feeding jam? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

ive fed that food for years and no guinea pigs have dies from it, i dont see how this has anything to do with feeding jam, i aked for your opinion as i wanted to know if it would cause a problem, reading the first few posts, they said no it would be fine, so i fed it, now later more replyies are saying its bad, what can i do, take it out of him?i do feed him a high quality diet, just becaus ei dont feed him what you are using, doesnt mean its low quality.
i respect what people are saying and your right i did ask for your opinion, but with great respect, i dont have to follow it. i probally wont feed it again but i cant do nothing now.i dont feed him crap, and are very offended by this remark, so out feeding routines may be different, doesnt mean my guinea pigs losing out. i still feed him the right stuff, the vet has said he is healthy and happy and i love him to bits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You sound offended and you should not be. If your not then thats even better
All of us have different opinions and were just doing that...giving our opinions.
No you dont have to follow anyones opinion or anything just like you said. No one said to take it out of him either. Pellets look and taste boring??? is what you said. Did you try them? I bet your piggie would love them...i bet he wouldnt think they taste boring! They contain nutrients and good things for them
You dont have to be upset or anything at all.
Its good you love your piggie to bits and want to ask questions to do what is good for him

Lve Never Fails

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

sorry, i did feel like you were being a little offensive and "telling me off". i dont want to upset anyone, or make my piggy ill, i just want to make my guinea pig happy, by the ways i know how. i like to learn from my own mistakes, but not if that means the life of an animal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i didnt "tell you off"

Im glad you want to do what is best for your piggies..everyone of us is learning..we never know EVERYTHING.

You said "by the way i know how" to make piggie happy.. Well , that may be the case but i always welcome advice cuz i want to learn all i can to make my pets healthy and happy
Im sure thats what you want to.
We all just keep learning. If you ask a question be prepared for opinions. Its up to you what you do with them

Lve Never Fails

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Rodentologist

Ugh, Gerty Guinea Pig. One of the worst foods available on the market for guinea pigs. Full of seeds which are choking hazards and high in fat. You're so concerned about what they would eat "in the wild"? They wouldn't eat seeds in the wild. Those would be a very minimal part of their diet. The majority would be forage (hay), with a small part being vegetables and occasionally fruits of plants. A high quality pellet is also made from hay, not junk like wheat and corn which a "wild" cavy would not eat.

You said that none of your guinea pigs have died from it... have you ever had bloodwork done on them? Checked their blood levels? Had them autopsied after they died?

Gerty Guinea Pig's first ingredient is alfalfa. Alfalfa is terribly high in calcium for an adult pig, although it's fine for babies and pregnant mothers. (High levels of calcium contribute to bladder stones and bladder sludge). Let me tell you, from an internal point of view, it's very easy to tell a guinea pig that has eaten a low quality food. As an added bonus, Gerty contains "ground limestone". Ground up rocks! Very high quality food indeed. The fiber is nearly half what it needs to be, and it has almost double the fat of high quality pellets like Oxbow. Oi.

Last edited by Jennicat; 02-02-2007 at 07:26 PM.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

it isnt the worst foos available, thats your opinion, if its that bad, why do so many people use it?it may be a choking hazard but lots of thing could be, what about small bits of veg, thick stems of hay or a tough pellet? im not "so" concerned about what they eat in the wild as mine isnt a wild pig.they had had no bloodwork done on them and all have dies from age.are you trying to say just feed them hay and veg?wheat and corn isnt junk, its just a little different taste for the cavy, it isnt just plain, boring pellets that look crap.and besides gurty guinea pig food has imporved a lot recently and isnt as bad as it once were, it atall bad.my guinea pig eats only the top quality, no cheap crap.looking on the ingreadient list on the food, it says nothing about limestone/grind up rock. so either you getting confused or lieing.
anyway, why did you bring this up, it has nothing to do with feeding jam, its compleatly unimportant, its a different issue to address you need to.i hate it when im looking at a topic and it goes onto a different subject at the end, just a load of waffle.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 AM

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

This are parts of Scotts First post here...his introduction......

