cage & cleaning - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

cage & cleaning

Does anyone have a 2x3 C&C cage with two pigs in it? How often do you clean? I was playing around with some cubes last night and a 2x3 is an awful big cage!!! I'm not saying that is bad, but how much bedding would I be going through in a month if I was using wood shavings??! Thanks for any info, I'm just curious.
~Jenn-who still can't decide on a new pet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Once a week with spot cleanings in between.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:31 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

"Spot" cleanings? They don't seem to use a "spot"!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:15 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I guess I am lucky then, my herd and rescues have a wet corner in their cage everyday that gets cleaned out.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

I find that the bigger the cage, the more space they have to create a "wet" spot. If the cage is smaller, they tend to go all over. I increased the size of my cage & find it much easier to keep clean. I've started "potty" training, since the cage now has room for a litter box in the corner. I even put the litter box in the playpen when they are enjoying floor time. It's not perfect, but it helps a lot!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

So how much do you guys spend on bedding a month?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:28 PM
I live in a Pigdom

With as many pigs as I have it wouldn't work for you, I go to the feed store once a month and buy $40+ worth of bedding. I use kiln dried pine.

Adopt a pet today!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:45 PM

So, mine usually go more where the food bowl is in the front, and then in the back where the wooden log house is (where they hang out). The place where there is almost no pee/poop is the middle 60% of the floor bottom. Maybe I SHOULD try cleaning out the front and back every several days, and not doing the whole shebang as often.

I used the bigger bag of Kaytee's Soft Sorbent which is very absorbent bedding. I get it for $14 (a good price) at a local place. I go through three bags per month for six GPS.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How big are the bags, Zouave?
Guess I'll have to check out prices around here.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 01:07 PM
I live in a Pigdom

You can find the soft sorbent bedding at Petco and Petsmart as I've seen it there.

Adopt a pet today!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

Is Kaytee's soft sorbant as good as carefresh ultra?

I've been using carefresh & it gets really expensive. I'm maintaining 2 cages now & will put the piggies together after the male is neutered. (Then I have only one big cage.)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:44 PM
I live in a Pigdom

I am not sure how expensive that bedding is as I use kiln dried pine here and get it in huge bags and pay only $4. for each bag.

Adopt a pet today!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Seeker of Orbs

we get a 7.5 cubic feet thingy of kiln dried wood...... it's like.....$5 at tractor supply. we change it ever week and a half on average....and go thru 1 bedding thing every 3 weeks or so....we have a 2x4 CnC..

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennLin22
How big are the bags, Zouave?
Guess I'll have to check out prices around here.
I was afraid you'd ask. Now I have to get up and look! Hold on. . .

I'm back, after having some smoked herring.

16 liters. I would say it is about the same price per liter as regular Carefresh, even though I think it is better than Carefresh, absoring a little better and forming a more even surace on the bottom.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:56 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterangels
Is Kaytee's soft sorbant as good as carefresh ultra?

I've been using carefresh & it gets really expensive. I'm maintaining 2 cages now & will put the piggies together after the male is neutered. (Then I have only one big cage.)
Never used Ultra for GPs. But I assume Soft-Sorbent and Ultra are basically the same high quality; however, the former is in smaller rounder pieces than any Carefresh, which is more lumpy. Since I can get Soft-Sorbent and regular Carefresh for about the same price I will go with the Soft-Sorbent.

BTW, I would use about 6 liters per cage bottom, leaving 4 liters per bag (I open a second bag for a third cage).

Tags
dried pine, food bowl, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, litter box, wood shavings