A few questions... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
I am allergic to maths

A few questions...

Ok, so ive had my girlies, cream and caramel, for just over a week now. I always do my research before getting new pets but I have a few questions I couldnt find the answer to... 1. I have been handling them since two days after I got them, they run around the cage but I corner them and take them out. They usually just sit on my lap looking scared and refuse to explore. How can I make them more used to being handled and encourage them to play? 2. Today when I had cream out she would sniff my hand then bite it softly but without teeth. Why does she do this? 3. Is it ok to bath them? If so, how? Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 05:45 PM
is a little "special"

Hey!
1. From what Ive found, ALL guinea pigs hate being picked up out of their cage. Ive had Sunny for almost 3 years, and we had Lizzie 2 years before we passed, and theyve never gotten used to being picked up out of their cage, but Sunny has gotten better. Instead of cornering her, I pet her for a little bit so she can get used to me, and then I scoop her up. I think it helps, because she doesnt associate being picked up with being scared in a corner.
And they will be more comfortable with exploring with time. They are still pretty new, and they will be more adventurous when they adjust more to their new surroundings.
2. She is just testing weather or not you are edible! Our pigs always do this, and end up licking your fingers. They must like the salt, LOL!
3. We bathe our piggies once in a while. Baths are great for bonding new piggies too!
We just put ours in the laundry or bath tub, and pour warm water on them with a pitcher type thing. Theres alot of different ways to bathe them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

we bathe ours when needed...maybe once every couple of months. we put about 3 inches of warm water in the tub and the tub is shallower at one end so they can get deeper if they want. make sure you wrap them up in a towel when your done so they don't get a chill. mine like the hairdryer on warm with the diffuser on. they are pretty pampered. divas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

My experiance with piggies (I only ever had 5) is that they are never very cuddly animals and dislike being picked up,they are prey animals and their first instinct is to run.Once you have them out though,they get better...well depends.

My Svenja runs and hates being picked up,but even when I finally do get her...she hates being out.And she hates grooming.The only time she does not run or squirm is in the bath.

Bathing can be done when needed.I bathed mine in the tub with shallow warm water.It seemed to calm my girls down and they sat there and seemed pretty relaxed.I made sure they were dried off good once I took them out too,so they don't get cold.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Newborn Pup

I've found that the key to anything and everything with guinea pigs is food.

A way of making them easier to pick up is to get them used to coming to you. You can do this by sitting next to their cage holding a small piece of veg for them to come and get, repeat this until they come up to your hand almost immediately and then start petting them whilst their still in the cage, eating out of your hand and then progress to picking them up when their more used to you (this helped with my scared/nervous guy). Can't think of any other ways to make it easier if this fails, sorry. One of mine actually likes being chased by a hand when he's in the run and hutch, the silly boy popcorns away from me whilst chittering to himself lol.

When they're on your lap/out of the cage again food is a good way to snap them out of their nervousness of a new experience/place, where you place it they will follow.

Here's a good guinea pig shampoo site ---> Gorgeous Guineas (I can't post links yet, so google that and you should find them), they're all natural, guinea pig specific shampoos that come with instructions, but they amount to pretty much what's been said already about bathing piggies (small warning some guinea pigs are terrified of water, for those kind of guys it's best to avoid bathing as much as possible/spot clean messy/dirty areas).

Crazy Rodent Lady of the future here to steals you knowledge for my own mwahaha

My zoo currently contains...

x2 Gwyn and Eofor
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
I am allergic to maths

UPDATE: Its been two weeks now and ive noticed some hopefully posotive changes. My pigs still dont like being picked up out of the cage but they dont mind me putting my hand in or watching them wheras they used to run straight to their box. Theyre still not good with exploring but they dont just sit there, they move occasionally. They, for some reason, vibrate often when I stroke them, this worries me, has anyone got any idea why? When I stroke caramels back she makes a sort of rrrrrr sound? Cream chirps and pushes herself against me, so i take this to me mean she likes being stroked I am glad they have started 'talking' to me though. Thanks for everyones help so far Jess, thanks for your info, my hamster nibbles me like this too, so cute!
JoJo, I tried this the other day and Cream just LOVES the hairdyrer.
Vanillarat, Svenja sounds like a little menace just like caramel , BethV, my gineaus refused to be bribed with food Thanks for the tip about the shampoo, I have checked it out and I may get some
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:08 PM
is a little "special"

"Rumbling" is them saying that they dont like something. It sounds like Caramel is being a little anti-social LOL! Dont worry, she'll warm up to ya soon

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:39 PM
the rodent lover<3

When Bucko was alive, he used to love baths. He livied 4 years strong and hated being picked up. He'd fidget alot. But he was no shy piggy! THey're not really cuddly but you can sit them in your lap and pet them

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
I am allergic to maths

Thanks jess, I didnt know that but I guessed so because she would pull away when I did. I know they arent the most cuddly of creatures but I love them because they are quite intellgent and have their own personalitys
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:45 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
Thanks jess, I didnt know that but I guessed so because she would pull away when I did. I know they arent the most cuddly of creatures but I love them because they are quite intellgent and have their own personalitys
Intelligent? Guess nobody told my piggies they were smart! They don't seem very smart to me! Sorry,it is mean I know...but all of the pigs I ever had were not too smart and only cared about food.

But it is true,pigs are usually not cuddly animals.
My very first piggy ever (Apolla) was as cuddly as a pig could get and actually liked me carrying her around and would watch TV with me.The pigs I had since her though,well non of them are/were cuddly animals.

I guess it depends on the individual piggy.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
I am allergic to maths

Hehe, I know they dont SEEM smart on the outside but deep down... I mean they are clever, as rodents go, in that they learn their names and tricks and things like that wich with hamsters and gerbils and mice is nearly impossible
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:51 PM
is a little "special"

LMAO! I love my piggies to death, but sometimes I have to wonder if there is anything at all between their wittle ears! Theyve done some pretty weird/dumb things LOL... But thats why we love 'em!
All 3 of my pigs loved being snuggled. Theyll sit with you as long as you let them

Tags
caramel, cream, nibble