Quote:
im 14 years old and i have lots of pets.
i help out at my local petshop, mainly cleaning and handling the animals but also serving customers and stocking shleves.the petshop i work in keeps the animals well looked after and always keep the animals welfair in mind when selling to a customer.
i would love to become a fully trained vet and are working hard at school to achive this.
i compleatly love animals and much to the annoyance to my parents backbalance, prefer to have the best quality available for them.
i have very strong views about animal keeping and hate to see an animal in pain or being kept in the wrong conditions.
i belive that the reason i keep pets if because i know i can look after them properly and give them the best care and also to geet out what i put in, i make sure all cages are clean, water is a fresh supplie and food is available when nessary, i handly all of them often and make sure each one is healthy and happy.
just thought it was interesting to read again since he is talking about how happy he wants to make his animals and wants them to have the best quality.
If your only 14 then you dont know it all and if you want to become a vet then your still learning (just like the rest of us) and should welcome the good advice your getting here by members.
You said in your intro that you want to give them the best care and look after them properly. You will always find wonderful advice here.

Lve Never Fails

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

was just thinking that maybe since he works in a Petstore he may think that he knows everything.
Maybe thats why he comes off with such an attitude. There are a lot of I, I, I, I's in his posts.

If you want to become a fully trained vet then there are lotz of other people you will have to Listen to eventually...you cant just do things the way you want to. Your way might now always be best.
To be a good vet it takes one that will listen and that takes humblness an humility. So far you havent displayed that here.
I said it before and i will say it again...We all keep learning. Its something good!

This is all friendly advice and not an attack on you..just other pet lovers giving advice which they have also learned about over time. Ultimatly its up to you what to do with it but you will always get many opinions out of concern for the pet especially when you ask questions. Many of us here are eager to share what we have learned. Its a good thing.

Lve Never Fails

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fur_ball
it isnt the worst foos available, thats your opinion, if its that bad, why do so many people use it?it may be a choking hazard but lots of thing could be, what about small bits of veg, thick stems of hay or a tough pellet? im not "so" concerned about what they eat in the wild as mine isnt a wild pig.they had had no bloodwork done on them and all have dies from age.are you trying to say just feed them hay and veg?wheat and corn isnt junk, its just a little different taste for the cavy, it isnt just plain, boring pellets that look crap.and besides gurty guinea pig food has imporved a lot recently and isnt as bad as it once were, it atall bad.my guinea pig eats only the top quality, no cheap crap.looking on the ingreadient list on the food, it says nothing about limestone/grind up rock. so either you getting confused or lieing.
I got the limestone from the ingredients that they list:
Supreme Pet Foods at PETCO
If you click ingredients, you get the list of ingredients for Gerty Guinea Pig:

Dehydrated alfalfa pellets, flaked field peas, flaked corn, whole oats flaked whole wheat, dehulled soybean meal, ground whole wheat, chopped alfalfa hay, corn flour, ground locus bean, wheat middlings, flour, natural flavoring, soy oil, ground limestone, glucose syrup, dicalcium phosphate, linseed oil, ferric oxide, ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, ferrous sulfate, choline chloride, manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, nicotinic acid, copper sulfate, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), thiamine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), folic acid, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, artificial color.

I am not trying to say to feed only hay and vegetables (although we have used that diet for guinea pigs with bladder stones caused by junk pellets that are poorly balanced like Gerty, or other pellet related problems like overweight pigs that have been fed nothing but pellets). I'm sorry if you think it's "boring" for the pigs to eat a plain pellet, but I can assure you that my pigs get all fired up over Oxbow pellets every day, and love the way they taste. And I go out of my way to make sure they have a variety of vegetables, which makes their diet interesting and healthy for them. And I'm not putting unhealthy ingredients into them like wheat and corn. Cavies just aren't designed to process those foods, and corn is full of sugar to boot.

Anywho, whether you change or not, at least now you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnature
was just thinking that maybe since he works in a Petstore he may think that he knows everything.
Maybe thats why he comes off with such an attitude. There are a lot of I, I, I, I's in his posts.
If you want to become a fully trained vet then there are lotz of other people you will have to Listen to eventually...you cant just do things the way you want to. Your way might now always be best. To be a good vet it takes one that will listen and that takes humblness an humility. I said it before and i will say it again...We all keep learning.
Yeah, we get that a lot with pet store employees. They really resist being told things like 3 square feet isn't fine for a guinea pig, or that they need friends, or vegetables, or hay. Because, you know, none of their pigs have died.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks JenniCat for that info above.
See, i said thankyou cuz im grateful i learned something new. I didnt know about some of those ingredients. I know its a good thing and i am willing to learn and apply new ideas for the benefit of my pet.
I never fed my piggie that stuff and now i know to Never feed it! Yuck..i wouldnt eat ground up rocks so surely i wouldnt want my piggie to have it either since it can harm their little piggie bodies.

