Photos! Cage Pictures? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Question Cage Pictures?

Ok well i love piggies and had a guinea pig before and had him in a normal gp petstore cage and i hated it thought it was to small so i gave him free run of the kitchen but now i have other pets i was maybe thinking in a few months time getting another one could someone show me examples of cages you can buy for them that would suit one guinea pig ? i could not make a cage as i am hopeless at it so maybe if you guys could show me pictures of piggy cages that look ok ?
x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

No-one :O aha

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Jird Jostler

Do you have any outdoor grassed room? as my guinea pig is in a two storey hutch with two runs atached ( 3ft by 2ft each.. so overall lawn space = 6 by 2ft) This i bought cheaply from a local petstore.. i cant find any pictures of simalar ones as it was handmade by the store owner.. shop around to get that perfect home.. good luck..

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Rodentologist

I've had a ton of cage configurations!

That's one of the first sets I did, there were 2 3x4 cages next to each other on the floor for 6 pigs total (3 in each cage)

This is more recent. I've got three pigs in the bottom in a 3x4 and 2 on top in a 2x4 (I lost a piggie last year). Now I've taken the computer out, and have another stacked set of 2x3s, in addition to the corner of the ones you can see for foster pigs.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Wow wish i had the room for that type of cage also they don't sell those cubes over here Thanks for the piccys they are fab !!

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:57 AM
Rodentologist

I'm not sure which stores they sold them at over the pond... both of my Scottish friends managed to procure some from somewhere, though! I think Argos is the name of the chain?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

do they poop and pee somewhat less when they have a box of hay? How bad are they with peeing on the fleece?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

They really might have those cubes over there. Look anywhere that they sell cheap shelving or storage. Over here they make these shelves that are made the same way as that kind of cage. You're supposed to be able to link them together anyway you want so that you can have a really wide shelf or a really tall one or whatever, so try looking for that kind of thing instead of just the ones that are made to be cages. I don't have pics but I had a rabbit in that setup and I now have guinea pigs that way. You just get enough boxes of the grid shelves to make enough space. Then you have some decisions to make about the floor covering. I like to put a couple of layers of blanket down with a really big litter pan covering a large area on one end. Then you just dump the litter pan, wash and change out your blankets. They have loads of room and you don't worry about covering it or anything because they can't climb out.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 06:09 AM
Rodentologist

It helps a little with the poop and pee... it mainly catches the hay to keep it off the fleece.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Playful Pup

[quote=Jennicat;512639]I've had a ton of cage configurations!

That's one of the first sets I did, there were 2 3x4 cages next to each other on the floor for 6 pigs total (3 in each cage)

Is that the fleece on the bottem of the cage? How ofter do you have to change it? Will any fleece do..

Adopt a Rodent from a rescue places instead of buying one at a pet store!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Rodentologist

Yep, that's fleece!

What I do is put down 2-3 layers of towels, and then put the fleece on top and fold the edges underneath. The fleece doesn't absorb liquid, it lets the liquid pass through, so the fleece stays dry, and the towels soak up all the pee.

You need to use a polyesther fleece, which is what MOST fleeces are. They do make a cotton fleece, but it's very absorbent, so the pigs will sit in their own pee.

The fleece is definitely a little more work -- I have to vacuum at least once every day, generally twice, but it is easier to change out (in my opinion) than carefresh or shavings.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Playful Pup

what I have been doing is using layers on old newpaper..We get 2 paper a day delievered, I'd like to find something that I can reuse over and over.

Adopt a Rodent from a rescue places instead of buying one at a pet store!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

yeah, I too use any type of paper..tape some ends together so the papers wont go all over the place..and then 3-4 days later..I just roll the paper and poo out into the trash clean the cage and add on the paper..I like the fleece idea..this way the floor is always dry for the piggies...probably more cost effective in the long run as well

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 05:18 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

great cages thinking about getting some of them grids for my guineas just need to find something for a base

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:45 PM
RAT ADDICT

Does anyone else have any cage pictures?
I need some ideas,as I am building a cage from those cubes for some fosters I am taking in this week.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *