Getting a piggy: Breeder or Store? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Exclamation Getting a piggy: Breeder or Store?

My parents have recently given me the 'ok' to get a guinea pig on Feb. 1st, and I want to know where i can get one in good shape.

Our local animal shelter doesn't have any Guinea pigs, and I'm weary about getting one from "PetsUnlimited" because the two rodent we got their on separate occasions died of heart failure (the hamster) and a skin disease (the mouse, who unfortunately died the night before her vet appointment). Also the mouse came with a complimentary hidden infection of ringworm which i later caught off her. Also, when I bought my chinchilla, he was still under weight, and wasn't even out on show (we only got him because they knew us personally and new he'd be fine) and was being carried around by workers to nurse him as he was pulled from his mama too soon.

I live in Newfoundland, and am wondering if there's a Guinea pig breeder in the province, or should i buy from a store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Part of the Pack

i would look for a breeder, if you can't find any in need of rescue. sounds like your pet store isn't very good, and supporting them by buying their critters isn't the best idea. If you find a breeder, see if they'll give you a tour of the place so you can see the conditions that the animals are kept in.
oh, and you are only getting one piggy? They are really social, and work better in pairs than by themselves...

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 05:21 AM
Rodentologist

Personally, I wouldn't do either. I would wait until someone was rehoming one. Anywhere there's a pet store and breeders, there are people who are looking for new homes for pigs.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Personally, I wouldn't do either. I would wait until someone was rehoming one. Anywhere there's a pet store and breeders, there are people who are looking for new homes for pigs.

I know, I'd much rather rescue one in need, but my City only has 2 shelters, and neither have had piggys in the last 2 years.
I also just found out that when my cousins got theirs, they were from someone who unwittingly bought a pregnant sow, so I'll look around for any in the same situation.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwaynowhere View Post
i would look for a breeder, if you can't find any in need of rescue. sounds like your pet store isn't very good, and supporting them by buying their critters isn't the best idea. If you find a breeder, see if they'll give you a tour of the place so you can see the conditions that the animals are kept in.
oh, and you are only getting one piggy? They are really social, and work better in pairs than by themselves...
Ya, I don't think I'll go back for anything other than supplies.
And yes, I have to get a single one. I know they like to be social and having two would be ideal, but my father would never allow it. Plus, I have lots of experience dealing with single social animals (mice and chinchilla) Someone is always home and will undoubtedly play with it all the time, and any animal I've ever had spends a good 7/8 of it's time here out of it's cage (even if i was only babysitting) so It should be fine. however if the animal seems unhappy after a month here, i will get a companion for it whether dad approves or not ^_^ I just can't have an unhappy animal. and i've had animals since i was born, so 17 years is pretty good to recognize if they're unhappy. Plus whatever the animal, they always get their vet check-ups.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Newborn Pup

Well, I certainly wouldn't give the store any more of your business!

I agree with the shelter idea... there are so many guinea pigs that seem to be in homes these days that people don't want. Can you check newspaper listings or anything to be sure? A breeder would ensure you a healthy pig, but it would be nice to get one off the streets and into a home as a first priority. For some people, however, this just isn't an option... but the pet store should be last on the totem pole
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongClaws View Post
I know, I'd much rather rescue one in need, but my City only has 2 shelters, and neither have had piggys in the last 2 years.
I also just found out that when my cousins got theirs, they were from someone who unwittingly bought a pregnant sow, so I'll look around for any in the same situation.

There are places besides the shelter to check. Even though our shelters typically don't have pigs for long (since they adopt them out cheaply and with basically no care requirements), people are constantly giving away guinea pigs on craigslist because they dont' have time or their kids stopped taking care of them. Places like that are excellent spots to look for homeless piggies.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hey welcome to the forum !

There are a few of us here from St johns. Although im not sure about where you can find a breeder, there is a thread somewhere here that Vanilla_Rat had found one in the St johns Area, cuz she is trying to find a friend for her Guinea pig rescue girl.

Here is the Thread ( found it) http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f14/f...lla-45373.html

I'm sure if you PM her she will be able to give you the details =)

Korali

Mommy to 4 Cute Rats ! Mela, Snugglebutt, Piglet and Froggy

And one Fat Cat, Boo !!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 09:25 PM
RAT ADDICT

First off..."Death Unlimited" is a horrible place and I would not even buy supplies there! You are only giving them more money and supporting their cruel-ness.I have alot of issues with that store.But thats a whole different topic!

I live in St.Johns too (as you know now) and well if you look in "The Buy & Sell" or on "Blue Kaffee" there are always people trying to rehome guinea pigs.Try those two places.I would try them first really.

I only have one GP right now,she was given to me by a friend.I am also in the process of finding her a friend and did come across a woman who breeds.I just sent her another messege,as she has some litters due in February and I am interested.I am waiting on her reply and want to go look at the piggies first before making my desicion...I will PM you when I know more.

I also just found out my friend has a GP (another friend) who may need a home.I may take her,but if not...I will give you her contact info.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
First off..."Death Unlimited" is a horrible place and I would not even buy supplies there! You are only giving them more money and supporting their cruel-ness.I have alot of issues with that store.But thats a whole different topic!

I live in St.Johns too (as you know now) and well if you look in "The Buy & Sell" or on "Blue Kaffee" there are always people trying to rehome guinea pigs.Try those two places.I would try them first really.

I only have one GP right now,she was given to me by a friend.I am also in the process of finding her a friend and did come across a woman who breeds.I just sent her another messege,as she has some litters due in February and I am interested.I am waiting on her reply and want to go look at the piggies first before making my desicion...I will PM you when I know more.

I also just found out my friend has a GP (another friend) who may need a home.I may take her,but if not...I will give you her contact info.

Ah yes! i think i know the breeder you're talking about! She contacted me the other day! 3 litters! I'm so pumped! but there's also a little boy pig that i'm going to check out on feb.1st
CAN'T WAIT!

Tags
animal shelter, guinea pig, guinea pig rescue, local animal shelter, pet store, social animals