can guinea pigs be aggressive? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

can guinea pigs be aggressive?

i like to do 2 things at once so i had my rats out while holding my guinea pig, and one of my rats francis came up to him and i know rats can attack and kill quickly so i was really watching her and holding her so he could smell her and he lounged at her! i was sooo surprized!! she wasnt even looking at him! he also wheeks at them if hes in his cage and normally runs up to the bars. he had met them before (and let them groom him and everything! then the next time lounged at her.) my poor little ratty patty didnt even know what was going on she loves everything and assumes they love her too

He didnt look like he was scared either, just desided he would attack. he was calmly sitting there smelling her then lounged.

he didnt bite her, i had her moved and him pulled back in time i just thout it was odd

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kendalle; 03-20-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Rodentologist

Any animal can be aggressive. But it's not unusual for a prey animal, when confronted with an animal that could potentially injure it seriously to become defensive.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Will It Ever Change?

ditto. every animal has defensive capabilities

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

hmm i guess i knew that but i reallly didnt expect it heh

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Will It Ever Change?

lol it happens, you know better now!!! now dont' you? rabbits, when agressive, have the kicking ability to break a gp's back! i 'think' i've heard of a gp having a broken back while living with only other gp's, but still, like, it's an ANIMAL

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

and here i was really hoping that i could have the rats and the pig out at once so they could run around and play... guess that looks like a no.

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Seeker of Orbs

i usually make it a rule of thumb not to have 2 kinds of animals out at the same time. lol

It was good to safely test it tho, i suppose....just to find out...cuz it does seem like they *could* get along...

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

yea, i thought it would be worth the test sence my gp doesnt have a friend right now, and my rat i was going to let him with loves everything so i figured he was safe with her

It may have been different if they were on the ground sence he wouldnt feel trapped like when i was holding him.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Rodentologist

It probably would have been worse on the ground, quite honestly. In your hands, your guinea pig feels off balanced and scared, and would make a more conservative attack. Guinea pigs that feel more comfortable will tend to display more of those behaviors. That's why they can sometimes be bonded by giving them a bath together -- thinking they're going to die makes them stop thinking about trying to kill their buddy.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

aw now i dont wanna give him a bath ever if the thinks hes going to die.

oh well so they wont play together. meh.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Rodentologist

Not all pigs are afraid of water, but most are. But guinea pigs pretty much always think they're going to die. They're small, fat, tasty, and have very few defenses. Thinking they're always going to die is pretty much their best defense.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Seeker of Orbs

LOL! "small,fat, tasty".,....hehe.
I can think of at least 4 very sharp ( i have scars) defenses.
youch! Them thar teeth can NIP!

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Playful Pup

kendalle,yes guinea pigs can be aggressive at times, they have their moods just as we have ours,i had a female once that casterated a male and i have been bitten once ot twice myself but not very often, most people get bitten while hand feeding guinea pigs by accident, you have to know when to pull your fingers back., hope this helps,wayne
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

A little OT but it goes to interspecies getting along----I have a friend who has, well had, a rat (he died),boston terrier, and two cats. One cat just loved Mr. Ratburn and Mr. Ratburn loved him. My friend would open Mr R's cage and the cat would come running. The two would actually play together. She had to keep the cats food bowl up because the rat would eat it. One day she watched him scale a chair and jump on the table where the cat was eating. The cat made room for the rat and they ate togehter. awwwww. Another time she was looking for the rat and found him grooming the Boston's toenails. awwwww again.

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07

Tags
boston terrier, food bowl, guinea pig