Anyway, best of luck and we're thinking about your little one. Keep us updated.
xoxoxo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2 gerbils, Cheech and Cookie

~2 degus, Diego and Luna (rescues!)

~1 old rat, Touille (Too-ee - rescue!), 2 babies, Cassius and Columbus

~A naughty old Jack Russell, Jack (rescue doggy)

~A dopey Black and White Shorthair, also Jack!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Please post some pics!

Sorry I don't have piggy experience either, although, I would like to think I have two piggy nephews. They are my friends piggies.
Going to the vet to get her checked was the best thing to do. I am sure that others that know piggies will let you know a lot more.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks,

I appreciate it. I believe the next pet will br coming from a shelter. I am trying to work on some pics. Every time I try to download them I end up with pics that are too large. I have plenty and as soon as I can get them to fit I will be posting . Thanks again.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Adolescent Pup

When I worked at petsmart I came across this quite a few times. Changed bedding daily is the best thing to prevent her getting it again.

2.1.1 Iguanas
1.2.0 Cats
2.3.0 Puppies
0.1.0 Dogs
1.1.0 Parakeets
1.0.0 Cockatiel
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
1.1.0 Red-eared Sliders
0.0.1 Razorback Musk
0.0.1 Florida Pink-belly
0.0.1 Southern Painted
0.0.1 Mississippi Map
3.1.0 Ferrets
1.0.0 Ball Python
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Guinea pig bedding

Hi,

I know that this has been discussed before but i thought I would bring it up again. For my Guinea pig - Brownie - I have been using a bedding called "total comfort". It is like a shredded cardboard / paper product. It has no dust and no smell but it is quite expensive and if I change it frequently, I will use a lot of it. I use a Pine bedding for my hamsters (and have been using it for years) and works well for them. I wonder if it would be safe to use for my Brownie. i know that cedar is bad but what other alternatives do you believe would be acceptable. I only want the best for her but I don't want to go broke in the mean time. Brownie gives kisses to everyone for helping.

Thanks.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Adolescent Pup

To size pics down you can even use the stretch/skew option in paint reduce the image to say 50% its normal size

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Rodentologist

I wouldn't reccomend using the medication you were given. Although it CAN be used on guinea pigs, it's particularly rough on their GI tract (as your vet mentioned, the soft poops). Guinea pigs dehydrated easily, and if something throws their GI tract out of whack, it's easy for them to spiral downward particularly quickly.

Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Ringworm Medication Advice Needed

That's one thread I found on it, but it's been implicated in several deaths over at Guinealynx. Program is recommended over Griseoful because it's much gentler on the system.

Guinea Lynx :: Fungus

Last edited by Jennicat; 06-16-2007 at 08:38 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 05:11 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeesr1
Hi,

I know that this has been discussed before but i thought I would bring it up again. For my Guinea pig - Brownie - I have been using a bedding called "total comfort". It is like a shredded cardboard / paper product. It has no dust and no smell but it is quite expensive and if I change it frequently, I will use a lot of it. I use a Pine bedding for my hamsters (and have been using it for years) and works well for them. I wonder if it would be safe to use for my Brownie. i know that cedar is bad but what other alternatives do you believe would be acceptable. I only want the best for her but I don't want to go broke in the mean time. Brownie gives kisses to everyone for helping.

Thanks.
Like cedar,pine is toxic and no good for small animals.I suggest you switch to aspen and/or Yesterdays News.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

There are loads of beddings you can use that are cheap and safe. For instance, there are some ecofriendly cat litters such as YN and Biocatolet which are completely suitable for small animals, highly absorbent and good for the environment.

Cheap too!

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Will It Ever Change?

and lets not forget the Carefresh bedding! speaking of pine, i know it's bad but i did have (a long time ago) a mouse that lived 3.5 years with my using pine, as well as a hamster, before i found out it's bad. all i can say is that from my experience the pine has only affected the rats, whom sneeze almost right away. but the mouse adn ham were fine. wierd eh? (oh yes, i said eh)

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 07:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

Natalie,like you long before I knew how bad pine and cedar were,I housed mice and hammies on pine as well without problems! It seems to cause the most problems in rats.However it is still toxic to all small animals.I do agree tho it is weird,because I housed mice and hamsters on it as well once upon a time.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah i know, definitley wierd! i stand by carefesh tho, it's great and never smells

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Adolescent Pup

Personally, I'd just sooner not take the risk for my little ones
It's a shame, I quite like the smell of pine.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 09:07 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh I don't use it no more! That was years ago,before I even knew it was bad.
I use aspen now and sometimes mix it with YN.

* Lisa *

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, carefresh bedding, guinea lynx, guinea pig, pet shop, pet store, pine bedding, respiratory infection, respiratory infections