Fungal Infections - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Fungus Mungus Rep

Is he on griseofulvin? Reuben was prescribed that this time around. I have read both good and bad about it, but trust this vet. What would a maintenance dose be like? Or do you mean of foot cream or something. Yeah, a support group wouldnt be a bad Idea. Hey, what a about a GP Fungal Infection support Thread right here? We could compare notes and at least just vent to each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Newborn Pup

No, not griseofulvin. I've read about that one and talked to our vet about it. Personally, I'd be worried about using that one. If there were no alternatives, and the infection wouldn't clear, of course, I'd consider it. However, we feel we have found an alternative, safe medication that has worked.

LR is on The Program (Lufenuron). It is not made for GP's--nothing is, though. It's used it in cats. It does absolutely nothing to mammals or any of their cells. So it's safe, safe, safe (we believe, anyway). The Program prevents chitin formation. Mammals don't have chitins. Fleas and Funguses do; the chitin is an integral part of their cells.

The Program has been the only thing that has ever completely cleared up LR. Yes, we use Miconozole topical on the affected area, and we also bathe him with Chlorhexiderm to reduce the fungal population. But The Program is what has always made the fungus go away. The thing is, that about a month after we stop using it, LR gets a fungal infection again. He seems to have a reduced immunity to what the other pigs, and most humans, can handle.

So as soon as LR is all clear from his current outbreak, we will give him a monthly dose of The Program--most likely for the rest of his life. And I hope that means much less frequent baths for him--even though it makes for such cute photographs
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Fungus Mungus Rep

Cool. Is this something a lot of guinea pig vets are trying now or has it been around a while? I wonder if the vet Reuben saw has heard of it for treating pigs.

I was considering trying to mix up the essential oils for fungal infestations that Peter Gurney mentions on his site. For the herbal remedies for stones apparently helped Sidney.
He says:
Quote:
I always use my formula of essential oils to treat this condition which seldom fails to deal with it. The oils are tea tree, lemon grass, patchouli, and lavender at a nine to one ratio with a carrier oil, ie, ten ml of the essential oils to one hundred of carrier oil.
And then goes on to explain how to apply etc. My boyfriend is a massage therapist and certified aroma therapist as well, and he tells me Lavender can help heal many skin problems. So maybe there is something to the claim that this works. I dunno.

Oh, I wanted to ask did Little Rickie ever have any swelling associated with his fungal problems? Reuben had swollen ankles this last time but the swelling has quickly receded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I did the Peter G. Oil treatment. It worked great for spots on Sundrahs back and rear (fleashy areas) , but I had no luck at all with it on feet and legs, which all 4 have it on their inside front legs and paw.
I just did 7 weeks of griseofulvin on Sundrah, at first it looked like it was working and I put others on it too. Than by the end of 7th week she had a terrible fungus outbreak and all my others also on the griseofulvin for 3 weeks were flaring up too. None got sick from it.
Now I just gave all 6 (not Gertie) the program. Got myself a much better vet and she also consulted with another Exotic vet about using the program and dosages. This is suppose to be the best treatment when topicals don't work. That Clorhexaderm shampoo is really great, I notice a big difference using that also.
I'm crossing my fingers this will be it.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Tex - when sundrahs and Cassias fungus flare -the feet swell up and in Sundrahs case can get red and sore.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Fungus Mungus Rep

Ok, didnt find anything so I guess I will write here for now. Thanks for letting me know about Cassia's and Sundrah's feet swelling. Although I'm sad that any of our pigs have to endure the soreness, It's comforting to know Reuben isnt the only one with swollen feet from it. The vet said is isnt common, but not unheard of.

Can someone email me detailed info, or a link to info on the program as used on Guinea Pigs so I can take info in to the vet if this course of medication does not do the trick. Or even send me an e-mail I can give my vet to contact one of your vets? Thanks.

I suppose we will go ahead with this treatment as long as its already prescribed and Reuben is improving and isnt having any problems with it. But I'd definately like to try the program if this doesnt kick it in the butt.

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 07:29 PM
Newborn Pup

I can't find a Fungal Club thread, so I'll post here. Erin, where is it?

I had been watching LR closely since the last Lufenuron (Program) dose (I've realized that dose was 2 1/2 months ago). His fungus has been "threatening" an onset for about two weeks now. I'm telling you that the day before the fungus TOOK OVER his foot, it looked like barely anything--a bit dry, a bit flaky, but with fur. When this stuff takes off, it really moves FAST. For that reason, I, personally would not try any "alternative" methods. Fungus can spread quickly and can kill them.

