getting a buddy.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

Red face getting a buddy....

hey, as spring gets closer, we're looking to get hagrid a buddy- can you guys help me know what to do? i mean....how to prepare hagrid and the other pig? i've heard about having them seperate for a few wheeks....or is that not if they're from llike a rescue?
and someone said after handeling the new one you basiclly have to change/wash yourself... why?

any tips would be great!

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

i never let them separeted for weeks,i just hold both on my lap,let them smell each other and that's everything,my pigs NEVER had a fight in years!! good luck

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:56 PM
I live in a Pigdom

For introductions have a towel handy "just in case" you have to break up a fight. Fights are not always the rule, but rumbling and chattering could be a part of introductions. It all depends on Hagrids and the new pigs temperments, all piggies have their own unique temperment. It would be easier on Hagrid if you did get him a young (baby) same sexed even; guinea pig as his buddy, as they are easier to introduce to one another.

The reason for quarantine is because a new pig could in essence bring into your herd mites and illnesses (URI). Quarantining a pig for 3 wheeks should show if anything is going to rear it's ugly head up. Quarantine should be done in another room behind a closed door as URI's are airborne.

Mites would be the reason for using good husbandry and washing after handling them, they can travel on your clothes, hands, and arms (if arms are uncovered) if you handle Hagrid they would travel onto him and he would be infested with mites. I have a button up shirt I put on over my shirt so when handling mitey or new pigs that are in quarantine I just use that as a smock and take it off when done handling mitey or new pig in quarantine. Mites on pigs can flare up just because the pig traveled in a car, a pig gets stressed and the mites flare up.

It is always wise to quarantine any new animal that you are bringing into your home so not to get the resident animals ill, even from rescues (traveling could flare up mites).

That is my 2 cents and it's saved me money in the long run.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4piggers
For introductions have a towel handy "just in case" you have to break up a fight. Fights are not always the rule, but rumbling and chattering could be a part of introductions. It all depends on Hagrids and the new pigs temperments, all piggies have their own unique temperment. It would be easier on Hagrid if you did get him a young (baby) same sexed even; guinea pig as his buddy, as they are easier to introduce to one another.

The reason for quarantine is because a new pig could in essence bring into your herd mites and illnesses (URI). Quarantining a pig for 3 wheeks should show if anything is going to rear it's ugly head up. Quarantine should be done in another room behind a closed door as URI's are airborne.

Mites would be the reason for using good husbandry and washing after handling them, they can travel on your clothes, hands, and arms (if arms are uncovered) if you handle Hagrid they would travel onto him and he would be infested with mites. I have a button up shirt I put on over my shirt so when handling mitey or new pigs that are in quarantine I just use that as a smock and take it off when done handling mitey or new pig in quarantine. Mites on pigs can flare up just because the pig traveled in a car, a pig gets stressed and the mites flare up.

It is always wise to quarantine any new animal that you are bringing into your home so not to get the resident animals ill, even from rescues (traveling could flare up mites).

That is my 2 cents and it's saved me money in the long run.
I totally agree with everything above and its great advice as its always better to be safe then sorry when introducing any new pet especially when its piggies

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

and they can share Hagrids CnC cage, yes? It won't be haggy's "teritory"? or will it.

thanks you guys! we really appreciate it!

~beth

thank you!--->

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Once introduced yes they can share the same cage if they get along.

I also forgot one more reason to quarantine. I just got in a rescue (24 pigs) and they all (including the babies) have lice. Not something you want your resident pig to get.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:31 AM
Playful Pup

When we got our second pet cavy, our established houshold cavy didn't want to know anything about the new friend at all! We let them sort it out theirself and allthough they did squeak and wheek here and there in their cage, it stopped within a few days. We did watch them however.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

A few years ago I didn't wait very long before having new pigs live with pigs I already had, just plain impatience. I paid dearly and ALL my pigs got fungas or ring worm from the new ones. It took almost a year before I got rid of the problem (not to mention a lot of money). I was lucky I had only 6 pigs total cause if I had 10 or 20 it would of killed me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

hey there, more question about getting Hagrid a buddy....this time more temperment/age related.....

He's still learning, a bit "fershnikity"...thinks he's a bad boy,lol, so should i get a baby or one his own ager or older...

if i got a baby, would it copy his bad habits?

and would an older pig put him in his place?

Or does it just not matter and i should get whatever? LOL

thanks

~beth

thank you!--->

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 06:24 PM
still waiting for a title

I got Patrick and Jack both when they were very young, and one reason why you should prepare yourself for additional cage space is that they both might be bratty like mine. Patrick and Jack do fine with their rooms attached, but when they are together, they will fight, believe it or not because they both want to dominate.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

thats a good point.

altho, he hears...birds i guess.... and starts wheeeekking and running around looking. and i will say, the birds he is hearing sound just like piggies.

hes so hard to read sometimes.

~beth

thank you!--->

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:32 PM
I live in a Pigdom

It is "easier" to intorduce a baby male to an adult male, as they are not going through the hormomal stage together.

There still could be fights, so the towel on hand is helpful, but the baby won't want to assert himself in the new situation as an adult would and then Hagrid could get mighty feisty about that.

Adopt a pet today!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:53 PM
still waiting for a title

I agree with crazy because both Patrick and Jack went through mostly everything together. They are rather close together. So they challenged eachother alot because their hormones.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline

Tags
guinea pig