crying guinea pig - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy crying guinea pig

Punk always has teary eyes, expecially when he's excited (around the other male piggy). The vet told me it could be a birth defect, but the tears end up getting crusty around the eye. Punk tends to close his eyes sometimes, rather than have the bright open eyes. Have any of you expirienced this with your guinea pig? if so, what did you do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoOmiEz
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Hmmm... if he was checked by the vet and the vet says he's healthy, maybe its from allergies. My bunny's eyes were very teary for awhile and the vet said he was probably allergic to something. Or maybe your piggy does have a birth defect. Did the vet give you anything for his eyes? Does the vet have a lot of experience with gpigs?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 03:29 PM
I live in a Pigdom

I have 30 here at the moment and have never had that problem. It could be allergies, however did he check for a URI while you were there? That is one major indicator of a URI (runny, teary, watery eyes), if the vet is not cavy knowledgeable he may have missed that.

If it is not a URI and he was checked over, it may be allergies and you may have to change something in his environment to make his eyes better.

Actually now that I think of it, the one and only time other than a URI, I have had a pig with teary eyes is when it was injured by a piece of hay.

Good luck and I hope you find out what is bothering Punk.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

yep, the vet gave me eyedrops for Punk...he also was on anti-biotics for URI, he wasn't put on anti-biotics again however because the vet thought it would be too much. now I just have the eyedrops for him. I have another question too: Guinea pigs like cooler enviroments right? around 70 degree's F? How do you keep your home cool, but make sure there isn't any uncomfortable breeze for the guinea pigs?

GoOmiEz

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 11:25 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Well? When it gets humid here and hot, I turn on the air conditioner. The rest of the time when it is not sticky, I just use the fans and no not blowing on them, just in the room. If you have a fan blowing on them they are in a draft and that can cause a URI.

How old is Punk? What antibiotic was he on for his URI? It may have not cleared it up totally, that has been known to happen. If he still has the URI, you really need to stop that.

Do you weigh your pigs weekly? If so keep track of his weight, weight loss is not good. With a sick pig you should weigh daily to keep track of how he is doing. Handling him does not count because you can not detect a 3 ounce difference and that is all it takes for a pig that is heading towards death. I suggest weighing weekly.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

he's gained weight, so theres not a problem with that. He eats a lot of his dry food (pellets) and timothy hay. I give him some red pepper, salad, n' tomato for vitamin C. I didn't write down the name of the anti-biotic he was on, but it was cherry flavored, and he didn't like it at first but eventually he did. The vet checked Punks breathing, and his lungs seem okay. He drinks a lot. o_O
Punk is 4 months old.

GoOmiEz

Last edited by goomiez; 08-14-2004 at 04:36 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 03:58 PM
cab

we use ice packs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomiez
I have another question too: Guinea pigs like cooler enviroments right? around 70 degree's F? How do you keep your home cool, but make sure there isn't any uncomfortable breeze for the guinea pigs?
I use those molded plastic ice packs that they sell to use in a cooler. I got a small one that is shaped with the indents so you can place a can in it instead of the flat one. I stick the pack in the freezer and then when it's solid I wrap it in a small cloth and put it in our guineas cage. He likes to lie against it when it's humid and when he's cooled off he just goes and lays in another part of his cage. Sometimes he just lays in front of it instead of against it especially when it's right out of the freezer since it still gives off the coolness. The ridged one is better then the flat since we don't have to worry that he's getting to cold at once, it's only parts of him that can actually lean against the ridges but he learned quickly how to use them. The first time we had to hold him on our lap and we kept putting it against him and then we put him and the ice pack in his cage and he had no trouble using it after that. In the summer he gets his ice packs and a cotton sheet to sleep on and in the winter he gets a flannel sheet to sleep on. Obviously no ice pack but we still have a wood block in his cage since he likes to have a pillow to lean against.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thats cute...I guess I won't have to worry about it anymore though, its getting cooler now. I love fall!

GoOmiEz

Tags
dry food, guinea pig, timothy hay