The day it took over, LR's worst foot swelled noticeably (and seemed hot, too), just as it had the last time it was on his foot. There were horrible crusties to scrub off, too. I mean it--the day before it was nothing like this. My vet was out that day and so we had to wait one day to refill the Lufenuron. I washed his paws with the Chlorhexiderm and then rubbed in some Miconozole. By that evening and even the next day, the swelling was down and no new crusts had formed.

It is good to know that even though they don't work to completely clear it up, the Chlorhex. and the Miconozole at least alleviate some of their pain.

Tex, no, I know of nowhere where you can find written info for The Program's use on guinea pigs. It has been tested on cats only. This is not uncommon. Nothing out there is tested on guinea pigs which is why guinea pig vets need to be so creative. I recall that my vet called other vets to consult with regarding the use of The Program in gps. I'd be willing to give you her name and number.

One of the most useful things I've learned with this recent outbreak is that The Program is available over-the-counter. My vet charges $51 for the box of 6 doses. But my vet's pharmacy will match any price--and they did! I got it for $27!
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Erin

This thread was split off of another, hopefully to make finding information on treating fungal infections on Guinea Pigs a little easier. To view the thread where some posts came from originally, please see- http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...threadid=11436

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Fungus Mungus Rep

Whoa, I just barely caught the new thread link before I posted my reply.

Where can I find the program to puchase it?

Thanks for the notes about how quickly it appeared. I had been feeling very guilty for not being vigilant enough in foot inspections and for becoming too complacent with his previous healing. Thinking it wouldnt come back. Support groups do help.

You can email or pm me with the info, and thanks much for it. I havent checked PMs yet since earlier, but will soon.

Reuben has the shampoo and cream. Now I need to decide what to do about the griseofulvin VS program. I should inform the vet if I try something else. She will probably be ok with it, but want as much info as I can give her. I just have difficulty deciding this on my own. I feel worried either way and dont know why.

But Reuben is doing great right now, so far. At least I have that comfort. He just ran up his ramp to his pellet bowl as I typed the last sentence. So I know he's feeling better too.

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Fungus Mungus Rep

Oh, and thanks Erin for starting us a thread with our previous posts in it. It will be helpful I am sure.

post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Erin

You're welcome, I hope it makes it easier now and for anyone looking in the future. Not that the picture of LR isn't cute as can be, but it's nice to have the "fungus" title up there for search purpose Doing my best here! lol

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 07:31 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I guess it's your decision about what drug to use, but I have heard of people having remarkable results with the use of griseofulvin. I was very disappointed with it though. Sometimes I think it was because they didn't have enough fat in their system to make the griseofulvin work correctly. Program also needs fat to work properly but at least you only have to use the program once a month for 4 months(in my case). I had to make a few of mine drink flaxseed oil , the others would eat sunflower seeds and hulled nut balls for birds.

Question: How long would you say you see total recovery when using the program?
I still see a little bit of fungus on my girls.
I want to dose Cassia and Sundrah again because I'm afraid I didn't get it all in the first time with the larger 3cc syringe.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 07:35 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

program can be found at this web site:
http://www.fleas-go.com/flea-control/flea-control.html

I paid 165$ for my Program from vet- that's before lilyGrace told me about this site. Now I know where to get it next time.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Fungus Mungus Rep

Thanks for the link. Wow, that's a big price difference. Is it the same amount of product that the vet sold you for so much?
Oh, And were those shelled seeds?

I am still considering my options here. I dont know why this is such a dilemma for me. But I really have a tough time with such decisions sometimes.

Reuben is still doing great so far though. Except he's getting so spoiled! He begged for a treat last night and this morning after being held, and had the gall to complain that it wasnt the treat he wanted. "Half a baby carrot?! You've got to be kidding."

The one last night was after applying his cream and giving his medicine, so since he'd been so good, I gave in and got him a small piece of lettuce and he was happy. So Sienna ate his carrot and hers. But today when he complained about the strawberries I'd given him I said "Hush and eat your strawberry, you can't have EVERYthing."

But I have a question of curiosity... how can a flea medicine do so much to help cure fungus? Is it just one of those beneficial side effects, or is there something in there that does it? Just curious how it works because science fascinates me.

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 02:00 PM

I don't own guinea pigs, but I have chinchillas with ringworm right now and we are using grufulvin-v (griseofulvin) fungus does have to be treated internally to actually kill it, shampoos and creams work fine for the external fungus but it will flare up again without a oral med.

As for Program I don't know about it, I had heard of another person using it to treat ringworm on their chinchilla that person had to later use the grifulvin to completley get rid of it. My vet says to look out for atleast 6 months of treatment for infected animals.

Tags
cage cleaning, dust bath, exotic vet, guinea pig, sunflower seeds, wood shavings