getting guinea pigs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question getting guinea pigs

i'm getting two guinea pigs ( both female ) in 1 week- they will have an outdoor cage ( 3 foot ) but it will have a ramp leading to a play area ( protected by wire mesh ).

i was wondering if anyone could help me with tips on how to tame them.

guinea
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:40 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I just rescued (four days ago) two three year olds, and I talk to them all the tme, never startle them, and offer them treats. Lily, the female is clearly calming down, but Chip, the neutered male, is still nervous. I think they will calm down.

How cold can it get outside before it gets TOO cold for a guinea pig??
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i was told you can leave guinea pigs outside no matter what (even in snow) but they will have plenty of hay to kep them warm and we are putting blinds on the cages

guinea
pig
cute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thanks for your help!

guinea
pig
cute
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:27 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinea pig cute
i was told you can leave guinea pigs outside no matter what (even in snow). . .
I strongly advice you to please check on that with some GP books, and asking vets or pet store managers and such.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:42 AM
I live in a Pigdom

Who told you it was ok to leave guinea pigs out in the snow? That is not acceptable. Guinea pigs should not be kept in temperatures lower than 65F. Obviously to have snow on the ground that means the temperatures are way lower than the acceptable minimum. You will be looking at lots of vet bills if you think keeping them out in the cold is ok.

Guinea pigs should be kept indoors on solid bottomed cages with bedding. The cages should be big enough for the pig to thrive. One place to check for requirements on cages big enough for the guinea pig is www.cavycages.com also the cages there are cheaper to make than the smaller store bought ones.

Please do not keep your guinea pigs outdoors. Start reading everything you can about them on the internet, there is a lot of useful information out there if you are willing to look for it.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree guinea pigs should never be left outside in the snow, if you want them to live outside make it temporary like for the summer months and bring them in once it starts to get cold at night! Your cage though sounds ok for them in the summer but in winter its ideal if you keep them inside that its off the floor so it keeps them warmer. Your cage sounds very simular to the one i built for mine except i have a ramp leading down to another floor instead of them being on the ground!

Goodluck with them

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

on taking everyone's advice we are going to have an outdoor cage for summer and an indoor cage for winter

thanks

guinea
pig
cute
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Seeker of Orbs

this may be a silly question, but have any of you made one of those cages from CavyCages?

my husband wants to, but we're under slight financial "ouchy"s right now.....

are they easy to do? could one be made for around 40-50$?

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I designed and made my own, which is quite simple if you know exactly what you want in a cage and then you can make it as to a size to suit you and usually better made than a shop brought one. I made my on a budget and woods quite cheap to buy in bulk from a wood yard so i'd say you could do it on a tight budget

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
guinea pig, neutered male, pet store, wire mesh