eating newspaper - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

eating newspaper

hi
i have newspaper in my guinea pig cage and bedding on top of it. furball my guinea pig keeps eating the newspaper and the cardboard boxes i have for her as hiding areas. is eating too much newspaper and carboard bad for her? and shes is also shedding a lot. theres fur all over most of the stuff i have in the cage =[

thanx

1 RES-Speedy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Guinea pig-Furball
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 frog

2 cats

I ♥ ANIMALS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Does she have unlimited hay to munch on? Soy ink is not harmful to pigs like other ink. You might want to check with your local paper and see what type of ink they use. My pigs nibble on their cardboard houses sometimes too. I don't think it is harmful, as long as its not excessive.

Where did you get your pig from? Have you ever treated her for mites?

Read over this link Guinea Lynx :: Hair Loss It has a lot of good info about hairloss.

Also, I see that she is in a ball. Guinea pigs should not have balls or wheels. Their backs are not like other rodents and it can cause serious damage.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

no she had that ball when she irst came and i didnt noe much about gpigs then =]

she hasnt been treated for mites and i got her from a friend who got her from a farm where they were going to kill the guinea pigs for food.
sometimes the eating is excessive and the newspaper is only black and white ink so i think it wold be safe. she does have alotta hay but she still chews the newspaper and cardboard boxes. =/

thanks for the help =]

1 RES-Speedy

1 Guinea pig-Furball

1 frog

2 cats

I ♥ ANIMALS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 07:34 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Did you read over that link about hairloss?

Does she scratch some? Does she mind being petted?

Was she living outside on this farm?

Sorry for all the questions, im just trying to help with the hairloss.

Im not sure how old you are, but if you could have a parent look over the hairloss page, maybe they could help? If it is a parasite, you need to get her treated.

Glad you don't use that ball. Guinea pigs just are not made for them. They like it best when you give them floor time with hidey house, boxes, pvc tubes to run through.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i read over the link but im still not sure. she does scratch sometimes. she runs away when i want to pick her up but she does let me pet her =] im not sure if she lived outside on the farm but i will ask my friend.
thanks for helping =]

1 RES-Speedy

1 Guinea pig-Furball

1 frog

2 cats

I ♥ ANIMALS!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Rodentologist

If she's alone, her behavior may be a boredom habit. Pigs that are bored tend to get into "trouble", chewing excessively on things, screaming, draining their water bottle, etc.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

=/ her shedding is what prevents me from getting her a friend. my parents are really getting kinda upset that there is fur all over the house. =[

1 RES-Speedy

1 Guinea pig-Furball

1 frog

2 cats

I ♥ ANIMALS!

Tags
cardboard box, cardboard boxes, guinea lynx, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, hair loss