Coroplast Question for crzy4piggers - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Question Coroplast Question for crzy4piggers

I was closely reading cavycages.com. I do need bigger habitats.

I am puzzled by the coroplast issue for a habitat bottom. Why do I need this when I can find a thick heavy plastic utility bin of similar size at a hardware store?? I can then put the cube grids tight around it.

Finding and getting coroplast can be so difficult as to be prohibitive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
I live in a Pigdom

How big is that bin you are speaking of? The measurements of where the pigs willl be running around in? The bigger the measurements the better, think of how they like to run.

I know others have found it at Home Depot (it is called corrugated plastic there), I use a sign warehouse and get the damaged pieces (4'X8') for as little as $7. and up to $15.00.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Are you talking about rubbermaid type containers? If so, those aren't nearly big enough.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Seeker of Orbs

we got ours (big enough then some) for our 4x2 cage for like 13$ at a local sign shop...the piece was huge. lol

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Sheeez. That is not the issue.

Let me keep this clear, why do I need "coroplast"?? No one I can find ever heard of it. And the instructions for making the bottom out of it are not fun either.

I can get a heavy plastic (or is it heavy Rubbermaid type stuff. I forget) bin at a hardware store with four inch sides. Don't ask me how big it is as that is not the point (it will obviously be big enough as I am not an idiot).

Let me be clearer. are there concerns about GPs gnawing something other than "coroplast"? And why would they not gnaw "coroplast", or might they?

The current bottom of the big GP cage I have for another pair is not metal (I'm not sure what it is; some type of plastic I guess) and they have never gnawed it.

So why "coroplast" and not an alternative, one easier to find? Or are there acceptable alternatives? If that site stated such and I missed it, sorry.

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

How many pigs do you have? I personally like the chloroplast better one reason being that it's easier to clean. In the petstore cages that Gordy use to be in, the urine would cake to the bottom and there was no getting it off. For whatever reason, that hasn't happened with the choroplast. Have you called places that make signs or sell sign supplies? That's the only place I've found it at. I suppose you could use the rubbermaid containers, provided they offer at least the minimum requirements for the number of pigs you have. I don't think chewing would be an issue. There are several guinea pig rescue places who will locate the supplies and build the cage for you. That's something else to check into.

Quote:
Sheeez. That is not the issue.
What exactly is the issue then?

Quote:
Don't ask me how big it is as that is not the point (it will obviously be big enough as I am not an idiot).
I thought the whole point of this is to give your babies enough living space. This comment in particular pissed me off because we aren't idiots either and we're just trying to help... A friendly reminder, of course.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Seeker of Orbs

oh. sawry.

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I did once upon my beginnings, use bins of the sort as the bottoms to the cages. Once one of my pigs got their toes stuck and ripped her nail off I went to coroplast. Yes it is much easier to clean I agree with that.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchris_28
. . .What exactly is the issue then?

I thought the whole point of this is to give your babies enough living space. This comment in particular pissed me off because we aren't idiots either and we're just trying to help... A friendly reminder, of course.
The issue is WHY COROPLAST and are there simpler cheaper alternatives? What makes coroplast so good? You have attempted to answer that, which was my question.

Then don't piss me off by suggesting I am too dumb to get a proper size habitat. And size was never the initial question anyway, which was about COROPLAST.

That said, let's drop it, smile, and stay friends as we are all trying to do what is best for our piggies.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4piggers
I did once upon my beginnings, use bins of the sort as the bottoms to the cages. Once one of my pigs got their toes stuck and ripped her nail off I went to coroplast. Yes it is much easier to clean I agree with that.
Ohhhh. So it is harder than typical big bins. Interesting about the nail; it must have been really soft stuff. Well, I will ask more about the coroplast; if I can't find a store in the neighborhood that's it as I have no vehicle access. I went looking for the cube things in a big Century 21 dept. store - nope. So I try Target next week.

I don't think cleaning can be that harder, but we shall see. . . if I can't get a larger habitat by next week they will get even more time out of their current place until I do.

Thanks.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 04:33 AM
Adolescent Pup

zouave (you probably know this already!) but you can order the coroplast and cubes as a kit from cavy cages, so if you can't get hold of them, maybe an alternative for you?! I don't have a car either, so I know what you mean.

There was something about those bins mentioned on a site I was looking at recently...I'll try to find the reference for you.

Love Han and her 'babies'! x

3 degus - Basil, Rosie and Mary
3 chinchillas - Betsy, Chewy and Snowy
9 ratties - Mollie, Fudge, Rolo, Flora, Daisy, Blossom, Bailey, Tia and Honey
2 spiny mice - Oscar and Ned
2 Syrian hamsters - Herbert and Tinkerbell
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 05:02 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Then don't piss me off by suggesting I am too dumb to get a proper size habitat.
I don't think that was anybody's intention.

Quote:
That said, let's drop it, smile, and stay friends as we are all trying to do what is best for our piggies.
Sounds good to me.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

A friendly reminder to keep things civil. I see you guys are already working on it, please keep it that way. Thank you.

Rhonda

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

For anyone following this, today I luckily found a new sign store half a mile away. But it is closed on weekends. Anything farther away is prohibitive for me. I check them out next week.

Also next week I go to a Target that is not too far away; if I do not find the cubes the coroplast issue is moot.

Again, more play and "out" time for the GPs until a bigger habitat is prepared.

That's it. Thanks for any advice on the coroplast issue.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, good luck. I'm planning on building my kids a new cage. I have three right now in a 2x4 grid cage and I just aquired another pig so I need more room.

I forgot to mention, the edge of the choroplast are really sharp so be careful. I sliced my finger on it.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
animal rescue, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig rescue