Getting Another Guinea Pig? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Getting Another Guinea Pig?

I recently got another guinea pig (like a month ago). I'm still not postitive about its sex, but im looking up more sites at the moment to see if what it is. But I was wondering the best way to introduce another? Of course I will get the same sex once I figure out what mine is. I don't want mine to get lonely, and he/she looks really bored. He/she never comes out of his box unless hes eating. It also is really "spooky". Any advice?

Mommy of:
Ollie: Rescued orange kitty.
Noah: 10ish year old gray kitty.
Sadie: 8ish year old Jack Russell.
Vito: 2ish year old Guinea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Title Thief Victim

Id start by taking them both out of the cage..on the floor , so they arnt in each other home..let them meet and play see how it goes from there..if the first time dont work..try again..it may take a few times.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Rodentologist

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

That has one of the best guinea pig introduction guides around. I think that getting your pig a friend would be a wonderful thing to do. Guinea pigs are very social animals, and do very well in pairs and groups. I would encourage you to double and even triple check the sex of your piggie before finding a friend, though, as there are lots of homeless guinea pigs, and accidental litters just add to the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 11:26 AM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

Second Piggy

Male guinea pigs tend to fight unless they are introduced at a young age, so be careful there. Females tend to accept each other easier.

Your piggy is being normal by hiding - the way to break that is to - get the pig to trust. That's easy - take them out, be sure to support his little butt. Put him on your lap, and pet him, and talk softly. Do this every day, and add more time each day. Give him floor time, sit on the floor, and let him run around and play. Call him, and if he comes give him a treat.

Do you give your piggy a daily salad? Try hand feeding him instead of in a salad bowl.

Pigs are the sweetest gentlest little creatures, and they thrive on attention and affection.

Hope this helps.

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas
Male guinea pigs tend to fight unless they are introduced at a young age, so be careful there. Females tend to accept each other easier.
I find that to be a relatively common misconception. In my experience, males do tend to fight more, but mostly because 99% of pet store cages are way too small for two males to cohabitate in with any comfort. I have four males (one intact) and two spayed females living in one cage together, and I have very few problems. The males were all introduced together at the age of between 1.5 years and 3 years old.

Also, in the rescue, we tend to get a lot of older, lone male pigs who we generally succesfully introduce to a partner. Again, I personally feel like the size of the cage is a major factor in pairing males. Females are less likely to squabble over territory, but it can also happen with them, especially when one or both are in heat.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Playful Pup

If ur not sure on sex this is a gd link to help u find out
http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm
Good luck with them, ive just got my self 2 unwanted females from some irrisponsible person who had them a day and decided they no longer wanted them - they were really shy at first and kept hiding away in their house. They wernt even coming out to eat, only the more bold one but not very often, i took their bed out and they came out of their shell right away, they havnt stopped eating since and are just getting used to the noises.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:10 PM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

I've had pigs for a lot of years - all rescues except Herbie & Scooter. Even as babies those guys fought. Tried again after they were neutered, and no luck. And this was during floor time - not in a cage.

Right now I'm trying to introduce two of my girls. Patches is about 5 years old and is handicapped. She was born with a crooked head, and tends to run in circles when she's excited. Her sister died 2 weeks ago, and she's never been alone. Annie is young, and she's from the hidden back room at Petco. The one with free pets. When I asked what they had and was told guinea pig like it was dirt, I asked to see her. Her nails looked like howard hughs! So she came home - and she's been doing great. They met last week during floor time and did ok - we'll just go slowly.

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:53 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Did you ever figure out the sex of your pigs? Don't put them together unless you know for sure!

The link Jennicat gave you is really helpful. As for boys not getting along, I know a lot of people that have at least 2 boys together if not more. Most of them actually have more than 2. Just make sure you have a big cage and double up on your food bowls, water bottles, etc. and you really shouldn't have an issue.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas
I've had pigs for a lot of years - all rescues except Herbie & Scooter. Even as babies those guys fought. Tried again after they were neutered, and no luck. And this was during floor time - not in a cage.

Right now I'm trying to introduce two of my girls. Patches is about 5 years old and is handicapped. She was born with a crooked head, and tends to run in circles when she's excited. Her sister died 2 weeks ago, and she's never been alone. Annie is young, and she's from the hidden back room at Petco. The one with free pets. When I asked what they had and was told guinea pig like it was dirt, I asked to see her. Her nails looked like howard hughs! So she came home - and she's been doing great. They met last week during floor time and did ok - we'll just go slowly.

aww, that is such a sad story, im glad you took her in

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Newborn Pup

Hi there Polar Pony. I sexed my own guinea pig after I did some research from some profesional breeders. I was told mine was a girl, but then when I sexed him myself I found out he was a boy.

When you look at the genetals. A girls usually look like a y shape. The males usualy look like a y shape with a donut(ring) around it. You may notice the back of the males by their bums that it is bulgy or puffy a bit. This is their testicles. Also if you push gently above the donut shape on their abdomin a boys penis will protrude. That is how I found out my girl was a boy. Of course the breeder did say that these tests are easier to do when the piggie is not still a baby, I believe they said past two or three months, because they aren't developed yet so there is nothing to see yet. My piggie was 4 months when I did the test. Be very gentle so you don't hurt them.

Hope this helps!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks everyone. I looked after reading this and i'm beginning to feel that it is a female. Since I bought her at a petstore, they had no idea how old they were. I'm not even going to guess because I will probably be wrong, lol. I will update again if I find out for sure. She has grown a lot since I first got her.

Mommy of:
Ollie: Rescued orange kitty.
Noah: 10ish year old gray kitty.
Sadie: 8ish year old Jack Russell.
Vito: 2ish year old Guinea

Tags
food bowl, food bowls, guinea pig, male guinea pigs, pet store, social animals