A few questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

A few questions

The piggy that I am taking care of for the week came today. The girls mom will not let her buy a cage other than a 10 gal. and she was in that her whole life. So, I gave her my marchiro cage I had for the rats a while ago. http://www.mgpr.org/MGPR/marchmed.jpg
Marchioro Cages: Deluxe Small Animal Wire Cages at PETCO she was thrilled! All the poor piggy had was a water bottle and food dish, so I made her a house out of an upsidedown cardboard box. Is there anything else I can do for her? Do guiena pigs like hammocks? If so I could wip her up a few in no time. Her nails are very over grown, I assume because she had nothing to grind her them down on. I took her for a walk, including on the driveway to try and file them down. The problem is, they are about the size of the last joint on her toes Anything I can do? Thanks in advance for any help!

~Sarah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hammocks for the spoiled fur friend

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the zoo:
5 gerbils
2 rats
1 frog
2 dogs
too many fish

I see you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awww poor piggy! well let's make her some toys!! lots of upside down boxed made into huts will work. i don't think pigs are big hammockers, but you can make ramps up to floors so it can get around easily. you could put fabric or whatever in a box and give her a cosy nest thing?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Rodentologist

Clip her nails, they don't grind them down against things like dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

When my dad saw her yesterday he got the clippers we use for the dogs nails out. They could only be cut off at the very tips, as the veins grew with them. We will have to wait a little untill they recide a little for them to be cut any shorter.

In the zoo:
5 gerbils
2 rats
1 frog
2 dogs
too many fish

I see you!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

in the future you should also look into perhaps getting her an even larger cage..they thrive with lots of space

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans View Post
in the future you should also look into perhaps getting her an even larger cage..they thrive with lots of space
Its not my guinea pig, I'm just taking care of her while the owner is at the beach. I just decided to move her into the only extra cage I had that was sutable for a guniea pig, and give that cage to the owner when she gets back. If she needs an even bigger cage, the owner will have to pitch that idea to her mom, as she was the one preventing her from going out and getting a cage in the first place. Just helping out a friend.

In the zoo:
5 gerbils
2 rats
1 frog
2 dogs
too many fish

I see you!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

that is sweet of you for giving that poor piggie a bigger nicer cage. I have a friend whom made a pigger hammock and just put it low to the ground so the pig wouldn't get hurt and they loved it.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

That is so wonderful! It's great that she likes her new cage.
I have tried to give the piggies I watch toys but they are not into them. Thier mom has a ball and a stuffed apple in thier cage but I never really saw them play with them. It seemed like they may push them if they got in the way.
I have learned that her piggies LOVE mint. You may want to give her that.
Maybe some wooden popsicle sticks. Ones that are food safe. I save the ones that come in the bag of carmels. My bunnies like those.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Adolescent Pup

I always used a cat nail cutter for my piggers. Be very careful not to cut into the quick, it will bleed alot and may become infected if left alone.

Tags
cardboard box, guinea pig, wire cage, wire cages