Getting pigs! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

Getting pigs!

I'm so happy! My mom decided to get me and my sister 2 guinea pigs, not from a pet store, but from my science teacher. She kept like 2 guinea pigs in her class then they had babies, so she decided we can have 2! we're going up to the school tomorrow (shes stuck there teaching summer school). We had to wait until now because they just stop drinking their mothers milk. I'm going to name mine either Noodles, Squishy, or Heidi. Any other name ideas?

Also, I know that introducing gerbils or hammys for the first time they fight, but, my oldest sister had a 4 year old guinea Bucko. He's a male. Do you think they'll like to meet each other? Bucko is SUCH a sweetheart!

Thanks.

By the way, here's a picture of Bucko =]

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

That's really cute! Pics of the other one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
That's really cute! Pics of the other one?
Nooo. That's my oldest sisters Bucko, who I want to introduce to him. I'll get pics tomorrow, when I go get the little guys!

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Rodentologist

Just FYI, if they just stopped drinking mother's milk they're probably about 5 weeks old, and it's likely that female babies may be pregnant. They have to be separated at 3 weeks of age to prevent the males from becoming fertile with their siblings. They often still nurse for comfort for a couple of weeks after that, but they're born fully furred and walking and start eating solid food almost right after being born and can survive without the milk at all if their mom doesn't make it through delivery.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Just FYI, if they just stopped drinking mother's milk they're probably about 5 weeks old, and it's likely that female babies may be pregnant. They have to be separated at 3 weeks of age to prevent the males from becoming fertile with their siblings. They often still nurse for comfort for a couple of weeks after that, but they're born fully furred and walking and start eating solid food almost right after being born and can survive without the milk at all if their mom doesn't make it through delivery.
She said she seperated the males & they ate solid food.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Rodentologist

Oh good. A lot of people think they're like bunnies and can stay with mama longer and then end up with a ton more guinea pigs!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Oh good. A lot of people think they're like bunnies and can stay with mama longer and then end up with a ton more guinea pigs!
She ended up with like 7! So finally she decided to seperate the males because that was enough piggies! haha

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I hope they get along...

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa