Cavies meet Cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Cavies meet Cat

I have a 2 month old kitten I just got and now that shes comfortable with my apartment, shes found the guinae pigs. I'm watching her sit on the couch just stairing at them. I figure shes examining them to see what they are. Any suggestions on how I can make sure both can live in perfect harmony?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 08:24 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Yea, keep them away from each other.

I would never risk keeping them together.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Do you have a top to your cage?

I wouldn't risk it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 08:25 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I have 5 cats and many guinea pigs. There would have been no way I would have let any of them near my pigs until they had grown up as they are so unpredictable as kittens. They are now grown and I know each and every ones personality, likes and dislikes. I trust them all with my adult guinea pigs, HOWEVER, I will never trust them around guinea pig pups! If they see a small baby running, scurrying, and just plain old popcorning, as they tend to do, my cats go into hunt mode at the drop of a hat.

All of my cages are cat proof, the only time the cats get near them is during lap and floor time and then it is only the adults that I let them near. I still watch the interactions, and most of the time my cats won't even bother them, they have no interest in them. They turn their noses up so to say "oh, it's just those things".

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

my cages are cat proof now. I had them in a bigger cage that my kitten would stick her paw through the bars, and i moved them to individual smaller cages [one may be pregnat] so she can't do that anymore. She used to climb on the window seal to get an areal view, but I put a towel on the top of the cages and she stopped crawling on the window seal. Lack of intrest I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:21 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

There are highly responsible pet caretakers such as crzy4piggers who know what they are doing. But without that level of knowledge, skill, and commitement, cats and rodents should NOT be considered in the same room, that even more so applies to hamsters and such who will eventually escape.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I live in an Apartment so I can't exactly keep them in seperate rooms all the time. They are in cages they can't get out of and don't attempt to. I put a towel over the cages and she seems to be fine with leaving them alone. What she can't see, doesn't hurt her kinda thing.

Tags
guinea pig