Cage help...? :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Smile Cage help...? :)

Hi guys, I have a few questions about guinea pig cages.

Just so you know, I'm getting two babies. My science teachers piggy had babies and she said they wouldn't be able to leave until the end of June, I'm guessing they're pretty young.

What I'm wondering is, since they've been together all their lives, I'm pretty positive that it would okay to keep them together, but what size cage should I get? I was looking on petsmart, and thought about this:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3159652

But then thought about the fact that if they're is two, I should get maybe that one, but a rabbit sized one?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3159651

But then, I stumbled upon this:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/

And could make them a cage.

Sooo my question is, what do you think I should do? I'm stuck with all three decisions. Or, do you have any suggestions to a different cage? I just want them to be happy, and I have a feeling that maybe making it would be best, :p.

Thanks everyone!

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:37 AM
I am allergic to maths

I dont think you should get the cage from petsmart, it looks very underfurnished and quite small.
Making a cage is a good idea though, its cheap and easy. Personaly I would keep them in a rabbit hutch/cage, Jess has a nice one for her rabbit. You could try PM'ing her and asking for a picture
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Hello Earthling

I would go with making a cage out of the cubes.

Its pretty easy really.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I don't know too much about guinea pigs, but the one from petsmart looks small to me. If you do make your own, make sure that its nice and escape proof
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Playful Pup

i would definately mage a C&C cage. I have some young piggies and the petco one i bought was just too small, even for them. I made a cube cage and it was SOO easy...go to my photo album and you can see it. They need room to run and play and get away from one another now and again.

PiggieSlave

Abby--> 2 mo's
Molly--> 3 mo's
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

If you go with making a C&C cage, make sure there's some mesh or corrugated plastic to cover at least half the height of the cube! My sister and I just constructed a cage from cubes for our new piggies, and the first thing Merlin did was squeeze out through the holes. -___-; He and his brother are both about 8 weeks old, so they're palm sized.

When I had rabbits, I was told the rule of thumb for space is there should be at least enough space for 4 times each animal's body size in the cage. At minimum.

R.I.P.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:03 PM
is a little "special"

I would go with a cube cage, but you have to be careful- They "updated" the shelving cubes cubes so that they have bigger grids and a curios piggy could potential strangle itself in them.
As for a hutch... That might be a little difficult IMO. You should keep them indoors (Guinea pigs dont do too well outside...) so it would have to be an indoor hutch, and it would have to have a solid bottom that is deep enough to put their bedding in. Most rabbit hutches that they sell at pet stores are even a little on the small side for guinea pigs, so you would have to build your own.
BTW, thanks RodentzRule I can still post a pic if you want LOL.

This is my cage:

Its a tad small since it only has 5 1/2 square feet of space, and 6-7 is preferable, but I cant build my own cage and this was the biggest I could find.

If you do end up just buying a cage, this site has some really nice ones if you look in the rabbit section Its the makers of my cage, but I dont think they sell mine anymore.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Rodentologist

7.5 square feet is what I'd consider the barest minimum for a pair, and closer to 10 is more ideal. I really like the cube cages, and all my piggies live in them. However, if I couldn't build one, I'd buy the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat, because it actually is an ok size for pigs unlike the ones that Petsmart sells.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh, . this was a few months ago. Jess-I<3 your cage though.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

Tags
cages, guinea, pig