Lve Never Fails

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnature
Thanks JenniCat for that info above.
See, i said thankyou cuz im grateful i learned something new. I didnt know about some of those ingredients. I know its a good thing and i am willing to learn and apply new ideas for the benefit of my pet.
I never fed my piggie that stuff and now i know to Never feed it! Yuck..i wouldnt eat ground up rocks so surely i wouldnt want my piggie to have it either since it can harm their little piggie bodies.
Hey, no worries! I'm with the local guinea pig rescue, and I love telling people about these little guys! I think the biggest problem is that people don't know how different guinea pigs are from other rodents. While climbing rodents like mice and rats would definitely have more seeds, etc, in their diet, guinea pigs just wouldn't be able to compete with those types of rodents for that type of food.... so they'd get it rarely, if at all.

If they were living "out in the wild", they'd behave much in the same way that a herd of horses would, grazing most of the day with short breaks for napping. Hence, a diet high in fiber and forage, but not so much in carbs
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

i may only be 14, but most of my family has kept pets before and when i was young, teaching me lots of thing, i also learn a lot from the good petshop i help at, i dont think i know it all, and welcome new opinion, but whats worked for me may not work for you.we feed gurty guinea pig food at work and they has been no complaints from customers or staff, we are not just ideots trying to earn money at the weekend, we care about the animals we are selling and want the best for them.i dont have an attitude and sory if it seem that way, i use "i" alot as im talking about what i feel or what ive experienced, i cant really say what other people think etc as i dont know.plus im not that good at english and usally cant think of what else to put apart from i that fits the part.i do want to become a good vet, and i do listen to what people have to say, but when both my boss at work and my local vet says its ok to feed gurty guinea pig food, then i kinda feel annoyed when you are all telling me its wrong and i should switch to pellets.im sorry for calling you a lier, but on the english guinea pig food, it says nothing about rocks, etc.i dont resis being told 3 square feet is enought for a piggy or that they need friends, or vegetables, or hay. Because, you know, none of their pigs have died, as i think they need much more room,need vegs and fruit, and hay.but the friends part is a debatable subject, of which im not going to argue, but my guinea pig was the only one left at the petshop and it has human contact every day from different people.
i agreee that every one can learn something new, and i myself learn lots too, but somethings, i belive are peoples experiences and can work for different people.i like to find things out on my own and decide things on my own without people tell me whats right or wrong in their eyes, i apriceat all the info you have given me, and no, i havent ignored it all, but somethings are too indept to change and i think its pointless getting off on the wrong foot and you all thing im a right pratt from my first post. i like this forum as ive read some good info.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It would be a good idea to ADD pellets to piggies diet . That would be a good idea...veggies, pellets, hay.

Yes you can decide what is right for you on your own but people are gonna give you advice from their experiences also about what is right or wrong in their eyes...thats called an opinion. Take it or leave it along with the attitude. If you ask a question you will get answers and advice along with opinions. Thats how this forum works especially when it comes to us animal lovers
Good to hear you like this forum. Its nice to hear you said you appreciate the info. That is a good attitude Its good to hear that you say you welcome new opinions cuz it didnt seem that way to begin with.
We would love to see pics of your piggie!

Lve Never Fails

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

me not welcoming new opinions at first is compleatly wrong, thats why im trying to say, i listen to what you and other say and then decide whats best. i will honestly look at pellets the next time i go to buy food as the info given seens resonable, but still not certain i will change.( i know about all the mixing with new foods etc.)im soryy if i come on abit of an attutude but i dont mean to, im not the best writer in the world(not making escuses) but sometimes i cant think of anything else to say that sound ok.

Tags
alfalfa hay, animal lover, animal lovers, calcium pantothenate, choline chloride, folic acid, gerty guinea pig, guinea lynx, guinea pig, guinea pig food, guinea pig rescue, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, pet food, pet foods, pet store, pig food, pyridoxine hydrochloride