feeding jam? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

feeding jam?

every morning i feed my guinea pig fresh veg and a bowl of food at night, with lots of hay all day. the veg he gets changes from day to day, brocolii,cucumber, grapes, carrot, and more. but i wondered if jam was possable to feed the them, they can eat strawberries so i asume that strawberry jam would be ok if they liked it, what do you think? is it a good idea, i though for a second that the stickyness could pose a problem? wasnt sure and wanted to check, cheers

fur_ball
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i dont think the stickiness would be the real problem, i think its just way too much sugar to feed to them, and then they will love it and learn to just want sweets and ditch their veggies and become fatter and less healthy, I think better alternatives could be non sweetened strawberry yogurt, this way you will give them a treat and aid in their digestive tract...

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Part of the Pack

I've never tried that before, but im sure mine would love it!

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Im sure they would love it...they love just about anything!

I agree with Skrat though about the sugar. Not good for them at all. They just get too fat too easily. They even say that the yogurt drops that you can get "especially for piggies" at the petstores arent good for them. They have sugar. Sugar free yogurt is a good choice. If they get messy and sticky well then you can have fun giving them a bath afterwards! Thats always fun!

a little taste from your finger once in a great while wont hurt though...,well, only if he nips your finger, ouch..hehe!

Lve Never Fails

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm sure they would love it . If you try it, let us no what happenes
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:01 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Fruits should be a treat only. Not something they get everyday.

I wouldn't feed your pig jam. There is no reason for you to and its not healthy. The same goes with any kind of store bought treats.

I like McDonalds, doesn't mean I should eat it, lol. I know its bad, so I don't.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i only wanted to feed my guinea pig jam as i thought he would like it and like the change, i tried feeding him a bit with my fingers tonight and he loved it, b ut after i gave him some banana and he ate that too, he just eats. i only feed him little bits of veg every day, mostly when i get him out, so he knows that bringing him out to spend time with equals food. i dont always feed him tho.just because theres no reason to feed him jam, doesnt mean you cant, their is no reason to feed him a lot of things he eats but i like to vary his diet, just like i would hate to eat the same foods every day, i like a treat now and again and so does he. he does get lots of hay tho

fur_ball

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Yes there is a reason, its VERY UNHEALTHY. You are only doing him harm by feeding him unhealthy junk.

He should be getting a cup of veggies a day. It IS NEEDED as part of a healthy diet. They DO need hay and they DO need pellets.

Guinea Lynx :: Diet
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i DO feed him hay every day and i DO have clean water every day, i DONT feed him pellets, the look and taste boring. i DO feed him gerty guinea pig food instead as that looks better and probally enjoyed more by my piggy.a little of "junk" food cant be that bad, it isnt going to kill him from just one bloody feed.we all eat junk food and we are alright,i get him out evey day and he has a good run about, he also has lots of activities to do inside his hutch.i just like to treat him, i hate to feed them the same every day, they must be so bored of eating them.

fur_ball

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Guineas should not be fed jam. It is far too high in sugar and preservatives and is extremely unhealthy and unatural.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

lots of foods are unnatural that we feed them to what they would eat in the wild, grass,melon, babana, lots of other fruit and veg etc etc.so i might feed the odd "wrong" food to him now and again in your eyes. its going to do him no harm , i still love him asmuch and wouldn't hurt him.

fur_ball

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

by the way, i used homemade jam we get from the local farmer and its not as high in sugars etc. sorry i forgot to mension it earlier, i never thought of it as important.

fur_ball

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fur_ball
lots of foods are unnatural that we feed them to what they would eat in the wild, grass,melon, babana, lots of other fruit and veg etc etc.so i might feed the odd "wrong" food to him now and again in your eyes. its going to do him no harm , i still love him asmuch and wouldn't hurt him.
why are you even asking for opinions then? You asked so we answered.. there is no need to get upset and defensive because you don't like the opinion we've given
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
i DONT feed him pellets, the look and taste boring. i DO feed him gerty guinea pig food instead as that looks better and probally enjoyed more by my piggy.a little of "junk" food cant be that bad, it isnt going to kill him from just one bloody feed.
He can die from eating what you are feeding him. Gerty food has seeds in it that cause a serious choking hazard. Guinea pigs do not need junk food. Eating Jam could kill your pig. Its not the normal diet and can cause serious stomach issues, including diahrrea which can quickly lead to death.

Junk food is bad for humans, it does cause serious heath problems.

Quote:
You do not own a wild guinea pig. Of course their diets are different. If you loved your guinea pig, you would not feed him crap. You would feed him a high quality diet.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Title Thief Victim

Yea if you ask for an opinon be prepared to hear somthing you dont like..it doesnt have to mean anything to you its just what other people think

Carissasaurus Rex

Tags
alfalfa hay, animal lover, animal lovers, calcium pantothenate, choline chloride, folic acid, gerty guinea pig, guinea lynx, guinea pig, guinea pig food, guinea pig rescue, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, pet food, pet foods, pet store, pig food, pyridoxine hydrochloride