few questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

few questions

I think i am getting a pig tomarrow at a shelter...

And i was wondering about a few things...

Like bedding.. i have carefresh bedding so no worries about cedar.. but i was hoping to get him potty trained, he is 6 months old and i was wondering if it would be best to have a blanket or something on the floor and a litter box with litter in it so its easy to clean up and find all the poos?

and maybe another litter box for his bed like a litter box cut down so its an inch or 2 up from the floor with a pigloo in it with carefresh bedding or would it be best just on the blanket if i go that way...

and toys.. whats your pig's favorite?

and any helpful tips! (i have looked up the basic info and things on bonding and feeding and housing and everything...) just little additional things would be nice

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Yay for adopting!

I haven't had any luck with potty training to any certain area. I have tried the litter pans for the corner which they liked to sleep in as well as pee and poop. I have towels on one level and pine on the lower. They go where ever they please. I even tried hammocks, they sleep and lounge in them and also go in them too Mine are hopeless in that area!

Favorite toys? Mine like the tp rolls and just pushing around their pigloos!

My advice would be to adopt two of them if you have the time and space.

I've Been Frosted!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

there is only one at the shelter his parrents didnt care i guess, they didnt even give him a name. they also have several dogs, 2 cat s and a ferret that they desided to dump at the shelter... Hope mine does better on potty training that yours

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Rodentologist

Guinea pigs, as a general rule, are not very easy to litter train. They're not denning animals, they're grazers, like horses or cattle, so there's no natural impetus for them to pick an area to go in and only go there. But good luck!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Playful Pup

i've tried in the past to litter train guinea pigs with no sucess, hope you have better luck.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

it isnt that big of a deal to me i guess, my rats arent litter trained either i guess neither is my iguana.. whats one more cage to clean alot

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Playful Pup

ya, i have 5 cages to clean ever 4 days.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Adolescent Pup

I can't potty train my pig but he loves big paper bags to play in and lots of hay! He also loves things to hide in and things he can throw around easily. He's constantly rearranging his home and we clean him out every 3-4 days. Hope this helps xXx

Mama to -

Rabbit - Sooty

Big Sister to -
Squinick
//
Twinkle // Kelly
//
Pink-Winged Sticks! // Fishies!

To those we have lost and are forever asleep... we will never forget you and could never replace you, rest in peace
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Part of the Pack

just remember PINE and ceder are extreamly toxic to all small animals, all soft wood shavings are.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

She alrleady got him and is using Carefresh Bedding.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f14/p...p-40141-2.html

She has been checking lotza links ...she is a good piggie mommy
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

im trying!! hes good for watching movies with until he starts making noises hehe all happy whistling noises

I dont use wood at all, i know aspen is consittered ok but i dont want slivers or anything in me or the rodents

[/CENTER]

Tags
carefresh bedding, guinea pig, litter box, litter pan, litter train, litter trained, potty train, potty trained, potty training, wood shavings