Couple of questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Couple of questions

I just got Apolla and have a few questions.Well just two really.

1.Can I give her a "blankie',like I do with the rats?

2.Can you give me a list of GOOD and BAD foods for piggies?

Thank you.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Flunky Emuhead

It probably wouldn't hurt to give the piggy a blanket, but most likely she'll just stand on it and poo and pee on it... If she doesn't already have a shelter in there you can make a make shift house with some folded cardboard (like from a box)

As for food, besides GP pellets, just about anything fresh they can eat... fresh greens, grass timothy hay, (My pig LOVES apple, I usually give him my core when I'm done) Also carrots are a big thing around here, just make sure you thoroughly wash anything you give her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 happy doggies Luke and Hank

2 Kittehs, Smudge and Phoebe aka Noodle

1 Guinea pig , Radar

1 Hedgie, Newman

3 Degus, Jodi, Wanda, and Mel

1 lovely beta fish "Ian"

Edward the gerbil
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
I just got Apolla and have a few questions.Well just two really.

1.Can I give her a "blankie',like I do with the rats?

2.Can you give me a list of GOOD and BAD foods for piggies?

Thank you.

Yes, a piggie blankie would be fine. Piggies love blankies to cuddle in

a list of good and bad things for piggies to eat and not eat you can find here..
-----> Guinea Lynx :: Diet

Also, use care if feeding celery, which has long strings that can be a choking hazard. If you feed celery chop it up first.
Seeds can be a choking hazard. Stay away from any pellet diets that contain them and remove seeds from apple slices. Its best to throw away the core.

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks guys.
I am gonna see about getting her a blankie.

No,there was no shelter,just the cage,food,dishes and shavings.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:04 PM
is a little "special"

Sunny LOVES her blankie! Im sure Apolla would like one too!
BTW, They go to the bathroom all over it, so you should wash it often.

Piggies need unlimeted timothy hay, and plain pellets is best for them. They need alot of fruits and veggies too.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Flunky Emuhead

hmm, maybe it's just MY piggy who walks on his blankets instead... even when I gave him cardboard boxes he'd knock them over and stand on them.. I finally gave him a "real" plastic pigloo that he uses.

2 happy doggies Luke and Hank

2 Kittehs, Smudge and Phoebe aka Noodle

1 Guinea pig , Radar

1 Hedgie, Newman

3 Degus, Jodi, Wanda, and Mel

1 lovely beta fish "Ian"

Edward the gerbil
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Haha.

My piggie loves blankies. She has a special piggie sack that she loves to snuggle into.
But yeah, they will poo and pee on them even if they love them. Piggies are just....piggies!
Any blankie or piggie sack will need to be washed often.

Lve Never Fails

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thats no problem!
My rats pee all over their blankies too,so I am used to it!

I have another question,how long does it normally take a GP to warm up to someone?

Apolla is used to humans and she lets me pet her and everything.She even got excited today when she seen/heard me getting her food ready.But she will not let me pick her up.
She is used to being handled too and is quite sooky,but I do know she is not used to me yet.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 PM
is a little "special"

It depends on the pig. Lizzie warmed up to us right away, and Ive had Sunny for 6 months and shes still very shy. Piggies never like being picked up, but they love being held, so Apolla probably wont want you to pick her up, but once your acually holding her she'll be more comforatble.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,I see that now! I managed to pick her up and she settled in my arms.She seemed pretty content just sitting there.

I did notice her nails need to be trimmed badly tho.I am kind of afraid to do it myself tho,so I am gonna see if someone can help me.If not,I may have to bring her to the vet to do it.Her nails are curling in,that can't be good!

Oh,I have a few new pics too!

* Lisa *

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yay new pics!!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I will post them in a minute.

So my cousin came over to clip her nails tonight and boy,she squealed like she was being killed! She hated it.Then she squirmed and my cousin clipped the quick.Fortunatly since she is a vet assistant,she carried a first aid kit and had some of that stuff that stops the blood and Apolla was okay.I am just gonna watch it for the night to make sure it is okay.

I hated hearing her squeal like that!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f14/apolla-44862.html

Pics are there.
She is so sweet,she cuddles with me!!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 10:21 PM
is a little "special"

Cute pics!
Its soooo sad when I trim Sunnys nails! She acually wimpers and makes a little pathetic crying sound! Piggies are lil' drama queens.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh I know it!

Drama queens to the max!

They always make you feel guilty with their little squeals! They always act like they are dying!

Lve Never Fails

Tags
cardboard box, cardboard boxes, guinea lynx, timothy hay