Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  VanillaRat 
#1 ·
If all goes as planned,I should be getting a piggy next week...for those of you who don't know,please go to the "rescue animals" section,you will see the piggy who so desperatly need a better home.

Anyway my question is,how much does a piggy eat a day? I know about hay and veggies and all that,have been doing research off and on for yrs,as I wanted one for so long.But are they little pigs when it comes to eating? Also how much do they chew?

#2 ·
The pigs that I have lived around ate a lot and I'm probably saying that in that they liked to have food. They would squeal whenever someone opened the fridge door. I really wouldn't say that they ate a lot more then a rat. Just remember that you give them things that have vitamin c.

#3 ·
The pigs that I have lived around ate a lot and I'm probably saying that in that they liked to have food. They would squeal whenever someone opened the fridge door. I really wouldn't say that they ate a lot more then a rat. Just remember that you give them things that have vitamin c.

#4 ·
Guinea pigs need an unlimited supply of hay (grass hay if over 6 months old, alfalfa if under 6 months), 1/4-1/8th of a cup of a good quality pellet like Oxbow (unlimited if they're under 6 months old), and 1 cup of vegetables per day. And also a buddy so he won't be lonely. :)

#5 ·
my sister has 2 pigs and hers have a big bowl just a large feeding bowl from the rabbit section of a pet store not a huge dog bowl i mean hehe, they have 1 bowl of food (standard guinea pig mix)and carrots and lettuce everyday and of course fresh water, she is on her 2nd pair her first pair lived until they were 8 years old so she didn't do to badly.

#6 ·
congrats on getting your piggie...im so jealous
how will you house the guy?

#7 ·
http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

When you get food, try to get Oxbow. Make sure that whatever food you get, only has pellets. No seeds or other junk, its not healthy and seeds are a choking hazard for pigs.

Unlimited hay. Oxbow is nice hay.

I cup of veggies a day. On the guinealynx food guide, it tells you what things are okay daily and what should just be giving sparingly as a treat or whatnot.

#8 ·
Thanks guys.

The girl hasn't emailed me back yet...so I dunno when I am supposed to go pick him up.

As for housing,I have a few GP cages here,which I converted into rat cages...but I can easily make them GP cages again! :D

#9 ·
nice...cant wait to see pics of him and the cage..im excited for you!

#10 ·
Skratikans said:
nice...cant wait to see pics of him and the cage..im excited for you!
I am not getting him now...:( The girl who was gonna give him up to me,went and gave him to someone else.

#11 ·
Vanilla_Rat said:
I am not getting him now...:( The girl who was gonna give him up to me,went and gave him to someone else.
that sucks...:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.