A few questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Question A few questions

Hi! I'm new here and I have a few questions.
My family has 2 female guinea pigs, named Anika and Eleanor.
Sometimes when I hold them they start to try to eat my hair. They aren't just chewing on it - they're really trying to eat it. Is this normal? Will it hurt them if they swallow any hair? We try not to let them do it.
Also, do you need any kind of special papers or anything to bring guinea pigs into Canada? We aren't planning on going to Canada until July, and it would be easy to find a piggy-sitter, but I was just wondering.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

I forgot this in my other post - At what age are guinea pigs full grown? Our girls are about 4 months old and they are still a lot smaller than some other pigs I've seen.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 01:02 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Guinea Lynx :: Hair Loss Read over this link. Barbering is normal for some pigs. As far as I know it can't hurt them, but Jennicat could probably answer that better than me.

Here are some good guinea pig resources.

Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home
Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Rodentologist

Agree, to the best of my knowledge, barbering won't hurt them, but I'd still stop them if you could.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Playful Pup

Mine try to eat my hair too lol. It's normal, but might be harmful if it acts like one of those icicle things you get to put on Christmas trees. Try to keep your hair off of your shoulders when you are holding them.

I honestly don't know how old a full-grown is, but I know that 4 months is way not a full-grown.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I HIGHLY recommend
and
for guinea pig lovers.

To help shelter animals, all it takes is a free click:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
I honestly don't know how old a full-grown is, but I know that 4 months is way not a full-grown.
We had heard somewhere that it was 5 months, but I didn't really think so. Ani and Elly are only about 8 or 10 inches long, and we once knew someone with a guinea pig that was almost as long as a cat (not including a tail.) I was looking in another post and I saw somethig about guinea pigs being full grown when they're a year old. Does that sound about right?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I think it's when they are a year old. Smore was only 10 months when his mommy got him. He was much smaller than Ziggy who was labeled as a year old. Now it's about 4 months later and Smore is bigger than Ziggy. I could not believe how much bigger Smore got since I thought at 10 months he would have been pretty much done growing.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Thanks for all the replies!

We had heard somewhere that it was 5 months, but I didn't really think so. Ani and Elly are only about 8 or 10 inches long, and we once knew someone with a guinea pig that was almost as long as a cat (not including a tail.) I was looking in another post and I saw somethig about guinea pigs being full grown when they're a year old. Does that sound about right?
One of my guinea pigs is 8 months old, and isn't full-grown yet. He certainly is fat, though, but not full-grown. It probably depends on genetics how long they will actually grow, just like in humans, but they'll still keep on growing until they reach the full-grown age, whatever that may be.

I HIGHLY recommend
and
for guinea pig lovers.

To help shelter animals, all it takes is a free click:

Tags
guinea lynx, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, guinea pig education, hair loss, male guinea pigs, pig cages